Page 1 of 2
Apparently Google doesn't know either, so the question stands. How fast would you have to throw a hardboiled egg in order to shatter someone's skull? Would wind resistance prevent that velocity from even being reached? Where's Mr. Wizard when you need him!
lightspeed. it bends time like a BAMF
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Ostrich egg + cannon = major pain
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Someone send this to Mythbusters.

Immediately

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

A frozen egg would be more effective..
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by valennic

Immediately

I couldn't agree more.

I also want them to test the old elementary school myth of whether or not the food coloring in Mountain Dew and other soft drinks (Yellow 6 I think) shrinks your pecker.
if it's a raptor egg, then yes.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Wasn't there a recent Salmonella outbreak? In that case, you can just force the person to eat a hard boiled egg.
it'd have to be going pretty damn fast... but i just don't think there's enough structural integrity in an egg shell to smash a skull.

Eggshell thin

Human skull Thick (compared to eggshell)

If you had to throw it, there'd have to be an agreed on maximum speed that a human could throw the egg at. I guess you could use a major league baseball pitcher. which can reach over 100 mph i think?

I'm thinking that even at those speeds, it couldn't. So you'd have to hop the speed up and even then.. its a tough call as to whether the egg would even stay together at speeds like that.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
a chicken egg? I don't think so. maybe bruising at most.

of course, you could always make them choke on it.
Quote by Korosu
Wasn't there a recent Salmonella outbreak? In that case, you can just force the person to eat a hard boiled egg.

Salmonella is not usually deadly, and even if it was, the boiling of the egg would kill any salmonella if cooked thoroughly.

Quote by Deaddog
Apparently Google doesn't know either, so the question stands. How fast would you have to throw a hardboiled egg in order to shatter someone's skull? Would wind resistance prevent that velocity from even being reached? Where's Mr. Wizard when you need him!

I was unable to find on average how much energy is required to cause a bone to break, if you find that, use E=0.5mv^2 and solve for v.

EDIT: I've found that m=44-63 g on average for an egg and I think bone seems to be E=10 kNm. (this may be wrong as v=475 m/s or some large number)

EDIT2: YP (bone)=110 MPa, E(bone)=1.50x10^10 Pa.

U= ((YP)^2/2E)*V.

Assume volume V=1 ft^3 overestimate...

I am overdoing it aren't I?

EDIT3:
U=11421.12812866666666666666666666 J and using m =55g
v=455.6938391800646965014633122355 m/s = 1019.3580859913105641519593212432 mph

which...is near to what I found initially, it seems strength of materials works well. This is assuming no air resistance.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Last edited by rock.freak667 at Aug 23, 2010,
And according to my numbers, your egg would break due g-forces before it reached the other person most likely. Then again, you'd essentially be pointing a large rocket launcher at a person.
Not unless you put a nail in it. The egg itself isn't strong enough to do any damage. The way I see it the worst you would have to deal with is some bruising, and that's if you're really unlucky. Like I said you would need something else inside of that egg to make it a deadly weapon.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
well a penny dropped off the empire state building can kill sombody...soo drop an egg off of that shizz
Quote by stratdud39

i just facepalmed your facepalm

Quote by whalepudding
Hitler has been a villain in more films and ruined more hairstyles by association alone than any other suggestions.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Not unless you put a nail in it. The egg itself isn't strong enough to do any damage. The way I see it the worst you would have to deal with is some bruising, and that's if you're really unlucky. Like I said you would need something else inside of that egg to make it a deadly weapon.

As long as the projectile is moving fast enough its mass shouldn't be an issue and I'd think it'd be able to cause some nice blunt force trauma to the 'ol noggin. Whether a device to launch an egg at the speed required without destroying it is questionable though.
At high enough speeds, straws of hay have gone through trees before, so I'm guessing it's possible.
Quote by lemnas
well a penny dropped off the empire state building can kill sombody...soo drop an egg off of that shizz

No it can't. not enough mass and not a high enough velocity. (thanks mythbusters!)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't a hardboiled egg not have enough structural strength?

Also, and bear in mind that I'm not that great at physics, wouldn't it need to have more mass to be able to do enough damage?

I'm not even sure about the density/mass/strength of hardboiled eggs though, to be honest...
Last edited by TheZephyrSon at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by RU Experienced?
As long as the projectile is moving fast enough its mass shouldn't be an issue and I'd think it'd be able to cause some nice blunt force trauma to the 'ol noggin. Whether a device to launch an egg at the speed required without destroying it is questionable though.

For an egg to travel fast enough to kill someone I don't see it making it past the initial blast. It would probably be ripped to pieces rather quickly.
I'm pretty sure the only way to really be able to do what you described is to maybe launch it from over head, and let the force of it being fired, and the force of gravity act together to propel it faster towards the person. The only problem is that the friction from it traveling past the air molecules would most likely rip it apart before it could harm anyone.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I feel like if launched fast enough I could kill you with a marshmallow. Kinda like if you fell high enough into a body of water it would kill you.

But I've failed almost every science class I've ever taken so I'm probably wrong
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
For an egg to travel fast enough to kill someone I don't see it making it past the initial blast. It would probably be ripped to pieces rather quickly.
I'm pretty sure the only way to really be able to do what you described is to maybe launch it from over head, and let the force of it being fired, and the force of gravity act together to propel it faster towards the person. The only problem is that the friction from it traveling past the air molecules would most likely rip it apart before it could harm anyone.

Here's an idea, what if you got it up to that speed gradualy, without any initial blast? would it still fall apart, or stay together? Sorry for making the question more confusing, but just saying you don't need to blast it to get it to a high speed.
"When that day comes I shall Futterwacken ... vigorously."
~ The Mad Hatter

It might be possible, but my initial theory is no. I didn't take physics or anything, but I do know that you can safely break an egg shell on your forehead, and the actual egg has a consistency like jelly. I think it would give you a nice concussion.
Though the more I think about it, the more it seems possible.
Quote by nbur4556
Here's an idea, what if you got it up to that speed gradualy, without any initial blast? would it still fall apart, or stay together? Sorry for making the question more confusing, but just saying you don't need to blast it to get it to a high speed.

a hard boiled egg with the capability of acceleration.
Quote by MakinLattes
a hard boiled egg with the capability of acceleration.

You could probably get something to accelerate it

but that would be AWESOME!
"When that day comes I shall Futterwacken ... vigorously."
~ The Mad Hatter

Quote by nbur4556

The force of friction with the increasing force due to acceleration might cause the shell to break.
Quote by valennic

Immediately

This.
Also, whether or not completely draining a battery and then charging again makes a difference.
Quote by valennic

Immediately

LOL. Damn right, thats exactly what i thought when i saw the title of this thread.
F=ma, so with a enough velocity it could be fatal. Wind resistance isn't going to stop it reaching a certain velocity.. an egg being thrown is a different situation to an object being dropped, where the combined simultaneous effects constant acceleration and wind resistance create a terminal velocity. The egg being thrown is initially under a lot of acceleration as it is thrown, then under acceleration in the opposite direction as it penetrates the surrounding atmosphere, and finally under a lot of acceleration when it strikes the target. The question is whether or not the egg could stay intact while travelling in atmosphere at a velocity sufficient to overcome the wind resistance and still hit hard enough to kill. It could well be that travelling through the air at such a velocity is enough to make it burn or shatter.

In a vacuum or a near vacuum it definitely could kill. cf. damage to satellites by tiny pebbles orbiting the earth at enormous velocities. But in such an environment, you're already dead from asphyxiation.
block a major vein, stop the blood from reaching the heart, eventually it will stop the reaching the brain, therefore killng the person (but you have to be pretty fvcking sadistic)
Quote by nbur4556

The only way I could think of that working is my dropping it at a great height.
The only thing is that it would be a waste of time, and money to get it up high enough for you to hit someone, and still cause harm. Even then though it would most likely be ripped apart because of the speed it's traveling, and the friction in the air. Might as well just buy an actual weapon to take someone out with.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by valennic

Immediately

YES!

Now!

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
If you drop a penny from a skyscraper, it leaves a crater...
Based on that logic, a hard-boiled egg could have similar results with enough speed...

Maybe a baseball pitcher could kill someone by throwing it REALLY hard.

Also, +1 for sending it to Mythbusters.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
If you aim for the mouth you could get them to choke.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by mrcrono
I feel like if launched fast enough I could kill you with a marshmallow. Kinda like if you fell high enough into a body of water it would kill you.

But I've failed almost every science class I've ever taken so I'm probably wrong

water has half the strength of concrete due to surface tension. its very easy to get killed by water. the problem with the marshmellow is getting it that fast due to wind resistance, how ever if you compressed said marshmellow into a pellet that would be way more feasable
Page 1 of 2