More and more colleges are forcibly separating parents from their snowflakes

Page 1 of 2
A sign of the times, really. Story be here.

This is how attached some parents have gotten to their kids. They literally have so much separation anxiety that they try to stick around during freshman orientation stuff. You've gotta let your kid go, man. "Empty Nest" isn't exactly a new phenomenon, but that American universities are having to explicitly bar parents from these activities is a bit sad.

Discuss. If you've gone away for school, how did your parents handle it? Did you have a hard time getting them to let you get on with it without them?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

went to germany without my parents for 5 days, didnt spare them a text

i dont understand this attitude of keeping your kid inside

edit; i live in london
my mother couldnt wait to get rid of me.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
I went about 5 hours away to college. My parent were fine with it. I still live in Boston which is where I went to college. Only been back home for holidays.

Seriously parent need to let go. When I have kids they're out the door at 18.
First day of school when i was a kid, apparently all the other kids wouldn't leave their mothers and their mothers would't leave them. My mum threw me a packet of crisps, i said thanks and ran off.

I have a feeling my mum'll be fine when i finally get round to leaving.
Some students' (read: JAPs') parents stayed over night with them at my uni orientation. It kind of pissed me off. I'm trying to get drunk and fuck while a bunch of rich girls' daddies are hanging around.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Last edited by walkinbazooka at Aug 23, 2010,
I said goodbye, good luck, good riddance.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
That's gotta be pretty awkward for the kids. Though I can't help but have this weird image of the parents clawing at the gate after it gets closed, though that probably doesn't happen.
don't birds usually force their young out of the nest in a dramatic do or die moment?

I think my mom's a bird.
my mom was really sad when I left, and she's always bugging me to visit.

I mean, I know I SHOULD visit more often, but we don't get along very well when I'm there.
Aw that's really sad.

I love visiting my mum and I miss her loads but we argue all the time when we live together, now I'm finished uni I wouldn't dream of moving home again. She has a great time child-free anyway. And I've never had a clingy relationship with my dad as he lives overseas so neither of us minded me being at uni.
My mom is extremely clingy and possessive and I'm not sure my dad feels any different if I'm there or not. Personally I enjoy spending time away from them, and when I have kids I'm going to let them live their own lives.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
My mother is clingy to the point where if I attempt to make friends, which would make me want to come home less, she will yell at me and at times randomly hit me.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by Kensai
My mom is extremely clingy and possessive and I'm not sure my dad feels any different if I'm there or not. Personally I enjoy spending time away from them, and when I have kids I'm going to let them live their own lives.

This.

First year away was great because I barely talked to my parents. Its mainly my mom, she is super clingy. She wants everyone to be close so badly that its best to just keep our distance.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
My parents have already decided what they're doing with my room if I get into uni.

I still have another year of A levels yet.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I know what that article's on about! My mum took ages helping me move into uni, had to be damn near dragged out by my stepdad! Then nearly turned round and came back when she was driving home...

Even in my second year of uni, I can'r really get away without sending her a text pretty much every day, and I'm home every three or four weeks.

Personally, I can't stand it! After two years of uni, I'm pretty much able to look after myself. Hell, I'm planning on moving to Australia once I graduate.
However, I can't really tell her to bugger off, cos she gives me some money every month. No way I'd be able to afford to live without it. Expensive ass rent...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
3 years ago i was dropped off at the door of my apartment. Didnt see my parents for another 2 months
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
I just moved in for my sophomore year of college (university?) today. It wasn't too bad. My mom likes to try and tell me how I should arrange the room, and she's obsessive about trying to make sure I have everything I could ever possibly need. My dad's more reasonable. But once we got everything moved in we went and got some lunch and they were on their way.

I'm only like 45 minutes away from home anyway, and I'll be back there often enough.
I pretty much had to kick my mum out of my flat on the very first day of uni.
Now she's ok with it. My parents actually prefer it now I'm not around the house.
Seeing them at christmas, easter and summer is plenty enough for us all now. I get on better with my parents now I don't live with them all the time. It means I actually have something to talk about with them, whereas when I was at school I'd get annoyed because they'd ask me what I did everyday. Not much happened that was different each school day, and if it was I didn't want to talk about it with them. Now I have 3 months worth of material.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
I pretty much had to kick my mum out of my flat on the very first day of uni.
Now she's ok with it. My parents actually prefer it now I'm not around the house.
Seeing them at christmas, easter and summer is plenty enough for us all now. I get on better with my parents now I don't live with them all the time. It means I actually have something to talk about with them, whereas when I was at school I'd get annoyed because they'd ask me what I did everyday. Not much happened that was different each school day, and if it was I didn't want to talk about it with them. Now I have 3 months worth of material.

That's close to how it was with me, and I doubt they would have left without meeting my roommate if I had been at home more often over the last year before uni.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

My university is a 40 minute trip by subway. My parents haven't had to deal with separation anxiety. they're pretty chill

I imagine if I were to go far away though, my dad would still be cool with it. he's laid back. My mom however would be hanging on to my pant legs begging me not to leave.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Aug 23, 2010,
I'm 16 and American and I've gone on road trips down the east coast to Florida (from Pennsylvania) sleeping in the car the whole time. My parents didn't have trouble, they knew I was responsible enough to take care of myself.
I have no sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't seen my mom in like, 9 months and she doesn't seem to give a ****, so she will remain unaffected by anything I do, such as going to college. My dad will definitely miss me, but he won't be too clingy. I mean, I've gone on vacations without him several times and only texted to tell him things like when my flight's getting in so he can pick me up at the airport.
I'm leaving for school on Thursday morning and my dad didn't come with me to orientation, nor is he going with me on move in day. I will be about four hours away and when I told him I'll come back every fifth or sixth weekend, he insisted that I don't even bother
PeaceLoveUnityRespect
My mother cries every time I leave for college.

I don't think my Dad does, but he's sad to see me go as well.

I get phone calls from home all the time.

Fml.
Quote by Frets-On-Fire
I'm 16 and American and I've gone on road trips down the east coast to Florida (from Pennsylvania) sleeping in the car the whole time. My parents didn't have trouble, they knew I was responsible enough to take care of myself.

Dude. I've followed you before. Damn I thought you were gonna kill somebody.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I always thought my mom was a little more psycho than the rest. Glad to see I'm not the only one.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
drove me there, helped me move my stuff from the car to my room, took me to the store so i could buy some food and other items, then hugged me and said good bye. my parents were always pretty rational about it. my mom still cries every time though.

my second year of college, my roommate brought his mom, dad, sister, grandma and grandpa with him when he moved in. i came back to my room after going to the store and it was full of people unpacking all his shit. i kinda just put my stuff down on my bed then went for a walk.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Well, I got a pretty tough situation.

My dad died when I was 4 years old so me and my mum have grown close togeter because we never had anyone else.

Now I'll be commuting to Uni which I don't mind because I still need her and she still needs me. We are a pretty good team. I know that eventually we have to separate, but it'll be VERY difficult.

In the last couple of year since there has been talk about uni she has been insisting on us staying together. Which is fine with me because we are financially and emotionally limited.

Idk,

I've moved out once, but I was more or less kicked out.

My parents are all on my ass to go to college after sitting at home pissing away my time for over a year.
I come home some weekends. I've been living at home most of the summer but I find excuses to go back to Dublin as often as possible. I love my parents, and I get on really really well with my Dad, but my Mam can be hypercritical and pretty overprotective so living at home can get pretty irritating if I have to stay too long.

I have worked as an orientation guide in the university last year and it was kinda sad to see the parents following their kids around, I don't think they realise how awkward their making it for their kids.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Universities in Venezuela don't have residences inside the campus or anything, and usually are located in the middle of a city, so we don't have that problem unless you're studying in another city.

Quote by Callum89
my mother couldnt wait to get rid of me.

Also this, she says she'll miss me (I'll be studying in another city) but I'm sure it's bullshit.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

I move out in about a month, I think my dad will be pretty sad about it, but will give me space. I've heard stories of parents pulling their kids out of college, which is sad.

That and it's only an hour away, so they could visit at any time :/
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I live in LA, going to college at Penn State University Park, its a nearly 6 hour plane ride and one of the furthest point on the continental united states. My mom had a hard time and cried, and i hugged my dad for the second time in my entire life before they left lol. IDK i kinda understand my mom being more sad because shes more attatched, and im not coming home for holidays other than christmas, but its all good.
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
my second year of college, my roommate brought his mom, dad, sister, grandma and grandpa with him when he moved in. i came back to my room after going to the store and it was full of people unpacking all his shit. i kinda just put my stuff down on my bed then went for a walk.

I'm glad my roommate didn't show up while my family was helping me move in last year, 'cuz that shit went ridiculously bad. It woulda been awkward times for everyone.

Everything was cool this year though.
I'm leaving for college in TWO WEEKS! I'm like crazy excited, but my Mom is probably gonna freak out on move in day. Both me and my Dad have been counting down when I finally move out ever since I graduated High School!
"When that day comes I shall Futterwacken ... vigorously."
~ The Mad Hatter

Page 1 of 2