Hi chaps

Next weekend I'm going to give my guitar some TLC and get it looking as good as new (if I can) but would like some advice since vie never done this before...

Right, my main issue is light surface scratches, so I was thinking:

1) take off the strings (obviously)
2) remove the tone and volume knobs (could do with advice how to do this properly)
3) using sand paper in decreasing grades, remove the scratches from the body, pick guard and headstock, ending up with a very fine grade
4) wax the body with some rock hard layerable wax (maybe 2 coats)
5) put it back together

So... The reason I'm posting this is to check this method would do a good job or wether I would be making a big mistake? (also like mentioned would like to know how to get the knobs off, and to be honest I could do with the pickups and bridge etc out of the way but don't want to mess anything up...)

On a second point, could anyone tell me a bit about my guitar? I know it's a 93 special but that's all... Are these gibsons no-frills bottom of the range? Are they a reincarnation of early 60s models?

So yeah, enlighten me people
Last edited by SooTyLaD at Aug 24, 2010,
please tell me you're a troll.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Okay, wait a second. Is it a Special or is it a Custom? You say both of those at different parts of the post. The Custom is one of the most high-end non-custom shop guitars out there. The Special is the economy model, but really you shouldn't be taking sandpaper anywhere near either one of those unless you are doing a re-finish job.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
If it's a Gibson you just need some nitro polish to buff out the scratches.

Anything harder and you're going to be doing more damage than healing - the finish isn't any tougher than nail polish.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
You don’t have a clue what you’re doing. Before you ruin a nice guitar think about paying a professional.
Whoa, certainly didn't mean to write custom in the title, ive definitely got a '93 special...

No idea what you guys are on about trolling but I am genuinely looking for advice... So graded sandpaper is a complete no no so that's fine (this is why I posted guys!) so what should I be using? Is this nitro stuff the accepted standard way to remove scratches?
Last edited by SooTyLaD at Aug 24, 2010,
It's not nitro - that's what your finish is made of - but the polish will blend it and remove minor dents, scratches and swirling.

Virtuoso is a good brand.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Using sand paper to remove the scratches wouldn't help at all, it would just make it look hazy unless you wet-sanded. Also no matter what you do... do not use wax on the guitar. If you ever have to take it in for a major repair the wax makes it near impossible to do. Try using the nitrocellulose polish recommended from above and buffing out the small finish scratches, that would be the safest and best bet to tackle that problem. Just stay away from the wax

This is how I pull knobs off a guitar when I'm working on them.. take the collar of a T-shirt and wrap it underneath the knob. Then pull upwards with a steady force until the knob pops off into the shirt. Your Gibson's knobs SHOULD come off like this, but remember some guitar knobs have a set screw and you can't pull them off in this manner
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
^ Shoelaces work as well, though I use the T-shirt method you described.

I've also used a pair of butterknifes wrapped in towels, though I don't recommend that method
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Wtf you don't like the character of a les paul? the wear on the guitar gives the les paul its CHARACTER and shows age and experience.
Mine has a bunch of dings and minor scrapes, but I like it that way since it makes it look even more like a real '58.

Beat up guitars/amps have teh mojo!

Do not forget the bacon grease.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I agree to an extent about the scratches and dings giving it character, but I also really enjoy making things look their best - I get a lot of satisfaction from it (plus, there are a few chunks missing that can't be repaired properly so it'll still retain some of its war injuries )

With regards to getting the knobs of, the top-hat knobs themself come off fine, but I want to remove those sharp-as-hell pointers that are on some old gibsons... gonna swap for speed knobs so would look wrong with the pointers...

Do i just get a spanner on it or will they be stuck on etc?
^ The pointers are just washers. Replace them with a normal pot washer and you're good to go.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ The pointers are just washers. Replace them with a normal pot washer and you're good to go.
Ahh cool ok.

So here comes the stupid question: where do I get these washers from? if its a standard fitting can I just go to a DIY store? (what size are they anyway?)
^^ You can order them online from any guitar parts place, like Stewmac. Shouldn't run more than a dollar or so.

Or you could ask a local shop if they had any spares, as m33sta said.

I sometimes get random parts that aren't actually for sale (used by their tech) from the shop I frequent and they just refill their inventory.