I read somewhere that there are 5 things that affect your final tone, one of which is the sort of bridge you have. However, it didn't explain how the bridge affects your tone.

I'm guessing that a guitar with a floating bridge will produce a different tone from a fixed bridge guitar, but how? Also which is better to get if you want a better tone?
FIxed bridges usually have more sustain than a floating tremolo, that's all I really know to be honest, When it comes to tone, the bridge isn't the first thing that comes to my mind.
Fixed bridges have better sustain and arguably a bigger low end compared to floating trems. Overall fixed bridges have better tone, although it is very subjective.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
depends on the tone you want.

as you say, fixed bridge versus trem is the big one- to my ears (and in different-types of guitar, so that's not the only thing affecting the tone), fixed bridges sound more "solid", possibly have a bit more sustain (though a good quality trem with a big steel or brass block should also have decent sustain), whereas trems have more of a "springy" quality to the tone, almost like a slight natural reverb (especially if they're floating), and often sound quite sparkly (if they're vintage strat-style trems).

Of course there are differences depending on the type of trem or hardtail, too.

I like the tone of both trems and hardtails, as i said, it depends on what you want. neither is better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?