Okay, so I kinda know what a preamp does, but not really
I have a peavey Valveking, and need more gain/better quality. Someone told me I can hook up a preamp to my valking, and use amp models, effects, etc? If so, how does this work? I heard the Axe Fx, and it sounds amazing, but can it be used in a live situation??
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Yes, you can bypass your amp's preamp section completely ONLY if your amp has an effects loop (which the valveking does have). You do this by plugging the output of your preamp you want to use into the effects return jack on your amp.

The AxeFx is the best amp modeler/effects unit on the market right now. The only problem is that it is also one of the more expensive ones as well. And yes, it can be used live quite easily by using a foot controller to switch presets and utilize wahs/volumes/effect parameters.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Yeah, with the AxeFx with a foot controller, you're looking at something in the neighborhood of $2800-3000. Not cheap stuff. Based on your guitars and user title, I'm going to say an Engl E530, Marshall JMP-1, or Rocktron Pirhana is your best bet. I'm pretty sure you can use midi footcontrollers with all of those.

Also, most floor multifx units work as preamps too- Line 6 POD, Vox Tonelab, Digitech RP, and they are cheaper.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by mogar
Yes, you can bypass your amp's preamp section completely ONLY if your amp has an effects loop (which the valveking does have). You do this by plugging the output of your preamp you want to use into the effects return jack on your amp.

The AxeFx is the best amp modeler/effects unit on the market right now. The only problem is that it is also one of the more expensive ones as well. And yes, it can be used live quite easily by using a foot controller to switch presets and utilize wahs/volumes/effect parameters.

+1

this is true, but also don't be afraid of other units if cost is an issue

the standard axe fx cost about 1500 USD, and the ultra is like 2100 USD now, but from what i've heard it's amazing, i'd even go as far to say as perfect, but i think that one more generation of modelers (of this quality, so exclude the lower end line 6 stuff) and it really will be perfect, it's just a time thing, like normal computers

20 years ago, it to a computer the size of a building to just do some fairly complex math, now they can be 100 times as powerful, and be the size of a notepad (EX: iPhone, small Laptops/netbooks)

as far as cheaper preamps

check some of the line 6 pod series, the higher end stuff is definitely useable, and also maybe some stuff like the Digitech RP series, like the RP1000, or maybe the vox tonelab

hope that helps
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by Metalmaker
+1

this is true, but also don't be afraid of other units if cost is an issue

the standard axe fx cost about 1500 USD, and the ultra is like 2100 USD now, but from what i've heard it's amazing, i'd even go as far to say as perfect, but i think that one more generation of modelers (of this quality, so exclude the lower end line 6 stuff) and it really will be perfect, it's just a time thing, like normal computers

20 years ago, it to a computer the size of a building to just do some fairly complex math, now they can be 100 times as powerful, and be the size of a notepad (EX: iPhone, small Laptops/netbooks)

as far as cheaper preamps

check some of the line 6 pod series, the higher end stuff is definitely useable, and also maybe some stuff like the Digitech RP series, like the RP1000, or maybe the vox tonelab

hope that helps

Sweet thanks! I already have an RP500, so i can use this as a preamp by plugging my guitar into the rp500, then rp500 into my effects loop return?
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Quote by TheFireWithinPA
Sweet thanks! I already have an RP500, so i can use this as a preamp by plugging my guitar into the rp500, then rp500 into my effects loop return?

Bingo! hope it sounds nice.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
Bingo! hope it sounds nice.

I did it and WOW!!!! So amazing! Never thought a 200 dollar pedal would sound better than my VK!!! I'm in love, thank you all so much!!
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
I remember having the same exact revelation when I did that, haha it's great huh?
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I remember having the same exact revelation when I did that, haha it's great huh?

Then what happened a month later?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Yeah, with the AxeFx with a foot controller, you're looking at something in the neighborhood of $2800-3000.

What controller are you looking at?!? $800-1000 for a MIDI footswitch?

I see you've already figured out that your RP500 is a preamp, but going off your initial question. The Axe is an awesome unit, very powerful and sounds very realistic, but plugging a $2000 unit into a $400 amp is not something I'd recommend. If you need more gain, I would suggest running an Overdrive pedal in front of your amp's gain channel. This will tighten up the amp and add some saturation, while not coloring the amp's sound so much that it sounds like a totally different amp (unless that's what you want ).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

I see you've already figured out that your RP500 is a preamp, but going off your initial question. The Axe is an awesome unit, very powerful and sounds very realistic, but plugging a $2000 unit into a $400 amp is not something I'd recommend. If you need more gain, I would suggest running an Overdrive pedal in front of your amp's gain channel. This will tighten up the amp and add some saturation, while not coloring the amp's sound so much that it sounds like a totally different amp (unless that's what you want ).

I second this. The axe FX in your case would be a waste of money. You would be much better off selling your current amp and buying a new one.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by MatrixClaw

Thanks, and no, I'm not buying the AxeFx, lol. I seen on youtube and didnt realize how much it costed But I am going to get the Engl E530 because it sounds amazing. Ill run the power amp of my vk and use the E530. Eventually, I'll get a good power amp, but for now, it'll do
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Quote by Talentless
I second this. The axe FX in your case would be a waste of money. You would be much better off selling your current amp and buying a new one.

im not selling it, im getting the Engl E530 as my preamp
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Quote by TheFireWithinPA
im not selling it, im getting the Engl E530 as my preamp

That should of course change the voicing enough for the time being to suit your needs. In the future a good rack mounted effects processor and a good rack mounted power amp will really make your rig amazing!

Good luck with it all!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
That should of course change the voicing enough for the time being to suit your needs. In the future a good rack mounted effects processor and a good rack mounted power amp will really make your rig amazing!

Good luck with it all!

Thanks for the advice and help! Hopefully by next year my rig will be pro
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
E530 is a great choice, I had one till about a year ago and it really hit the spot, nice cleans if a bit brittle, although cranking the clean gain and backin off the vol on the guitar gave much warmer tones in my case, along with crushing gain and a brilliant 4 band EQ on channel 2(Hal loves the low mid pot) had it running through the power section of my old DSL100 so I imagine you will get similarly great results using the VK power section.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso