So I just thought, as when rosewood and ebony fretboards start wearing out, you condition them.

So what happens to maple fretboards, you just let them die or they last 10 years or what??
Yes, maple usually dies, shrivels up and falls off the guitar within 10 years......

No. Rosewood and Ebony boards have no finish and are raw wood. They need to be conditioned every now and then to keep the wood from drying out.

Maple boards have a finish applied over them, no conditioning required. Just clean when needed.
Quote by Matt420740
Yes, maple usually dies, shrivels up and falls off the guitar within 10 years......

No. Rosewood and Ebony boards have no finish and are raw wood. They need to be conditioned every now and then to keep the wood from drying out.

Maple boards have a finish applied over them, no conditioning required. Just clean when needed.

If you play the guitar a LOT (and I mean a LOT) you might get some raw wood. But that takes literally decades of playing. Look at Blackie. I don't think I've seen a more beat up neck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Above are correct... if you get some dirt built up a dry cotton cloth should get it off, though it may require a dab of rubbing alcohol on the rag to clean it.
I wished my necks looked like blackies....beat up strats give me a boner hahahahaha lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Most maple boards have a finish on them, but some are actually raw maple. Raw maple is a PITA and usually looks like shit after not too long. It can be cleaned with naptha or murphys oil soap. I had a Caparison with a raw maple board and within a few months it was noticably darker than when new and will never look as clean as it used to when new. I also have an old Jackson with an unfinished maple board and this is what it looks like after years of playing. Mind you the guitar well very well taken care of and the body is mint.

ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by yellowv
Most maple boards have a finish on them, but some are actually raw maple. Raw maple is a PITA and usually looks like shit after not too long. It can be cleaned with naptha or murphys oil soap. I had a Caparison with a raw maple board and within a few months it was noticably darker than when new and will never look as clean as it used to when new. I also have an old Jackson with an unfinished maple board and this is what it looks like after years of playing. Mind you the guitar well very well taken care of and the body is mint.

I think it looks really cool like that....why does everyone bash on me for liking beat up guitars? Lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Oh I agree. I love the look of it. That guitar has tons of mojo. It was well cared for with some relicing from playing and not that fake ass shit Fender charges a fortune for.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500