Hey MT, so i´ve decided to get a little deeper into my Ear Training. Since i´ve started studying theory (got the basic concepts down) i´ve learnt about intervals, and got linked to various websites or softwares i could get that would help me recognize intervals by ear. So i know what an interval IS. My queston is though, how will recognizing intervals help me develop my ear? In the way that, how will it help me transcribe songs?
I already transcribe songs by ear, but they are mainly songs with riffs and power chords; i have a hard time transcribing songs that use chords, especially chords i´m not familiar with. So i think the problem might be linked to this whole interval thing. Not sure how though. So my question is, why should i learn to recognize intervals by ear? You know, with the trainers and associating common melodies (happy birthday, etc) to each interval. What are practical benefits of it?

Cheers
For one, it makes it easier to write songs. Say you have a melody in your head, then you use your ability to recognize intervals to write it out on guitar (or whatever instrument you play) much faster than just guess and checking. Hell, if you get good enough, you won't even need an instrument, just some blank sheet music.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
When you're able to identify intervals, it makes it much easier to identify chords and such. And as rockingamer said, it will make composing stuff much easier.
everything

edit: when you transcribe a song you can basically figure out one note to the next by knowing what the interval sounds like, while using other factors such as the chords behind the melody. Having a good ear for intervals also helps you figure out chords and it gives you a good idea of what something is going to sound like before you play it, so in turn it with make you a better composer and improviser
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by stickfigurekill
When you're able to identify intervals, it makes it much easier to identify chords and such. And as rockingamer said, it will make composing stuff much easier.

To piggyback off this - when you hear the chord, try to imagine that you just heard it arpeggiated instead of strummed, meaning you heard each individual tone that makes up the chord. If you can play back a chord like this in your head and you have the basic intervals internalized, you should be able to ear out a lot of voicings yourself.
Okay...so it will actually help me to transcribe chords? But what i dont get is how is it possible to hear the chords for its individual notes, pick up the intervals being played. In most songs, chords are strummed fast so it´s pretty impossible to pick up the individual intervals/notes that make them up. It´s only on easy songs like House of The Rising Sun, for example, because the bass note gives the chord away and they are played really slowly so you can hear all the invidual notes...

I just want to make sure that the interval trainer will actually help me in some way, whether it´s transcribing or something...

Thanks for the responses everyone
After I internalized intervals, I found I was always able to arpeggiate a chord in my head. It helps if you pause the song when you hear the chord so that the last thing you heard was that chord.
Yes it will definitely help with transcribing as well as improvising. It is an area I lack study in. When Improvising, it helps to know intervals when you want to start playing leaps. Generally I will here a note in my head, but I don't know what interval it is. Being able to recognize the interval you hear is important. Most of the time I have a good idea of where it is on the guitar, I just don't think about it in terms of intervals. This is how alot of my favorite guitarist played. They had a different relationship with their guitar. One you wouldn't be able to learn from because it was unique to them. It certainly won't hurt you.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
Another thing I've found is that for the style of music I like to write, I enjoy using two-note harmonic intervals to write the rhythm part. It keeps me away from sounding like everybody that uses triads and sevenths exclusively in their songwriting, plus the two tones sound way better than five or six string barre and open chord voicings when applying distortion.
intervals are the building blocks of harmony and melody. if you know your intervals well enough you can transcribe anything by ear. all you need to do is figure out one note and the rest is done. it also helps with writing and improvising because you know what something is going to sound like before you play it.
be careful in ear training traps!!! I.E. here comes the bride is I to IV (perfect fourth), N.B.C. is I to VI to IV!!! (major sixth) these helpful hints are often taught wrong and can be very destructive to the ear!!! I may offend when I say You are better off learning twinkle twinkle, mary had a little lamb, and london bridge in one key first, then to worry about intervals, they often turn the ear off!!!!