...between a Line 6 Spider II with 75W or the Fender Frontamn 212R Combo, which one would you get?
Well, I need one of them for practicing and for small gigs and we mainly play Death-metal.
I have an Esp-ltd-f50 and I'm planning to get also a Boss mt-2.
I would get both amps for the same price (150&euro.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Both of them are going to sound like utter shit, especially with the MT-2, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the Fender, just cause at least it has a usable clean tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
in my opinion the Fender Frontman sounds really nice with the pedal...
Anyways what amp would you suggest to a maximum of 300€?
Quote by MatrixClaw
Both of them are going to sound like utter shit, especially with the MT-2, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the Fender, just cause at least it has a usable clean tone.

this.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah, atleast the Fender sounds somewhat OKish on clean.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by MatrixClaw

+1
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have noticed something: When MC makes a post, everyone agrees with him. Probably because he's gone through more amps than the rest of this forum except for AM, and even with AM it's a maybe..
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I have noticed something: When MC makes a post, everyone agrees with him. Probably because he's gone through more amps than the rest of this forum except for AM, and even with AM it's a maybe..

I have gone through a lot more amps than AM has.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by oneblackened

Without pedals, the Spider would be better for death metal than the Frontman. But because he wants to use a pedal, the amp which is the better platform for pedals should be chosen - which happens to be the Frontman.
Quote by TheQuailman
Without pedals, the Spider would be better for death metal than the Frontman. But because he wants to use a pedal, the amp which is the better platform for pedals should be chosen - which happens to be the Frontman.

Yup, exactly. The Frontman isn't really a bad sounding amp. The cleans are quite usable, the distortion on the other hand isn't that great, but with pedals, that amp can sound far better than the Spider... though one of the worst tones I've ever heard from my life came from a Frontman with an MT-2 plugged into it

Quote by TheQuailman
Chill, nobody's doubting the size of your e-peen.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
And what's so negativ about the MT-2? Many guitarists I know play on it and sound really nice... thanks so far
Quote by oneblackened

Well maybe it's just that he often says things that make sense - whatever the reason.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yup, exactly. The Frontman isn't really a bad sounding amp. The cleans are quite usable, the distortion on the other hand isn't that great, but with pedals, that amp can sound far better than the Spider... though one of the worst tones I've ever heard from my life came from a Frontman with an MT-2 plugged into it

Hmm ok and what pedal would you suggest on the frontman?
Quote by MatrixClaw
I have gone through a lot more amps than AM has.

I was saying the rest of the forum including AM... and it's not like he's gone through 3 or anything.

It's just you've gone through aobut 200
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
The Spider's clean is miles ahead of the Frontman, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I think even AcousticMirror or someone agreed with that.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Nergal1992
And what's so negativ about the MT-2? Many guitarists I know play on it and sound really nice... thanks so far

It sounds shrill and tinny. It's got a tone that was popular in the late '80s and early '90s with thrash and death metal bands, because it sounds really agressive. But it gets tiresome quickly, and it's hardly used anymore nowadays.
There ARE people who like it... but there are also people who like being kicked in the balls by prostitutes.

I find it's tone to be generally unpleasant and from what I've heard, it can have problems cutting through the mix in a band situation.

How good a pedal sounds also depends on how good the amp it's used with is - and the Frontman just isn't that great.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
The Spider's clean is miles ahead of the Frontman, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I think even AcousticMirror or someone agreed with that.

That's complete nonsense.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by MortifiedLizard

The important part is which amp would get along with a dirt box in front of it better. That is clearly the Frontman.
I used to have a Spider III 120w, and the other guitarist in my band had a Frontman 212. His amp sounded better clean, and sounded better dirty too because he had a distortion pedal (I forget what it was). The dirty channels on both amps are quite muddy. The Frontman is particularly bright, but that might've just been because it was EQ'd as such. I could get a decent clean out of my Spider, but I was never happy with any sound I got out of that amp. Now I haz t00bz

Edit: I'm afraid I can't comment on the metal capabilities of either amp. I can tell you that my Spider didn't work well with pedals at all though, so good luck using a high gain pedal with it.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Last edited by BD 425 at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
Well maybe it's just that he often says things that make sense - whatever the reason.

+1 There's no mystery to why people agree with MC:

90% - Know his reputation around here and want to be associated with him.
10% - Actually know what they're talking about, like MC, so naturally agree.

Also I agree with MC, but I'm not telling for which reason.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!