One of my favorite techniques is to use a pedal tone. You can relate a pedal tone much like a sticky. Basically its a note (usually in the bass but doesn't have to be) that remains constant while chords are changed. A good example is:

Play an A chord 5/0 4/2 3/2 2/2 next play a D like this 5/0 4/4 3/2 2/3 last play an E like this 5/0 4/6 3/4 2/5. Notice how the A bass (5/0) colors these chords?
In another example anyone remember the song If by Bread? The entire first section uses an A pedal tone throughout. Just thought I mention this cause I love that song. Hope someone finds this useful. Best to all!

Explanations
The fractions above represent the string and fret. Example 5/0 = 5th string open etc

picker
www.hicksschool.com
Simple answer, tough execution. As you know you have to practice, but there are a few things that will help. It is easier to play pedal tones on mouthpieces with large diameter, deep cups. In fact the more conical the cup the better. But, I do pretty well on a Schilke 13A4a--when I've been practicing. Otherwise I have trouble with a 13D4. Oh yeah, a more rounded rim profile also makes it a bit easier. Then relax and take it one step (or should I say half-step) at a time.

Learn to play your low F# in tune without using a slide (relax) then extend both your 1st and 3rd slides and hit the low F. I play everything 1-2-3 until I get to the lowest C, then I play it open. I can get down to the lowest G using alternate fingerings with good tone--the key is learning to relax. If you have a tuner use it to make sure you're actually in tune--i've heard guys who thought they were hitting a pedal C only hitting a pedal D. By the way, developing your pedal tones may actually improve your upper range.

There's also a technique that involves slipping the lower lip out of the mouthpiece to produce pedal tones. It's different, but once I got the hang of it I fond it fairly easy to produce a decent sound.
Now that's an interesting adbot comment right there.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Quote by 20Tigers
How do you know it's an adbot?

It shares the same IP as adbots - it's a special one though, with set answers and finds similar topics. Cool hey?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
such an original name also

Jessica2
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?