I've never played guitar before, but I want to start learning how to. I'm looking for a cheap guitar though. I'm a poor college student and I don't have much money. I'm hoping to spend less than $120 on a guitar alone, but can go up to $160 if it will make a huge difference.

I'd like to play mostly 70s and 80s hard rock/heavy metal. Some of my favorite bands from the time are Guns N Roses, Ratt, Poison, Metallica, Queen, KISS, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, and the like. I do want to play other genres of music though. I'd like to play pretty much everything from blues to classic rock to jazz to metalcore. It all depends on my mood what I feel like playing, so a versatile guitar would be preferred. If I can't get a guitar that's good at everything in my price range, then one that would play hard rock/metal well is a priority.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
see if you can get a cheap guitar with HUMBUCKERS. These are really important for metal or hard rock tones, as Single Coils don't take distortion well.

My suggestion would be with Epiphone, they have really low-end guitars on the cheap if you can find them locally.
Might I recommend going used. you can get a solid low end guitar and practice amp for under 100 on craigslist.

my 2 cents would say ibanez gax series. I love mine, its dual humbucker with an awesome action.. I still have and play mine, I use it as a nice little moding platform. also, I have played and heard a lot of people saying samick is your best bang for the buck on the low end.

but I must say, always buy used. and if you do buy new, buy from a small shop not guitar center.

protip: you can usually haggle the price down a little bit in small shops, or at least get them to throw in a strap or cable or something.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-006-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=518183

Check that out, you are going to need to save up a bit more money, if you can save up some more, http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Damien-6-Electric-Guitar?sku=513102&rec=product_sim_A may be a good choice, but it is a good idea to look used, you get great deals.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
I disagree with anyone saying you should be spending hundreds on a first guitar.

with technology today you can get some awesome sounds out of a fairly inexpensive setup. a tone snob will disagree. but for learning, man theres nothing better. I got the ibanez starter pack with guitar and amp and thye are fantastic, an upgrade here, a setup there and you have a great axe.
You may have gotten lucky...

I've heard several horror stories from friends about the ibanez starter packs... and what is wrong with starting with a good guitar?

It's just my two cents, trying to help out a fellow UGer.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
I'd rather not buy used off of craigslist. I've gotten burned when buying used before, and I don't want to waste any money. I will consider buying a used guitar from a music store though, since they generally offer some sort of warranty on them.

The $160 is just for the guitar. Amps, cables, and all the accessories I can worry about later.

Here's some guitars that I've found that look promising. Any thoughts on them?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Evo-XM-Electric-Guitar-103933347-i1150722.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GRX20-Electric-Guitar-103557120-i1150594.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Electric-Guitar-100001870-i1149986.gc

Also, I really can't spend more than $160 on the guitar, let alone $400. I can't save up either. My parents are buying it for me as a graduation present, and I personally don't have any money of my own to spend on it (yay expensive colleges).
Last edited by avanish11 at Aug 24, 2010,
I think you should go with the dean, all of the epiphone special II i have played have been really bad, and i haven't heard anything bad about the dean.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
Your best bet is to go, put them all in your hand and see which one feels the best.

I think you should reconsider the used thing though, I buy and sell stuff of craigslist all the time and have gotten some fantastic deals
Do not get a cheap Epiphone. I’ve been there, and it really, really sucks.
also, the new squire affinitys are really nice, I tried a maple fret boarded one and was really impressed, avoid the bullets though..
A Squier Affinity fat strat might work. Add a Peavey Vypyr 15 to that and a $20 cable and you've got a decent amp, a decent guitar, and a cable for about $275-280.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What are your plans in terms of an amp?

Also, regarding the guitars you posted, your best bet would be the Ibanez. Stay away from the Dean and the Epiphone. They're really horrible.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Try Samick
Proudly endorsed by Kamecki Guitars and WBgear!

My guitars:
-B.C Rich NJ Jr.V Deluxe (6 string guitar)
-Kamecki Custom V guitar
Used is almost always the best option. The problem is that you are new to guitars and you won't be able to spot the good deals from the bad on the used market.

Used.guitarcenter.com has a TON of decent (some really good) guitars for under $100....they usually charge btw $15-20 to ship and you'll have to pay your local tax as well. However, you still get GC's 30 day playability guarantee and you can just return it to your local GC. For example, there is currently this Jackson JDX-94 Concept for $99. I own an JSX-94 Concept and it's a killer guitar.... It's build quality is similar to new guitars in the $5-600 range. Great guitar for a beginner as the JDX has a fixed bridge.....this is a steal for $99...
http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?content%2FGuitar_catalog_scans%2FJackson_Charvel%2F1994-5_Jackson%2FJack1994-95Page15.jpg

Whether you buy a new entry level guitar or any used guitar, it will almost assuredly need a full setup. This is where buying from an independent store can be beneficial. You can probably get them to throw in a free setup with purchase to keep you from buying the same guitar at GC/SamAsh/Internet.
Last edited by webwarmiller at Aug 24, 2010,
Since you are just starting out I'd recommend you Do NOT get a guitar with a floating bridge/Floyd Rose bridge. You will likely have a lot of problems changing strings and tuning.
Start off with a fixed bridge.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
i would just go to a fender dealer and get a starter squier, cheap, great to learn on, and don't sound too bad playing.
Alright the Epiphone LP is out of the question since so many of you are advising against it.

I really like the look of the Ibanez that I linked to earlier. Does anyone have any experience with it? I know at this price range, the general rule is you get a good sounding or good looking guitar, but not both. I'm hoping that the Ibanez is an exception to the rule.

What makes the Dean so special? It's nearly $40 than all of the others that you guys are recommending, and it has the most people recommending it.

The Squier affinity fat strats look nice, but they're a bit over my price range. If I bought it from a music shop, do you think they'd let me haggle the price to about $150?

As for Amps, I tried out a Roland micro cube at a friend's house before. It sounded great, and they sell for about $105 on overstock.com. Plus, it's about the size of a shoe box and weighs like 9lbs. I'm going to be moving into a tiny dorm room in a month, where I need to save as much space as possible, so the small size and good sound is a HUGE plus for me. Plus, it runs on AA batteries. I'm not sure if I'll need to use it, but that's always a nice feature if there's no power outlet nearby.

I've been looking through GC's used guitars and I've found a few that look pretty good. There's a Ibanez RG270B for $120 about halfway down this page: http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm?page=34&srch&category=37&sort=price&dir=asc Has anyone used it or have an opinion on it?

Someone said to go into a guitar store and try a few out. I've never played a single chord before, so I wouldn't know what to look for, or if a guitar is good or bad. What should I check for?
Last edited by avanish11 at Aug 24, 2010,
While I was at a music store a few days ago, the sales rep recommended the Peavey Raptor to me. It was about $120 used there. Thoughts on that?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Lol I would never buy something like this from Costco anyways, so no worries
Quote by avanish11
While I was at a music store a few days ago, the sales rep recommended the Peavey Raptor to me. It was about $120 used there. Thoughts on that?

The Peavey solid states are really good imo, and they're not modelers so you don't have to deal with the entry level modeler bullcrap.

However: My first legitimate amp was a Peavey Vypyr, and it is an incredible amp for the price. Out of the beginner modelers, it has the best sound (again, imo), and it has a plethora of effects, and much more customization options than it's competitors. I recommend the Vypyr, simply because as a beginner, you will be introduced to the world of effects and EQ as well as the world of guitar. I can't think of a better beginner amp, really.

But if that doesn't interest you, Peavey solid states are good...

Most Peavey amps are good actually. I'm a fanboy though, so

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Actually, the Raptor is is a Strat-like guitar. I've heard good things about Peavey's amps, but I was wondering if their guitars are any good.
I'm retarded. I could have sworn that was an amp... I know there's the Bandit, and the Rage, and I thought the Raptor was the smallest one?

Well, sorry about that.

As for their guitars... I don't know. I've never played on myself. They look really strange. At least, their expensive ones do.

I have heard good things about the Raptor guitar though.

Keep looking used. Something good'll come up eventually. I wouldn't get the Ibanez you mentioned, because a locking trem for your first guitar is just a no.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Lol it's alright. Which would be better? the Squier fat strat or the Peavey Raptor?

What's wrong with a locking tremolo? I thought they were better because they keep tune better?
Quote by avanish11
Lol it's alright. Which would be better? the Squier fat strat or the Peavey Raptor?

What's wrong with a locking tremolo? I thought they were better because they keep tune better?

If it's a good one, they do. They're a royal pain to set up and restring, and don't even think of changing tunings with one.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by avanish11

Probably the Peavey, but if you can, play both and just see which one feels better.

There's nothing wrong with locking tremolos. I hate using anything else. But I strongly advise against it if this is your first guitar. You need to get familiar with the instrument first before you delve into that, in my opinion.

If you want to jump in balls deep, go ahead and get it, but read the FR sticky at the top of this forum before you do, so you know what you're getting into.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ahh okay. I'll probably stay away from them in that case. Plus, I've read that you really can't get a good floyd rose for such a cheap price.