Hello,

I am modifying my solid body electric guitar with two humbuckers and I have some questions:

1) From pictures that I have seen online, the bridge humbucker is typically mounted so that the coil with the screws is facing the bridge. I currently have it installed facing the neck. Will this make a difference? Are the magnets the same for each string.

2) I am thinking of installing SPDT and DPDT switches. Are these switches secured in place using just a washer or should I use some kind of adhesive to keep them in place?

3) I plan to put a 1/8" stereo jack input next to 1/4" input for the guitar cable. Are there mounting plates for the smaller 1/8" cables?

Thanks in advance!
1) Everything makes a difference. Question is will you hear it?
Dime used to do this. By putting the hotter coil near the bridge or neck, your bridge pickup will become brighter. Your neck pickup will become bassier.

2) Washer

3) I have not seen one. Look around ebay. I believe it's called an OUTPUT jack

EDIT: Why not just buy a 1/8 to 1/4 converter thing. It'd be much easier. Something like this http://www.swamp.net.au/images/productimages/Large/A_1-8(f)_1-4(m).jpg
Last edited by salgala2000 at Aug 23, 2010,
You want the slug with the screws to face the bridge, cause they are designed that way, and for your neck pickup you want the slug with the screws to face the neck.

On solid body guitars, switches are held in place with nuts and washers, it'll be simple to figure out.

Idk about the 1/8 mounting plate, I've never seen a 1/8 on a guitar, seems impractical to me, 1/8 cables would have a tone of noise.
Well, the mod I'm doing is actually installing a footswitch circuit into the guitar. The 1.8" just needs to carry the 3V or 0V (GND) signal from/to the amp. As long as the jitter in the signal is not too bad it should do the trick.

The reason I'm using the 1/8" jack is because it's less cumbersome than having putting the larger 1/4" jack into the guitar and having to use a second 1/4" cable coming out of the guitar.

In the question about pickups I was more asking if the magnet under the e string is larger than under the E string. Since I have the magnets reversed, the sound may be more bassy now than if it was oriented the right way. I guess I'll just flip the pickup next time that I change strings and check how it sounds.

Thanks
Thanks, I'll look into the converter. Then I'll be able to use a proper mounting plate for it.

salgala2000, I would actually have to drill a new hole for the new jack anyway. By "reversed", do you mean the male 1/8" plug coming out of the guitar?

The other cool thing would be to use a four conductor audio cable. Then I would just need one jack and one cable for both the signals and the footswitch. However, I checked, and nobody makes them.
Yeah, it doesn't sound bad at all on mine either. Would be interesting to see the difference though.
Yea. I thought about recording to hear the difference but my amp and gear is so shitty i probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyways ahah.

I can't seem to find any input cover jacks on ebay...? Maybe there some on stemac... Depending on what kind of guitar this is i suppose you could make your own
Quote by Mishakuz
Well, the mod I'm doing is actually installing a footswitch circuit into the guitar. The 1.8" just needs to carry the 3V or 0V (GND) signal from/to the amp. As long as the jitter in the signal is not too bad it should do the trick.

The reason I'm using the 1/8" jack is because it's less cumbersome than having putting the larger 1/4" jack into the guitar and having to use a second 1/4" cable coming out of the guitar.

In the question about pickups I was more asking if the magnet under the e string is larger than under the E string. Since I have the magnets reversed, the sound may be more bassy now than if it was oriented the right way. I guess I'll just flip the pickup next time that I change strings and check how it sounds.

Thanks

I'm not 100% positive, but I think the rear slug with the screws in it is actually the more powerful coil, because there is less string vibration closer to the bridge, it needs to be more powerful to pick it up and level out the volume so it doesn't phase.
Quote by Mishakuz
The other cool thing would be to use a four conductor audio cable. Then I would just need one jack and one cable for both the signals and the footswitch. However, I checked, and nobody makes them.

Neutrik Speakon NL-4

Maybe try that? Might be a bit ridiculous but it could work ...
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
Last edited by ice condition at Aug 23, 2010,
Wow, thanks! Since I need a new guitar cable anyway, I will probably go with something like this:

Mount: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=092-050&ctab=13#Tabs

Cable: http://www.infinitecables.com/pop/av_sp-q1q1c.htm

It actually costs about the same as a standard 1/4" guitar cable.

Then I will make a splitter to separate the footswitch and the signal from the guitar.