Here's my low volume tone I am getting from my Peavey, just thought I'd ask you fine folks for opinions on where I would fine tune it from here. Settings are in the video. I could tweek fro hours and still be turning knobs, so I thought I'd ask if anyone ahd an idea on where to start? Should the Presence be lower than what it is? How about for recording purposes?

Thanks muchly folks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzsbqcpbqx0
Personally I think there is slightly too much treble/presence in there, but other than that, it sounds fine for the type of music that you are playing.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Okay, thanks man, been going through some helpful youtube vids as well, so I think I am starting to get an idea of where I should maybe place all the knobs now. I was always a simple plug and play guitarist, but have been trying hard as of late to really start to understand the fine tunings and little intricacies of everything. I am self taught, and can play the style my band plays in, but really am starting to get into needing to actually understand the fretboard fully, as well as the tones and how each treble/mid/bass/presence etc relate to each other. Pretty fun stuff! Of course I always come on here as well to get as much info as I possibly can!!
Yeah, once you learn your way around an amp and fretboard properly, that's when you become a 'proper' guitarist really. But you'll never ever stop learning man.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Gain at 10. unnecessary!! Its hard to define each note when your gain i pushed right to the ceiling and your sound will end up disappearing when mixed with other sounds during your recording process.

You'd still have tons of chunk if you put your gain to like.. 6 (maybe even lower since you have actives) each stroke of your pick will hit harder and the notes will become clearer.

The amp stays pretty open if you have your pres and reso at those levels. Turning treble down should help keep it from being too buzzy (like in the video).
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
Gain at 10. unnecessary!! Its hard to define each note when your gain i pushed right to the ceiling and your sound will end up disappearing when mixed with other sounds during your recording process.

You'd still have tons of chunk if you put your gain to like.. 6 (maybe even lower since you have actives) each stroke of your pick will hit harder and the notes will become clearer.

The amp stays pretty open if you have your pres and reso at those levels. Turning treble down should help keep it from being too buzzy (like in the video).

Cool man! Will def try that out!
A band from ontario using a 5150 and a vader cabinet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBzy4IhnBvE

The recorded tone on the CD is great stuff, and and is then directly compared to the camera mic which.. is quite horrible

I can only assume that the tone i'm hearing in your youtube video is not representative of what you are hearing come out of the amp. Ah well.. just the limitations of the camera and youtube compression.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Aug 23, 2010,
#1 The mic in your camera is horrible for recording (as most are)
#2 What do YOU think about your tone?
#3 WHAT would you want to change about your tone

Everyone hear will give you a slightly different answer to what WE think you should do to your tone...None of them really matter. What matters is how YOU like it. If you don't like some aspect, ask what to do to change it...i.e. the comment on running the gain @ 10. If it sounds muddy and much less articulate than you want it, turning the gain down would help....if you LIKE the muddyness, leave it be.

Can't say what i would change though, that mic sounds horrible, and it's constantly changing it's level.

Here's another 5150 into a mic-ed vader cab (quite different)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jcmur8yK00&feature=related
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Aug 24, 2010,
Yeah man. Personally, I would keep your gain at a MAXIMUM of around 6. It sounds a little trebly so I would maybe turn that down to around 6 as well. As far as Res and Pres, I like mine at around 4 and 6 respectively.

Hope that helps!