I have read an article on chord sequences on this site and its cleared alot up, what i learned was : -

To find the chords that match a key you take the 135 notes and check the 135 notes in their own keys, if its a 1 3 5 its maj, 1 b3 5 minor and 1b3 b5 is diminished.

I was wondering firstly if flattening the 3 and 5 would not only make a chord diminished but a scale aswell eg. is C D Eb F Gb A B a Cdim scale??

Also what are the other 3 (The article said there was 3) triad formula's and which keys would they apply to?

Any other information you would find necassary for me to know at this point would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks alot
It wouldn't make the scale minor in itself, but it would give it a minor feel. If you do it the way you are saying, you'd end up with the formula of a 1 2 b3 4 5 6 6 scale. Which techniqually isnt the natural minor. Natural minor is 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7. Same goes for the diminished scale. Just making the tonic chord into whatever chord won't make the scale major or minor.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/chords/what_chords_are_in_what_key_and_why.html

Its that article, everything up until he starts talking about adding 7ths.

@ Sean, thanks for that, also what is the formula for Aug chords?

@Zinnie, I know that the chords played wouldnt change the overall key that was a scale not a chord formula sorry if I wasnt clear

Im under the impression that the scale makes the key? correct me if Im wrong
Last edited by MWriff at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by MWriff
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/chords/what_chords_are_in_what_key_and_why.html

Its that article, everything up until he starts talking about adding 7ths.

@ Sean, thanks for that, also what is the formula for Aug chords?

@Zinnie, I know that the chords played wouldnt change the overall key. that was a scale not a chord formula sorry if I wasnt clear

Im under the impression that the scale makes the key? correct me if Im wrong

1. 1 3 #5

2. Somewhat. What makes the key is the tonic (where it sounds complete). Scales are based around a tonic. The thing that makes the key, is all about where it resolves. Otherwise, each scale would be its own key. Scales are used to center and manipulate the resolution to a specific note.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Last edited by FacetOfChaos at Aug 23, 2010,