Me and a friend are starting a band of just me and him, me playing an acoustic and possibly singing (also, any help on learning to sing? ) and him playing the keyboard. Now, at first, we're probably just gonna upload some stuff on youtube, but later we want to gig. Would I have to get an acoustic-electric (my budget is basically anything below $500), or is there ways to mic acoustics up? Any help?
Thanks.
Sending a dummy to my God.

an acoustic preamp would be a nice start. theyre not too expensive. hell even Jimmy Page had one
To be honest, most venues should have a PA and acoustic mics anyway, so you shouldnt have to worry; a regular acoustic should be fine. However, always check first because you dont want to turn up to find out that they we're expecting you to bring your own mic, although I'd expect them to provide a PA.
No problem mic'ing an acoustic; I started playing when pickups and on-board electronics were largely unheard-of.
We often played with one mic, whanging away on the guitar so it could be heard and holding it up to the microphone to do "hot licks".
Main thing to remember is to place the guitar mic properly and then not to throw yourself all over the stage....
If you are playing an acoustic (as opposed to an electro-acoustic) a rule of thumb would be to have a mic aiming approximately at your 14th fret and then barely move. If you have an electro acoustic (and you should be able to get a reasonable one for $500) then I'd be inclined to mix the aforementioned mic method with the on-board pre-amp as (IMO) using just the preamp tends to give quite a shrill tone and it isn't a true representation of the tonality of the guitar itself (little-to-no natural resonance).
I got a sweet Takamine electric-acoustic yesterday at Guitar Center. It's an EG463SC. It sounds great and looks even better. I went in planning on buying a low-end Taylor or Martin, but this Tak blew them out of the water.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Takamine-EG463SC-G-NEX-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105454367-i1464050.gc

I got it for $449 after my 10% off coupon (which you can get off their website).
Last edited by snap88 at Aug 24, 2010,