How would I go about recording using several mics into an interface/mixer into my computer all while keeping the tracks separate for mixing and stuff? I'm thinking about recording drums btw (at least 2 mic inputs, preferably 4). What kind of an interface/mixer would I need (it HAS to be able to work fluently with a computer) to achieve this? It should be pretty cheap too btw.
Thanks.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by Alex Vik
For 2 inputs, any 2 channel interface should work as long as it records in stereo. For more than that, you need USB 2.0 or Firewire interfaces.

Here's a couple USB 2.0 interfaces:
M-Audio FastTrack Ultra
Tascam US-1641

And here are a couple Firewire interfaces:
PreSonus Firepod
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

Ive heard USB mixer boards cant record several track separately without merging them into one stereo track, does this apply to the USB interfaces as well? What are the pros/cons of a mixer board which connects to a computer and just an interface?
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Ive heard USB mixer boards cant record several track separately without merging them into one stereo track, does this apply to the USB interfaces as well? What are the pros/cons of a mixer board which connects to a computer and just an interface?

USB =/= USB 2.0. You're correct about the USB interfaces not recording more than 2 tracks, but the 2.0 interfaces can record more than that (well, most of them can).

If it's a USB mixer, then pros would be that it can be used for mixing live shows and recording from it with just the USB cable instead of hooking up an interface to one of the outputs on it, and if you like a "raw" sound, as long as you can mix well, you can do that easily since you'd be forced to. Cons are that you're really limited after you record something with more than 2 tracks, since you wouldn't be able to edit something specific later (say, a hi pass on a snare or something, unless you had one track for snare and the other for everything else).

If it's a USB 2.0/Firewire mixer, then you're really only limited by the amount of inputs on them, since they generally have less inputs than a mixer or an interface would have at the same (or lower) price. Also, if you use any EQ or aux sends, unless it records with them bypassed, you're stuck with them on the track.
Most USB interfaces mix down but not the M-Audio FastTrack Ultra so you should be fine with that. If you have a firewire interface, I would go with either an M-Audio Profire 2626 or a PreSonus Firestudio Project from the start as you will want more mics and inputs later down the road when recording drums.