So i have gotten a marshall jcm 900 100 watt head with high gain and dual reverb it has to channels a clean and crunchy channel which sound pretty good if the settings are well set. So ive been trying to attain an alexi laiho-ish tone/sound for quite a while as he is my favorite guitarist and im pretty sure he will always be, but they have used so many different marshall amps and stuff like that i hear that they recorded blooddrunk cd with marshall jcm 800 KK, but the thing is i have no basic knowledge about amps, stacks, preamps, and effects and all the technical mumbo jumbo stuff and im wondering where most of you guitarists on here have learned this becasue there is so MUCH different options out there effects and settings to choose from it just blows my mind also im pretty new to guitar and between theory and playing and techniques and what not it gets pretty confusing and my brain is not like me as there is so much info to retain and know. So back to the topic im pretty sure no guitar teachers teach about amps and all that so im wondering if theres sites or did most of you go in and try all the thousands of different amps and what not just please i need some guidance and help with this im about to die from stressing over guitar!!!! i dont want to die from the best gift and please in life!!!!
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
You're not gonna die.

If you are dying for a Laiho tone check the Ultimate settings thread.

Also many people try out tons of amps, because of tonal options. If you don't want to try out amps you could always listen to sound clips but that isn't always accurate
I leik music
Last edited by col50 at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by Levi79
Buy a Mesa and get any tone you want.

Fanboy alert
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by Levi79

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by SLonergan
Fanboy alert

Fanboy who doesn't own the product he's a fanboy of.

Try amptone.com TS. That and some experience is where I've gotten my basic knowledge of tone. Amptone is a bit biased towards power tube distortion though which isn't really suited to metal. The advice on how to use certain things is great though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Fanboy who doesn't own the product he's a fanboy of.

I didn't even notice that...how sad...
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
monobrow7 - your OP is a bit confusing. I'll be honest I scanned it a few times to try to get the gist of the topic and gave up. This morning I actually read it word for word. Suggestion: try breaking your questions into separate paragraphs (thoughts) and eliminate unnecessary words.

"*I have a Marshall JCM900 dual reverb and I'm having trouble getting Laiho's tone from Trivium. Here is a sample video: www.__________.com. I know there is a Settings Thread here but this is more about whether or not I should trade my 900 for something else.

*Also, I notice a lot of you guys seem to know what you are doing as far as amps, effects, settings, etc. Where are some additional sources of information that you have used in addition to UG?"

See?

My suggestion is that if you want that tone only, then ditch the 900. Look at a Peavey 6505/5150/XXX/JSX/Ultra/Vypyr 60
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 24, 2010,
Quote by Levi79
Regardless of what you say, you're not going to make a Mesa sound like an Orange, or a Vox, etc, etc... They're fantastic amps, but no...
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Levi79

That's bollocks, and I own a Mesa.

On Topic: the only way that you learn about amps, their settings, etc, etc, is through experience. Just like getting better at playing the guitar.

But on another note, I know nothing about this Alexi dude, but if he uses EMG, and you don't have active pick-ups in your guitar, you wont get the same tone as him.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by monobrow7
so im wondering if theres sites or did most of you go in and try all the thousands of different amps

There are sites. You're on one. Try watching youtube videos of amps as well.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
There are sites. You're on one. Try watching youtube videos of amps as well.

that and yea, we go and try before we buy.
ok thanks for the help guys i appreciate it and will follow the advice given and see where it gets me :p
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321