I have found an amp on craigslist that im very interested in and im fairly certain that i will end up buying it. It's a Carvin XV112. But, I've never bought something off of craigslist before so im looking for some advice. I obviously want to try out the amp first to see how it sounds and to see that it works properly. I've heard that its best to set up meetings in public areas, but im not sure where to go. Somewhere where i can test it and make the exchange that's public. I not sure, maybe i have the wrong idea entirely, can anyone that's bought an amp on craigslist give me some advice?
Ive traded before. Id say buy one of those converter things for your car. You plug it into your lighter and then you have like 2 outlets. That way you can plug the amp into the converter and test it in your car, or you can take the risk. Craigslist can be sketchy, but not everyone is bad. I buy/sell a lot on craigslist.
Email them. Have them either come to you or you go to them. Most people on craigslist are trustworthy. Sadly the world sucks and every now and then someone ends up with some psychotic jackass.

Basically if you feel comfortable with letting a stranger into your home (garage, whatever). That's the easiest way to test run an amp.
Think For Yourself, Question Authority - Dr. Timothy Leary

Quote by Poopsmith666
[21:09] im so canadian i piss maple syrup and i shit the beavers!

Quote by theyab
[1:01] im 21 years old i know how to jerk off
When I use craigslist, I've always had people meet at my house. Despite weather is buying or selling.

Although, I have heard of people meeting people at local Guitar Centers, Dadds, even like Wal-Mart parking lots. But if you want to try it out (which I do advise), best bet would be meeting at one of your houses.

Also, if your afraid of someone coming and robbing you ( ), get one of your larger friends, and have him accompany you.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Okay thanks, but what if he doesn't want to drop it off and wants me to come to his house to test it out?
Quote by kmac1337
Okay thanks, but what if he doesn't want to drop it off and wants me to come to his house to test it out?

If you're not comfortable, don't do it. But I always suggest that try it out before you buy it. Try to meet at a local music shop...guitar center, best buy, etc. If that won't work out, buy a power converter like mentioned earlier (they're inexpensive) and have the guy meet you at a public place like a walmart or mcdonalds parking lot. I've never been too worried about meeting people on craigslist to buy/sell stuff...but then again, I have a conceal & carry permit
Quote by kmac1337

Just show up with a box of condoms, some wine coolers, and a bag of doritios and hope Chris Hansen isn't there.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Just show up with a box of condoms, some wine coolers, and a bag of doritios and hope Chris Hansen isn't there.

sigged.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Seriously though, just decide if you feel comfortable or not, based on your size, age etc., the location, and what contact you've had with the guy up until this point. I've done probably 30 CL transactions and I felt good going into each one and coming out. On a few occasions I've left the cash in my car until I was ready to buy, but for the most part I didn't sweat it.

Let someone know where you're going though, so you don't end up in a well for 2 months.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Okay, thanks for all the advice guys, one last thing. If i were to meet him at Guitar Center to make the transaction and test the amp, we could just walk in with all the gear and plug it in and play? Sorry, I haven't been to guitar center much at all.
Quote by kmac1337
Okay, thanks for all the advice guys, one last thing. If i were to meet him at Guitar Center to make the transaction and test the amp, we could just walk in with all the gear and plug it in and play? Sorry, I haven't been to guitar center much at all.

Yeah. I've never been hassled about it. If they do, tell them it's your amp and you want to try different guitars on it...or that it's your guitar and you're looking for a new amp, etc. depending on what gear you're testing out.
Quote by kmac1337

Ya they may try to give you crap, just say 'I wanted to come here because I buy all my stuff here, and that way if I needed a cable or something I could grab it while I'm here.' That should show enough loyalty to get them off your back.

Good luck, use your best judgement and you'll be fine.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!