So I've been writing songs for a good while now, but the only thing that's keeping me from being able to perform in front of people right now is my singing, as I've only been practicing singing for a little while now. I can play guitar and write lyrics fairly well, just not sing well. Problem is, I don't really know how to get better (inb4 practice duh), because I don't really know what I'm doing wrong exactly. To give an idea of how my singing is, I uploaded a recording of a song I wrote on my profile (it's the one that's untitled). I already know I messed up on a couple parts though, but I didn't want to get bogged down in making sure the recording was perfect, as I'm such a perfectionist I wouldn't be satisfied even after like 20 takes, so I just did it in one take. Also, I apologize for the poor quality of the recording, I need to get a better recorder >.>...
"Love everything. Know nothing."

"What do you mean 'do you even know how to play bongo drums?'?! Do I not have hands?! And pot?!"
Play with other people. People with vocal background and experience, since that's what you're looking for right!? Haha. Having an extra set of ears around to give some GOOD constructive criticism is something every budding musician should appreciate!
Quote by Tire Me.
Dumbledore wasn't the only headmaster that night.

Quote by CTFOD

I can impersonate Emperor Palpatine, Bob Dylan and the Joker. Simultaneously.

Quote by Kumanji
Why sho blowin' in the wind, Jedi?
Problem with that is that I don't know anyone who can sing well. I know plenty of amazing musicians, but none of them sing, and I'm too poor to afford voice lessons, so I'm effectively alone in my efforts aside from getting advice from this forum.

"What do you mean 'do you even know how to play bongo drums?'?! Do I not have hands?! And pot?!"
If you're in school, I suggest you try joining a school choir.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Or sign up for singing classes in a community college. Most likely they will make you sing classical songs there, but they are actually really good for your singing techniques.
I'm in high school, but I'm a senior, and it's too late to switch out of any classes, so taking a class in school isn't really an option.

Quote by TheJake1
I'm in high school, but I'm a senior, and it's too late to switch out of any classes, so taking a class in school isn't really an option.

Then sign up for a community college.
I don't exactly have the time or the means to do that, as I don't have a car and couldn't get a steady ride to and from the nearest community college :/.

Hey man I just listened to your recording, and I must say, it didn't sound half bad.

If you want criticism though, it sounded like you were whispering. I'd like to hear you sing out more. Try expanding (and tightening it when it's expanded) your lower abdomen, this should help you get more power. Then just go at it.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Thanks, constructive negative criticism is what I prefer when receiving criticism :p, so thanks, I'll work on that more.