Hello everyone. I writing some songs on guitar. I am in drop B (B,F#,B,E,G#C#).
I am wanting to put a solo type thing to it. I am a little familiar with relative theory so I know to use the major or minor scale assoicated with the key of the riff. I just don't know how to tell which key im in. Here is an idea of what the riffs (not exact) minus PMs,pull offs etc.

Intro/Verse

C#---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G# --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------E ---------4----- 5---------4----------------------2-------------------------------------------------
B ------------------------------------4----5------------------245---------------2-------------------F# -----------------------------------------------------------------245-------- 2------------------
B ----22----- 2-------22------22------------22------22----------------245----2-----------------

Chours

C#---------0------------------------0---------------------------------------------------------------
G#-----------0--------------------------0-----------------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---2--------------- 4----------5------------7-x---x--7---x--x--7------------------------------
F#-2----------------4----------5------------7- x--x---7--x--x---7-------------------------------
B --2---------------4----------5-------------7-x--x---7--x--x----7--------------------------------
well that turned out looking shitty anyone able to tell from this lol
im going with G sharp with a D major diminished taken down 2 steps and then back up 3
Quote by 6o66y
Hello everyone. I writing some songs on guitar. I am in drop B (B,F#,B,E,G#C#).
I am wanting to put a solo type thing to it. I am a little familiar with relative theory so I know to use the major or minor scale assoicated with the key of the riff. I just don't know how to tell which key im in. Here is an idea of what the riffs (not exact) minus PMs,pull offs etc.

Intro/Verse

C#---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E ---------4----- 5---------4----------------------2-------------------------------------------------
B ------------------------------------4----5------------------245---------------2-------------------
F#-----------------------------------------------------------------245-------- 2------------------
B ----22-----2-------22------22------------22------22----------------245----2-----------------

Chours

C#---------0------------------------0---------------------------------------------------------------
G#-----------0--------------------------0-----------------------------------------------------------
E -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B ---2--------------- 4----------5------------7-x---x--7---x--x--7------------------------------
F#-2----------------4----------5------------7- x--x---7--x--x---7-------------------------------
B --2---------------4----------5-------------7-x--x---7--x--x----7--------------------------------

i tried to make it better
Assuming that those are supposed to be 2's on the verse, and not all 22's I'm gonna say C# minor. I may be getting a little messed up because of the tuning, but I'm like 90% sure this is in C# minor.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Thank you very much for fixing that for me..that was nice of you to take the time. Yes those are 2's. I was looking at some scales and it looked like C# minor like you said and E major. They are pretty much the same thing right? So I would use Emajor to solo over the C#minor?
Quote by 6o66y
Thank you very much for fixing that for me..that was nice of you to take the time. Yes those are 2's. I was looking at some scales and it looked like C# minor like you said and E major. They are pretty much the same thing right? So I would use Emajor to solo over the C#minor?

do whatever feels right, f**k theory

F A I L
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
* denotes AlanHB fix
Last edited by psycho826 at Aug 24, 2010,
Play that then find the note that it sounds complete on. That's your key. Often music doesn't stick perfectly to the notes in the key though so you may have to look at what's playing in the background.

E major and C# minor share a key signature (but they aren't the same) so if that works for what will be behind the solo then go for it.

Sounds like C# minor with a couple accidentals to me. So use C# minor to solo over it. If there are parts where it doesn't sound right, adjust your solo/note choice so it does.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Last edited by FacetOfChaos at Aug 23, 2010,
you mean solo over it with Emajor since it is C#minor? Thanks a million to everyone for your replies.
Quote by 6o66y
you mean solo over it with Emajor since it is C#minor? Thanks a million to everyone for your replies.

Yes. Use E major over it and alter the scale wherever necessary (It would really be considered C# minor though).
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Quote by 6o66y

Well sorta. In the world of scales, there are certain scales which are "relative" to eachother. This means they share the same notes. C#minor and E major are scales which are relative to eachother, but that's where their common ground stops.

Obviously the song is in a minor key, so you wouldn't consider playing a major scale over it. You'll always be playing C# minor, even if you tried to play E major.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Ok I believe I get it enough to understand. Its a bit confusing but theory is all new to me. I printed out a sheet that has the guitar neck on it and has every C#minor note layout on the board. I will use this as a starting point to see what notes "im aloud to use" Thanks again everyone.