So, I'm about 3 years into guitar, and I love playing. I know tons of scales, pent, minor, melodic minor, major, whole tone, extended pen, etc. etc.

But, I want to skip the scale shapes, and memorize the fret notes, and then I'll have better grounds on improv'ing instead of the 4 fret window in various modes. So my question is this; What a good way to learn and memorize ALL the notes of the fretboard?
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Do the Satriani meathod. Set your metronome on 60bpm pick a note, find that note all over the fretboard on each beat. Another good way is to do scales and say what note and how it relates to the scale. Exp C-root D-2/9 E-3 etc etc
The Satriani method huh? My idol studied under him so, I just might have to try that, thanks mate!
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Yeah it's frustrating at first and you may even need to slow it down at first. After about two weeks of that though you'll find it be natural and easy. I found it to be easy to read music after doing that exercise, and to make new chord voicings. Good luck!
^^ this. after a while you'll notice patterns that will apply to finding any note anywhere on the neck.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
If your stuck in the 4 fret window try some linear lines bro...playing scales/modes side to side sound more musical to me
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
the Satriani meathod /thread This is a awesome exersice to work on I did it and it improved my playing 10 fold improvising or just jamming with friends.
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Quote by slayerfrk
oh god, please dont say kock hammet is your idol

I was thinking the same exact thing.
Other than Zakk Wylde, he's the last guitar player I'd idolize.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I was thinking the same exact thing.
Other than Zakk Wylde, he's the last guitar player I'd idolize.

Hey man, don't hate the old Zakk Wylde, the bearded one might be a bit of a douche but the old, beardless Zakk was awesome and a cool guy.
Yeah the old zakk definatly better...somewhere are 2000-01 he just stopped doing anything for me...lol. And I hope the TS is talking about vai and like fag hammett...oh wait that's already been said...lol
Btw,I don't think I'd idolize ANY other guitarist,it just makes you look like a 2nd rate hack in the long run,always trying to keep up with someone and stunting your own path...just my 2 cents
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Last edited by rdobson2 at Aug 25, 2010,