Page 1 of 2
Alright so I'm wanting to get more into playing blues and for my birthday i got $75 and I want to get some kind of pedal. I'm wanting a wah or light distortion/overdrive. For wahs I was thinking something like a morely classic, a modtone mt, or a vox v845. And theres only 2 overdrive pedals that i could think of that would be good for blues and thats the digitech screamin blues or the boss bd2. So what would be best? Any other suggestions are welcome.

My current setup is an unknown harmony or a strat ripoff straight to a peavy vypyr (yeah i know).
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
The tubescreamer on the vypyr on a clean channel is pretty decent. Or you could save up for a real one. (Only $25 more for a new ts-9)
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
Nothing wrong with a Vypyr. They take pedals fairly well, so you should be ok.

What about a fuzz? You could get a Big Muff or something.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Vypers take pedals well? I wasn't aware of that, that's really cool.. Everytime I see a post/thread about a Vyper, it makes me more and more interested in them and makes me feel like the Roland Cube 30 I had was trash in comparison
I had forgot about a fuzz and a vypyrs just a lot more geared towards metal and I like tube amps a lot better. And what kind of fuzz would be good for blues?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
I like the vypyr. Was gonna get one myself, but instead got a vox tonelab st (like it) and a raven amp (hate it). To be on topic, i never was fond of digitech except for the whammy. That being said, i think you would be better off with boss
EDIT: i agree with the big muff as well

SECOND EDIT: you could also go with an mxr distortion+
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
Last edited by TheWizard42 at Aug 23, 2010,
Awesome, my budget just went up to $175 so new suggestions?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
If those are the two OD pedals your set on, I would probably go with Boss. However you could save up some more money and get yourself a Maxon OD-9. Or you could just use a bluesy sound on your Vypyr, I'm sure theres a good bluesy overdrive on there somewhere. I'm assuming its not one of the tube vypyrs based on your budget (curse you Peavey for making some tube amps under the same name as a solid state amp, they are not the same.) The SS vypyr is still pretty good though. Much better than a Line 6. As for a wah, I like Morley pedals, but I don't have an opinion on the other two.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

I say an mxr. They use analog circuits, so theres no computed digital feel. Its completely real. The distortion III is also good imo
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
ok you're trying to play blues, correct?
do not get a distortion pedal, get an overdrive. fuzz isn't that necessary, imo, at least not before you get yourself a decent od
Yea the mxr dist III is more in the side of a transparent od. You should probably go try some pedals out yourself to see what exactly you want
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
marshall blues breaker 2?? it doubles as a clean boost and distortion, i have one and it is well equipped for blues, i also have a vox wah and its pretty good
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
if i could i would but, i'm the only serious electric player in my town and theres not a music store for at least 50 miles.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Just my opinion, but a Vox wah and a TS9 (based on your budget).

If you have extra cash a mate of mine recently got one of these and it sounds great through his Fender Deluxe-clone-combo (hand-built "experiment" by a local wanting to get into the boutique business...)
well since i got the extra 100 i think i'm going to get a fender champ or epi valve junior and an od pedal, i want something that will give me enough drive that i won't have clean spots if i don't play loud enough but i really don't want screaming metal either somewhere in between in short.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Keep saving up for a tube amp bro...no pedal is gonna give you that sound with a solid state amp....
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
yeah i know that, moneys really hard to come by for a 15 year old though.
But it'll be good that i already have pedals when i get a tube amp because then i'll be able to get a tone that sounds ok with the vypyr but even better with a tube amp.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Trust me bro I know how it is being 15 and needing gear....I guess I would get a tube screamer if I were you then or a ds-1 and roll the tone almost all the way down...just don't get discouraged when it don't sound like you want it to bro

if i got a ds-1 i'd mod it up and I'm probably gonna get a bd-2 or something similar and maybe a wah or just get a rack for all my guitars and stock up on strings
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
when i was 15 i dropped a grand on a computer, and bought a $400 guitar in the same year. all you need to do is find a job, or find a way to work and make money. people make it out as really tough to get money when you are young, but it isnt. it just takes effort to find places that hire bussboys, lifeguards (indoor pools now that summer is over), or whatever. they arent glamor jobs and it takes work to find them, but they get you the money to buy the things you want.
*deep breath*
sorry, rant over.

with a $175 budget, i would pick up a fuzz and an overdrive. you should be able to pick up a big muff and a tubscreamer for that. the muff is almost closer to a distortion, but i like the tones for a blues lead. i thought i wanted a wah when i was getting into playing more blues lead stuff, but now i almost never use it. its fun to dust off every now and then, and is needed for some stuff, but i prefer to lay the foundation with my overdrive and fuzz pedals before i look at the more "fun" sounding pedals.
one of the yellow boss overdrives is pretty nice too, cant remember if it was the sd-1 or od-3. think it was the sd-1, but its been a while since i tried them out.
well theres nothing but a post office in my town and the closest other town is 10 miles away and even there theres only two stores and the only hire 16 and up

but anyways i was thinking more about it and the only time i ever really want a wah is when i wanna play maybe like 4 out of at least 50 songs so i'm not getting one. and for overdrive i'm getting a boss bd-2 and i still haven't decided on a fuzz
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
The blues driver is a good choice I guess but I'd wait on the fuzz till you get a tube amp or its gonna sound horrible

Quote by rdobson2
The blues driver is a good choice I guess but I'd wait on the fuzz till you get a tube amp or its gonna sound horrible

really? have you ever used a fuzz on a ss amp? i mean fuzz sounds just as fuzzy on the clean channel of a ss amp as on a clean tube amp. sure you cant do some of the stuff like using the fuzz as a boost to get an overdriven fuzz sound, but you can just use the fuzz as a fuzz. in fact, with the way that most people use overdrive pedals, id say fuzz might be the better first pedal.

a good overdrive is more likely to be used as a complement to the amp's tone. a good fuzz can totally take over your tone, tear things to shreds and just be the tone. sure most will sound better on a more dynamic amp, but you shouldnt need a tube amp to use a fuzz.
alright well has anyone tried the ibanez fz7?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
i thought about that but how would the bugera be for blues?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Quote by jof1029
really? have you ever used a fuzz on a ss amp? i mean fuzz sounds just as fuzzy on the clean channel of a ss amp as on a clean tube amp. sure you cant do some of the stuff like using the fuzz as a boost to get an overdriven fuzz sound, but you can just use the fuzz as a fuzz. in fact, with the way that most people use overdrive pedals, id say fuzz might be the better first pedal.

a good overdrive is more likely to be used as a complement to the amp's tone. a good fuzz can totally take over your tone, tear things to shreds and just be the tone. sure most will sound better on a more dynamic amp, but you shouldnt need a tube amp to use a fuzz.

Yeah I had a valvestate 8100 before and I currently have a peavy bandit for practicing and I've used many fuzzes through both,just not a delightful tone to me bro....but everyone has different ears...that's what makes us all different and that's why there's a million different brands out there

what about a bugera bc15?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Quote by grungebaby
well since i got the extra 100 i think i'm going to get a fender champ or epi valve junior and an od pedal, i want something that will give me enough drive that i won't have clean spots if i don't play loud enough but i really don't want screaming metal either somewhere in between in short.

Now you're talking. The Champ is a great blues amp. They are much better if you use a bigger speaker cab though. You can just stick a tubescreamer in front of it for a little boost for solos, preferrably with the Keeley mods because you don't want to cut the bass for blues. You want dynamics for blues and the Champ is the most talkative amp you'll ever plug your guitar into. You don't really need a TS, just turn the little sucka up and you've got instant blues. Saving up for a decent speaker cab is definitely a higher priority than a pedal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ok well i personally like to have eq on my amp but i'll go with the champ if its about the only thing i can get, any other options really?

edit: scratch that I'm gonna either get an epi, or a bugera v5 and then either an electroharmonix nano muff overdrive or a digitech screamin blues overdrive. Anyone wanna tip the scales?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Last edited by grungebaby at Aug 24, 2010,
Champs don't need an EQ for blues. They got it right straight outa da box. They do need a bigger speaker cab though, I can't stress that enough. A 2x12 with two 8 ohm greenbacks in parallel and they are hard to beat for tone.
Two Valves, one volume knob - blues heaven.

I run my 5F1 Champ clone through a single open backed 1x12 with an Aussie speaker in it. I have a multi-tapped output transformer in mine and an 8 ohm speaker. I love it's tone, I use it all the time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 24, 2010,
alright, how big of a cab? and would an overdrive pedal help or just crank it up?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
With a $175 I'd pick up a Fulltone OCD for a nice bluesy overdrive...

Wouldn't leave much budget for anything else though...
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
THe hassle with a Champ is that it uses a 4 ohm speaker (if that has changed somebody please correct me) and it's hard to find a 4 ohm 12" speaker. If you can find one a 1x12" will sound fine. More likely to find a 2x12' that has two 8 ohm speakers that you can wire in parallel for 4 ohm. If you see a 16 ohm 2x12 that will likely be two 8 ohm speakers in series, all you need to do is rewire them to parallel and you're set to go. You can go 4 ohm in a 4x12" normally too but unless you already have one it will cost more than the amp. It's a 12' driver that you want, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, doesn't matter. Matching the impedance is what you want.
They will run ok into an 8 ohm cab however, you just lose half your power and they are only 5W to begin with. Will sound ok though and not be that much noticeably quieter.
A Tubescreamer out front does sound nice but really, just cranking the litte sucker is the way to go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Buy a Fender Vibro Champ XD or Super Champ XD. You won't need any pedals at all.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
alright thanks for the info on impendance, i should've mentioned that i know plenty about amps and cabs, i thought about getting a fullstack cause i thought it would give me a fuller sound but anyways, what about running it into the speaker thats in my vypyr? its 25 watts 3 ohms and 10" i think
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
3 ohms? Yeah it will work ok. Might run a little hotter but shouldn't blow up. A 12" driver would be better.
You can also replace the output transformer fairly easily if you do a bit of electronics, there are drop in replacements for about $20.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
doesn't seem like it would be too hard, but i might just wait till i can get a stack cause i hate having down time in playing and i'm sure it'd sound a lot better than a stock peavy speaker. about how much do speakers run? because i could probably just buy a speaker and make the enclosure.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
I don't know a lot about US speaker prices but people talk nicely about WGS and Scumbacks. A Greenback clone would sound sweet. Making your own 1x12 would be ideal. It's a little amp, driving a single 12" speaker allows it to pump. Try to find a 4 ohm one and your search for perfect blues tone will be over.

PS: I do run a TS-808 with Keeley mods I built myself in front of mine as a clean boost quite often. It does sound pretty good that way, esp for that George Thorogood sort of slide guitar.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification