Has it ever been a problem? I have pretty big hands, but my pinkies come up about a centimeter from the first line on my ring finger, and I feel like it's really throwing me off. I've been watching Paul Gilbert's Intense rock videos, and there are a few 1-3-4 licks I can't play fast and fluent. I can play 1-2-4 licks perfectly fine, but for 1-3-4 licks, I feel like my pinky and ring fingers are missing that "connection".
Take up drums instead?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by superchunk912
Has it ever been a problem? I have pretty big hands, but my pinkies come up about a centimeter from the first line on my ring finger, and I feel like it's really throwing me off. I've been watching Paul Gilbert's Intense rock videos, and there are a few 1-3-4 licks I can't play fast and fluent. I can play 1-2-4 licks perfectly fine, but for 1-3-4 licks, I feel like my pinky and ring fingers are missing that "connection".

You can't play those licks because Paul's been playing for decades and you haven't; if you practice them you'll get it, if you sit around and blame your hands for your poor playing you won't and that's about all there is to it.

Look at this guy and realise that the only thing you lack now is practice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqgTdVuGrAQ
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I thought you were going to show Michael Romeos sausage fingers in that video.

But thats even more of an achievement than Romeo.

That lick at 0:47 was insane, although there were like 4-5 others of similar caliber. He has really good phrasing though.

Almost everyone goes through this, so to put this as lightly as possible...

From now on, just be thankful you have 10 fingers.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
I thought you were going to show Michael Romeos sausage fingers in that video.

But thats even more of an achievement than Romeo.

That lick at 0:47 was insane, although there were like 4-5 others of similar caliber. He has really good phrasing though.

Frankly I'm not a fan of the track at all but I ran across this vid from the Guitars Suck compilations on google videos and since then it's been my go to every time anyone blames their body for being unable to do anything. Really helps put any complaints about pinkies that don't do what you want or "stubby fingers" into perspective.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
jason becker anyone..

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by glenthemann
jason becker anyone..

What about him? He has almost nothing to do with this thread.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by nightwindelf88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3gMgK7h-BA&feature=related

This guy isn't bitching about pinkies or any other finger for that matter.

Yes, but to be fair, he's still not going to be able to do the Gilbert licks the OP is talking about.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
jason becker anyone..

I don't think he had any physical limitations untill his ALS set in. But even so, he was still playing music as he lost controll of his body.

But now all he does is compose, and in composing, there are no limits.
TS work on finger independance if you are having a problems with the ring and pinky then you need to work the muscles on that side of your hand and wrist during your warm up.

a nice little exercise for ring and pinky use

e-0h4h7-0h4h7-0h4h7-0h5h8-0h5h8-0h5h8-0h7h10-0h7h10-0h7h10

then go back down the neck with the same pattern you need to play in triplets.

what you should be doinig is play it once using the index and ring fingers then repeat the exercise using the index and pinky

once you have that mastered try alternating each triplet between using the pinky and ring

the entire phrase resolves to Am.....obvious really as the 2nd triplet is a Am arpreggio if you can wait until the weekend i`ll have a short vid demo up
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 26, 2010,