see the title? pretty self explanitory

i mainly would like input from users of them, whether ernie ball, d'addario, or elixers

what do the different types of coatings do tone/endurance/feel- wise

are they worth the extra cash?

is there a "best"?

EDIT: Also, include information for both acoustic and electric if you can

thanks
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Last edited by Metalmaker at Aug 23, 2010,
Almost all Elixirs and Ernie Ball strings feel really smooth, like they are coated grease, I personally like D'Addairo's EXP's because they sound the best and don't feel like coated strings.

You sacrifice some tone with any coated string though, so beware.
Elixir's are the most evenly coated string. I can't find a diagram, but some string coats can bunch up on a certain side of the string and affect the how the strings resonate.
I noticed that they feel really smooth, but I haven't experienced any massive change in my electric guitar tone, but I haven't tried coated acoustic strings.
I did however have a set of DR coated strings that lasted about 2 months before one broke. They only felt like they were 2 week old normal strings at this point.
I don't use them exclusively though, but they're a nice change for sure. Worth the money is totally up to if shelling out a couple more $'s is a problem to your budget or not.
well, i guess what i'm looking for is better bang for buck in a way, if the strings can last like, 3 months, especially in my area (coast of the gulf of mexico, where it's 80% humidity and like 90+ degrees like 300 days out of the year) then that would mean they are basically the same as d'addarios which i use that currently only stay non-tarnished (the non wound strings like the high e) for about 2-3 weeks

so that's why i'm interested, it would be no difference except better strings for longer, and less restringing

thanks so far
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
ive found that elixers last a very good while, i live near san antonio texas and mine lasted 4-5 months before i needed to change strings
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Just personal opinion... they're a waste of money. The feel and sound is subjective, but I generally find them flat sounding. The slightly different feel on your fingers can be a love/hate thing. I also don't find they last much longer, because as you play them the coating wears off and makes a mess (really noticeable on colored strings). I know Cleartones don't actually have a coating that can flake off like that but the others generally do. It's probably a better deal to just buy two packs of strings and just remember to wipe them off every time you play, which will greatly extend the life of them (and your hardware).
The D'addario EXPs I used lasted as long as an uncoated pack of D'addarios.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
My dad's Taylor 314CE has had the same set of Elixirs on it for years at a time, with no tonal degradation at all. They can last a long time. ("Can" is a poignant word there.)

But having experimented with them myself, I can't stand coated strings. By and large they sound fine to me (especially on acoustics). But they just feel nasty as all hell.

Strings are subjective. Hell, guitar in general is subjective, but strings are especially so. Try some out.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 23, 2010,