i play hard rock/alternative music...looking for a new 2x12...
i know the closed back has a little more bass response, while the open back gives a better sound dispersal...
which would be better for my type of music though?

for reference..i've been looking at an Orange PPC212OB and a Marshall 1936 respectively...also a MESA 212...

decisions decisions....
I'm not familiar with any of the cabs you listed besides the mesa. But from what I've heard on records and whatnot, bass on a guitar tone doesn't seem to be as prominent in alt rock as it is in metal or whatnot. I'd go with an open back.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
If you're gigging in a fairly large space I'd say an insulated closed back. It projects the sounds forward out to the crowd more.

If you're gigging in a small space (like, 10 or less people all near the amp), go for open back. It lets the sound fill the room better.

If it's for personal use (bedroom, etc) go for open back or uninsulated closed back (or better yet, conversion back).
Last edited by Seref at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by Seref
If you're gigging in a fairly large space I'd say an insulated closed back. It projects the sounds forward out to the crowd more.

If you're gigging in a small space (like, 10 or less people all near the amp), go for open back. It lets the sound fill the room better.

If it's for personal use (bedroom, etc) go for open back or uninsulated closed back (or better yet, conversion back).

In a nutshell, This ^
ive got a 4x12 with v30s for home use and i keep hearing muddy bass and not enough treble. im thinking a open back would solve my problems for the most part.
Quote by surface54
ive got a 4x12 with v30s for home use and i keep hearing muddy bass and not enough treble. im thinking a open back would solve my problems for the most part.

How high are you turning up your amp? If your playing a tube amp at bedroom volumes (unless it's low wattage), then you're not using your amp to its full potential. If that's the case, try running a volume pedal through your FX loop to attenuate the volume.
Quote by Seref
=If it's for personal use (bedroom, etc) go for open back or uninsulated closed back (or better yet, conversion back).

This might be the way to go if you're unsure
Just to clarify, open backed cabs have more bass, closed backs have tighter bass.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by sweet_inc
i play hard rock/alternative music...looking for a new 2x12...
i know the closed back has a little more bass response, while the open back gives a better sound dispersal...
which would be better for my type of music though?

for reference..i've been looking at an Orange PPC212OB and a Marshall 1936 respectively...also a MESA 212...

decisions decisions....

the 1936 is junk imo. doesn't compare to the mesa or the orange.

as for open to closed back. the closed will have a tigher more defined bass response and usually more "thump" the open back will have more bass and "sloppy" low end and the attack isn't as clean. for alternative the open back is usually what people are going for these days (AC30s and the like) while for hard rock most are using closed backs (like the Mesa).

I really suggest the Mesa or Orange. go try them out and see for yourself. I think a CB cab is better for you though.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by surface54
ive got a 4x12 with v30s for home use and i keep hearing muddy bass and not enough treble.

Well than an open back is certainly not going to help there...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com