Alrighto chaps. Time i got an upgrade from my current guitar. I'm not purchasing this yet, so my budget can extend to around 600/700 euros since i'm saving up for it.

Now, what i want is:
- 3 pickup configuration, HSH
- fixed bridge

I have a Tone Zone for it so i'd rather have a "treblier" wood, unlike basswood, but i know a few PGMs are basswood and carry a Tone Zone, and i love Gilberts sound so that might be a meh point.

I've found this http://www.thomann.de/pt/ibanez_rg1451_whp.htm particular model, but i'd like to know if it's really worth it, or if there are similar better models in that price range, or for less, since i'm not quite familiar with all their guitars.

I'm open to all suggestions, and thank you all for the assistance.
Last edited by f0xy at Aug 23, 2010,
i haven't tried that specific model, but it's prestige, which generally means it should be pretty good, it's japanese-made and all that. EDIT: if you want the HSH pickup layout and a fixed bridge you mightn't have too many other choices anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an ibanez Xiphos X300, and it has basicly all the things you want on it. I'm not sure how it converts to Euros, but it was around $350 American. My only issue is that if you use a cable with an angled head, you can't plug in to the guitar, but a good 15 dollar cable from radio shack fixed that.
@Hibberdijibbit:

I can only find this :

And this:

When i search for your model, only the above has a fixed bridge, and it lacks the middle pickup, also i don't have anything against you guitar, but i find its shape rather displeasing.
Thanks for the help though mate.
Why an Ibanez?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
Why an Ibanez?

I've tried a few and loved the feel, also, some of my favourite players use them. I am perfectly open to trying other brands, though i'd prefer something similarly shaped and with easy fret access. I'm really leaning towards an Ibanez though, i just loved playing the ones i tried out.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Assumably you want HSH and not HSS, in which case a few SA models would be in your sights (unless you really need 24 frets or dislike the S shape).

I forgot that part, added to OP. Yeah i'd prefer 24 frets but it's not a necessity, so i'll take a look at that series.

EDIT: Oh god, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SZR720-Electric-Guitar-518117-i1449513.gc i might consider dropping the middle pickup for this one. Has anyone tried or heard it ? And in terms of specs and overall quality, is it better then the one on the OP ? (I doubt it)
That guitar isn't a prestige, meaning it won't be as high quality as the initial one you posted, though there's no doubt it'll still be a great guitar.
Looks pretty stunning too.

Personally I could never get on with the SZ series due to it's bridge, but if you're fine with that they're good guitars.
yeah i haven't tried that exact one, but the couple of szs I've tried weren't as nice as the MIJ prestige ibanezes i have tried.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
are you absolutely sure you want that middle pickup?
I was all about the HSS config until i got a guitar with HSS, at which point i learned that I keep hitting the middle pickup with my pick which is bloody annoying. I'm at the verge of taking out the single coil in the middle (which is a real shame since its a BKP!
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by Eskil Rask
are you absolutely sure you want that middle pickup?
I was all about the HSS config until i got a guitar with HSS, at which point i learned that I keep hitting the middle pickup with my pick which is bloody annoying. I'm at the verge of taking out the single coil in the middle (which is a real shame since its a BKP!

Lower the pup.

I would go for a Prestige of some sort, it'll be a keeper for life.
Quote by f0xy
, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SZR720-Electric-Guitar-518117-i1449513.gc i might consider dropping the middle pickup for this one. Has anyone tried or heard it ? And in terms of specs and overall quality, is it better then the one on the OP ? (I doubt it)

The one in the OP is better. and if you liked RG necks and other thinner necks you may not like this one. I played it, and I found the neck to be a bit uncomfortable in comparison to an RG. It's thicker.

You should still try it if you have the opportunity.

And if you're okay with blocking a floyd you can still look into all the other prestige RGs you want.

With a blocked floyd you still get the freedom of changing tunings whenever you want, AND you get the tuning stability of the double locking design.
Quote by siverstorm
With a blocked floyd you still get the freedom of changing tunings whenever you want, AND you get the tuning stability of the double locking design.

So let me get this straight, if i get a floyd and block it, it'll be just as easy to change tunings as a fixed bridge, AND i'll get better tuning stability ?

Also, @ Eskil Rask, yeah, i'm sure i want the middle pickup, i'm used to playing guitars with a HSS config so hitting with a pick isn't much of a problem, and i can always lower it.

@ Arterial Brilliant guitar, but as you said, no middle pickup.
Last edited by f0xy at Aug 24, 2010,
Basically. Yes.

Also you get increased sustain by blocking it. You can google it in case you're not 100% sure on how to do it.

The only thing is when you change tunings you also gotta unlock the nut. (Which is prolly about 10-20 seconds of more work, not an issue at all.)

I blocked my floyd and I can change tunings between standard, half step down, drop D, Drop Db, Drop C with no problems.
Yea, good luck searching, you can prolly get a nice Prestige Ibanez RG with your budget and just block it now.
Blocking the tremolo may provide you with a feeling almost identical to a hardtail and the option for fully floating if you do so need it, but you'll have the pointless hassle of the locking bridge without the benefits while it's in hardtail.

The insert for the bar on my S470 broke, so now it's been sorted so it's essentially a hardtail, but it's soo annoying still.

Personally I'd go for a hardtail unless you're planning on using it floating all the time (unless you get like, a trem-setter or something that allows you to switch between with ease) just to stop any hassle.
^By hassle are you reffering to re-stringing?

That's nothing...really....Once you block the bridge and have it level with the body you shouldn't have any problems.

"but you'll have the pointless hassle of the locking bridge without the benefits while it's in hardtail."

You have the perfect tuning stability assuming the one you buy has a good system.

If you complain about the hassle of restringing a blocked floyd then it's not the guitar with the problem.

A floating floyd would be worse especially for beginners, which TS is not. because they'd also have to worry about adjusting tension in the back and whatnot. With a block all those issues don't apply.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Blocking the tremolo may provide you with a feeling almost identical to a hardtail and the option for fully floating if you do so need it, but you'll have the pointless hassle of the locking bridge without the benefits while it's in hardtail.

The insert for the bar on my S470 broke, so now it's been sorted so it's essentially a hardtail, but it's soo annoying still.

Personally I'd go for a hardtail unless you're planning on using it floating all the time (unless you get like, a trem-setter or something that allows you to switch between with ease) just to stop any hassle.

No hassle really, I also prefer a locked nut and fine tuners over machine head tuning. That said, I keep mine floating.

Those tremsetters and the Ibanez similar system (although better) are pretty useless IMO.
@Punk_Ninja
If the hassle you're referring to is unlocking the top locking bar every time i want to switch tunings, it's not much of a problem then. Also, if that's the only hassle having increased sustain and tunning stability brings, i'm up for it.

@siverstorm
"A floating floyd would be worse especially for beginners, which TS is not." Why thank you

Also, found this model : http://www.thomann.de/pt/ibanez_rg1550mz_bk.htm
Has an Edge Zero bridge with a zero point locking system, wich after some reading, seems great, any thoughts on it ?
The general opinion is that the edge zero is harder to setup than other ibanez trems..it's a great trem,although I don't like it that much

and whoever said that changing strings on FR is hard is an idiot...when you learn how to set em up correctly it's easy...and hardtails are NOT better than FR's.. I hate hardtails elitists
Hey hey, calm down mate, i don't have hate for FR, nor am I a hardtail elitist, i just never use the tremolo arm, never. Also, being harder to setup isn't exactly a problem, since when i get it i'm probably going to leave at the shop for a proper setup, even i don't there's nothing that can't be done with time and practice.
Last edited by f0xy at Aug 24, 2010,
The Edge Zero is a good trem. It's actually my favorite bridge. It's incredibly easy to change tunings and strings. All you have to do is turn a knob, unlock the nut, and tune as normal. It literally takes about a minute more than a fixed bridge. There's no delicate balancing because there's a wide range where the system will work perfectly. And it stays in tune for weeks due to the locking. It also doesn't worble and the strings don't detune with bending. It always returns to perfect pitch, even from a pull-up. I also find it to be the most comfortable bridge I've played. Second is the Tight-End but you're also considering a guitar with that.

I would also suggest looking at a FR1620. It has the same neck as the RG Prestiges and it has an ash body with a Tight End bridge. It doesn't have a middle pickup, but it does have coil-splitting abilities that sound really good and arguably better than the middle pickup on RGs. I'm not sure about the price though.
@JELIFISH19
It's like a weird blend of a tele and, well, something else. I don't if i love it or hate it, but it is a rather special body shape, i think i'm leaning torwards the love side, i have to try one of those out. To be fully honest, although i do want a middle pickup, i have been more keen on it than now.
I don't think there are too many HSH hard-tail guitars out there. You could always look at a Strat, make sure it's got the HSH-rout, and then kit it out yourself, but then you wouldn't have the ibby neck. You could also get some kind of HSS (of any brand) and put a mini-bucker in the bridge. Then you'd have lots more options, but again, no wizard neck.

I think you're down to either the 1451 (or whatever it is), or accepting the (very slight) hassle of having a trem and blocking it.

The 1570 or 1550 RGs are great. You may want to upgrade the pups, but the rest of the guitar is really nice.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.