Now that I have my tone sorted out, I was experimenting a bit and I realized that letting my voice have a slight bit of breathiness to it actually seems to be that little extra "something" that my voice needs. It just adds a whole lot more of a natural sound to my voice, since I speak and sing with sharp consonants and slightly guttural vowels - it just seems to balance everything out.

But I know that singing with a breathy voice can be harmful in the long term. But I'm not singing like Ray LaMontagne or Elliott Smith (especially not Elliott Smith) or anything - it's just a bit of added texture. So, to those of you who know your vocal techniques - will letting a tiny bit of breathiness through eventually damage my vocal cords? Or am I in the clear as long as I don't let it get out of hand?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
What is the first thing you have to do in order to sing, or talk, or live? Breath! You have to have breath, with out it you will sound...dead! Breath brings energy to your sound, so will allowing a little breath into your singing harm your vox? NO. The key is to have breath control. Just like water can not flow through a kinked water hose, singing can not happen without your breath. Stylistically, some singers do use more breath than others (think boy band vs Bocelli). If you allow too much breath to pass over the larynx then yes you will damage your vocal cords, but if you apply proper technique and have good breath control then there should be no lasting effects!
I've been singing breathy for a couple days now... and have found that with each passing day the singing gets breathier and breathier out of habit. As a result, my range has decreased significantly. So no more breathy singing for me. To anyone else thinking of trying this - it's not worth it.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.