Hey everybody, I've been using the forums forever, but just barely signed up to start posting, hope I can get some help. I got an Ibanez SR400QM for Christmas and I've been playing a ton, especially since I figured out how to slap about 2 months ago. My problem is I can't get my fingers to go any faster. Listen to C'mon Girl by the Chili Peppers, I can almost play that up to speed, but not for very long, but there are much faster songs I would love to play. I can keep rhythm, I just can't get my picking fingers to move any faster than that. Thanks for any help!
Quote by AussieRHCP
Hey everybody, I've been using the forums forever, but just barely signed up to start posting, hope I can get some help. I got an Ibanez SR400QM for Christmas and I've been playing a ton, especially since I figured out how to slap about 2 months ago. My problem is I can't get my fingers to go any faster. Listen to C'mon Girl by the Chili Peppers, I can almost play that up to speed, but not for very long, but there are much faster songs I would love to play. I can keep rhythm, I just can't get my picking fingers to move any faster than that. Thanks for any help!

either just keep on practicing, or try and learn three finger plucking.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
P-p-p-p-practice.

You'll have weeks where it'll seem like you're getting leaps and bounds ahead of where you were... and then many weeks where it seems like you're making no visible progress.
Just push through man. KJeep practicing every day, make it meaningful and you'll make progress, I promise you.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
It just comes with time and practice. If you have guitar pro slow the song down to a slower speed and then gradually speed it up.

If you dont have guitar pro get a metronome and practice the song at a slower speed that way. And also if you are having problems with a song try just mastering it a bar at a time.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
thanks guys, I figured that's what I'd get, I just don't have a whole lot of experience yet, thought somebody might have some technique pointers. I want to get to use 3 fingers, but it's not easy either. I'll keep at it
i hate when people just say practice, they really dont bring anything new or offer anything helpful.

to the OP

1 youve only been playing two months your not going to be flea, wooten, harris or burton in that time

2 learn some different techniques, when i play fast i use three picking fingers (ring, middle, index) when i wanna play at light speed i use four fingures (pinky, ring, middle, index) you can also try a flamenco technique which is thumb, ring, middle, index.

when practicing these different techniques speed is NOT required, you are going for accuracy and fluidity. someone on the boards said (and i completely agree with them) speed is a byproduct of accuracy. meaning speed with these techniques will come in time.

3 if anyone says you suck, smile hand them your bass and ask them
"lets see you do better"
if they dont, well youve proven your point. if they do play better then you dont be offended, learn everything you can from them.
also dont be one of these assholes and only play one style, that will hold you back more then you think.

4 ill shut up now.
thanks Alucard, (love castlevania, by the way) I've been playing bass since december though, not for 2 months, and guitar before that, I've just been playing slap for about 2 months, cause it took me til then to figure it out. It's not really a skill thing I'm having problems with, cause I have been playing for a while, I like to think I'm getting pretty good haha, it's more like a muscle control kinda thing, I just can't make my fingers move faster. I've tried 3 fingers, but it's a lot harder to stay consistent and keep rhythm... any tips? thanks for the help guys
Quote by AussieRHCP
thanks Alucard, (love castlevania, by the way) I've been playing bass since december though, not for 2 months, and guitar before that, I've just been playing slap for about 2 months, cause it took me til then to figure it out. It's not really a skill thing I'm having problems with, cause I have been playing for a while, I like to think I'm getting pretty good haha, it's more like a muscle control kinda thing, I just can't make my fingers move faster. I've tried 3 fingers, but it's a lot harder to stay consistent and keep rhythm... any tips? thanks for the help guys

Long live the son of Dracula.
one of the main reasons why your picking hand wont obey you right now is because you have to train it, and train it THE RIGHT WAY. when you played guitar all it was doing was holding a pick now (or since december) youve required more of your picking hand.
as i said before the three finger technique must be done slowly at first to build your control. as you use it you will become faster.

here are some tips and tricks.
first think of your picking hand as a puppy, sure its potty trained and will do a trick (two finger technique, slapping) but its not really obeying you, so obedience training is in order.

on the G string (HAHA i said g string) only use your fretting hand to steady the bass NO PLAYING FRETS (this distracts you from training your puppy....huh i mean hand) slowly with a metronome practice hitting the open G with your ring finger only.

do this for a while, use accents, using your ring finger practice picking the string softer and harder.
what your doing here is training your "weak" finger to obey you. once you feel comfortable then use your ring and middle fingers only, teach them (or your brain) to work together. remember all this is done on the G string, once you feel comfortable start string jumping. once these fingers start working together then use the three finger technique, first at a slow pace with open G string, then jump strings.

youll notice that your speed will build on its own as you become more accurate.
this can take a while to learn, and this is the method i used to teach myself every technique i mentioned in my last post.
what your looking for is a consistent even sound.

one more point !
DO NOT RUSH YOURSELF!!!!! it only makes you sloppy