I am going to buy a guitar and i was wondering if i should get the Angus Young Sig Humbuck and 57 Classic or the Seymour Duncan APH-2s Alnico II Pro Slash Humbucker Setup? I am equal fans of both slash and angus and the pickups will be going into a sg standard. What do u guys think i should do...
What amp do you have?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
What tone do you want?

Have you even tried the stock pickups?

amp?

Word of advice: don't buy a pickup because your hero uses it. They usually have a much better rig than most people do.

Quote by Arterial
Did anyone else laugh/cringe when they read the thread title? :S

Kind of.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 24, 2010,
Not to sound like an ass, but why don't you look into some pickups that aren't signature pickups and get you own sound? But If your dead set on getting thier pickups why not mix em together?
What type of sound do you want? While both Slash and Angus play the same style we are talking pretty different tones here....
Just a word of warning- the guitars that Angus and Slash actually use don't have their signature pickups in them. You're kind of wasting your money with sig pickups.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Just a word of warning- the guitars that Angus and Slash actually use don't have their signature pickups in them. You're kind of wasting your money with sig pickups.

This. They both (most likely) just used the stock gibson pickups. And unless you have their exact rigs, you won't sound like them. It's both easier and better to make your own sound instead of trying to copy someone else's.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by smartalec007
This. They both (most likely) just used the stock gibson pickups. And unless you have their exact rigs, you won't sound like them. It's both easier and better to make your own sound instead of trying to copy someone else's.

Well, Slash actually DOES use A2P's. I wouldn't suggest using them unless you have a good amp though; they're a rather "flavorless" pickup, which means the amp makes more of a difference.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Well, Slash actually DOES use A2P's. I wouldn't suggest using them unless you have a good amp though; they're a rather "flavorless" pickup, which means the amp makes more of a difference.

Well, I meant back when he/they were recording all the classic albums.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by smartalec007
Well, I meant back when he/they were recording all the classic albums.

Oh, he's been using them since AFD.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You're only wasting your money buying signature pickups IF you're trying to copy their sound/tone. If you buy an Angus Young humbucker because you like the way the pickup sounds, and not the way the Artist sounds, then of course it is not a waste of money.

I have an Angus Young Siggy SG complete with his sig pickups, and I absolutely love the guitar despite the fact that I use it to play stuff that sounds in no way like AC/DC.

OT: I'd recommend the AY Pickups, to answer your question. Additionally, you said the pickups were going into an SG body, and I'd have to think that these pups were designed with the SG body in mind, at least somewhat.
Last edited by Nickpocalypse at Aug 24, 2010,
Quote by oneblackened
Oh, he's been using them since AFD.
But the A2Ps back then were made differently to the ones you buy now, and the new Slash version is even more different.

Angus Young does actually use his signature pickups these days, but of course they weren't around when AC/DC were recording their most famous tracks.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Slash uses regular duncan AIIs in his recoding guitar and the signature pick ups in his sigg model guitars, this is to compensate and try to get the presumably chambered signature model to sound like his derrig replica les paul.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
The Angus Young pickup makes me LOL.

Angus uses pat ###s and early T-tops in his guitars. Neither are anything like what the signature pickup is like. Go buy a JTM45 if you want Angus's tone. Here is a tone experiment that I've always loved.

http://www.germinoamps.com/audio/classic45/061307_5.mp3

Wrong guitar, wrong pickups and most of the tone is still there with the right amp. Now granted you're not going to nail it without the right pickups either, but you're not going to even get close without the right amp.

Idk anything about the Slash signature Alnico Pro. Go buy a super lead if you want Slash's AFD tone. And it's probably nto going to sound right in an SG either just to warn you. Especially the neck tone.
Quote by edge11
Slash uses regular duncan AIIs in his recoding guitar and the signature pick ups in his sigg model guitars, this is to compensate and try to get the presumably chambered signature model to sound like his derrig replica les paul.
Or it could be to compensate for the fact that his original a2ps were handwound by MJ back when Seymour Duncan actually made custom pickups. And the fact that those a2ps sound infinitely better than the off the shelf ones today. Same goes with the JB and the '59 for that matter.

The '57 classic would be the best bet of those three.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 24, 2010,
I agree with everyone else, signature pickups are pointless unless you have the same rig.
I'd say just go for some regular, non signature. I could imagine the Slash signature's are almost the same pickup with his name on it
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by MrFlibble
But the A2Ps back then were made differently to the ones you buy now, and the new Slash version is even more different.

Angus Young does actually use his signature pickups these days, but of course they weren't around when AC/DC were recording their most famous tracks.

true, but it's not like players didn't have custom made pick ups for them. iommi has been having custom pick ups made for him for a long time. way before his signature gibson models.

try and listen to a lot of sample and demos. hard with pick ups if your listening to demos that all use different amps and guitars. have to take the descriptions for what they are as well. try to read a good amount of reviews. obviously if youre trying to copy someones tone youll have a lot more work cut out for you than just buying pick ups and a similar guitar.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by smartalec007

wrong, slash uses all his signature gear live. Just check out his touring rig that hes using now. Signature guitars + sig pickups+afd 100 signature amp. His new sig alnico IIs are suppose to be made how they were in the 80s when his derrig guitar was made. say what you want about signature equipment but at least slash stands by his.
signature pickups are pointless full stop. was back in black tone created with the help of a commercially available angus young pickup? did slash go out and buy slash pickups for slash tone on afd?
do yourself a favor and get a pod / amp modeler to get all your heroes' tones.. a les paul / sg will nail the tones just fine now its just a matte rof what guitar you like more in terms of looks and feel- not the name on the pickup.
Quote by Arterial
Did anyone else laugh/cringe when they read the thread title? :S

i must admit i did..

but yeah on topic get your own tone if one of those pickups will bring you there then get it not just because your idol has it.
Quote by alpacino2368
I am going to buy a guitar and i was wondering if i should get the Angus Young Sig Humbuck and 57 Classic or the Seymour Duncan APH-2s Alnico II Pro Slash Humbucker Setup? I am equal fans of both slash and angus and the pickups will be going into a sg standard. What do u guys think i should do...

I have SD APH-2 Alnico II Pro's in my Gibson Les Paul and I love them. They sound warm, yet throaty when in overdrive and they don't get muddy. The latter is very important in my opinion -- you want to have a clear articulated sound at all times.

I drive these pickups through my Marshall JCM 2555 and my Line6. Even with my Line6 I can get a good Slash type sound.

To hear them in action through a Line6, have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0dwC9KoO50, and skip to around 0:33.

Willem
http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com
i say get the stock guitar and play it through your setup decide what your missing somee bass or some over that top treble is your sound to bright to dark what and if u like your sound leave it as it is dont try to fix your sound if it aint broke
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by crazygnr1996
wrong, slash uses all his signature gear live. Just check out his touring rig that hes using now. Signature guitars + sig pickups+afd 100 signature amp. His new sig alnico IIs are suppose to be made how they were in the 80s when his derrig guitar was made. say what you want about signature equipment but at least slash stands by his.
You are drinking the Slash kool aid.

Seymour's old pickups were handmade by a lady that goes by MJ who currently works in his custom shop. You can get a set of A2Pros made by her directly, but they're going to cost you around $300 a set. Unless Seymour Duncan is now offering a set of handmade pickups at the same price point that they're making their normal pickups (highly doubt it since a set of A2Pros from MJ STILL cost ~$300 a set) then they're not really made the same way. The new Slash model is just the stock A2Pro with a little bit more output and "vintage" appointments like a wooden spacer and log bottom plate that do not affect tone at all. If you want the same pickup that Slash used, call the custom shop. If you want the same tone that Slash had, buy a plexi.
Quote by willemhdb

I drive these pickups through my Marshall JCM 2555 and my Line6. Even with my Line6 I can get a good Slash type sound.

To hear them in action through a Line6, have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0dwC9KoO50, and skip to around 0:33.
You're a great guitar player, but sorry, under no circumstance does that sound anything close to Slash's tone.

When I think of something that sounds close to Slash's tone, I imagine something like these:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9071786
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8927460
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
It isn't 100% and this guy seems to be a really good guitar player, so it would sound close even if the tone wasn't, we're just so used to the song being that way.

Kinda you know

The tone on the record is much throatier and quite a bit less harsh.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
The tone on the record is much throatier and quite a bit less harsh.

Yeah, this one has the "duck squeak".

Where it sounds just a bit like a horn or just a bit "quacky"? Metallica's Kill 'em All has this same tone problem.
He's using a les paul, that's why. That, different pickups, recording and different EQ settings can account for the difference, but for the most part, the tone is incredibly similar.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 25, 2010,
OMG! HE MADE GREAT TUNES...RIFFS>>>>HE BECAME A STAR...PEOPLE LOVE HIS TONE...ANGUS AS WELL...THEY BOTH HAVE THEIR SOUND>...PEOPLE ASK WHAT IT IS>>>>SO THEY MAKE SIGNATURE PICKUPS>>>YES YOU NEED TO AMP THEM>>>AMPS ARE TRANSISTORS...AMPLIFYING CURRENT YOU HAVE A DELAY...YOU HAVE OVERDRIVE....YOU HAVE WAYS OF MAKING DISTORTION...THE PICKUPS SLASH USES ARENT LIKED BY MANY IN LOTS OF GUITARS LOOKING FOR A TODAY SOUND OF HARD METAL>>>THE NEWER PICKUPS HAVE A HARSH SOUND AND SOUND GOOD WITH LOW AMPS>>.CHEAP AMPS>....WHAT I LIKE...Sorry...for caps...I just get irritated I just started playing a guitar last year and can play Slash solos now pretty well....so I would like to add...that all my life I worked with audio equipment...so finding out how guitars worked just plugged me into a world of something I know everything about already...or almost....first off..the pickups are probably nothing special ...They are typical pickups from les pauls...SLASH...however, fine tuned his sound...and decided on these for his signature as eddie van halen ...eddie likes to pop harmonics...slash's bridge is good for clean...his neck, however, is a low output humbucker...if you have an amp that can control GAIN very good...you would really use that with the treble tone turned down on the pickup with the amp around 7....if I remember ...I may be wrong...but really you can get almost any sound...his pickup...is low output...most people buy a guitar...plug it in an amp...find the one that produces good rock...walk out...then they learn to play a guitar...finding they cant get a clean tone..lower output pickups can do both...but need to be on an amp that can control gain...problem? if you up gain...you up noise...harmonic distortion of the transistors used for power amplification of audio...this can cause a nasty sound...so...quality controlled amps are used ...slash is rich...so yes...his "rig" is excellent...you want his rig? get amplitube ....use a computer to do the expensive gain control...then output it using high quality speakers...really...its very simple...now to play like Slash...that isn't...LOL...I bet Slash would agree with me...on this...but I just got my guitar stolen with slash plckups...really that guys stole a basswood guitar body...a 250 real Floyd...slash doesn't use floyds...but I love the steel feel and sustain..plus control if I want to block it off...hardtail it...I can...if not ...I can release...funny...whoever took the guitar...if he takes out my penny mount...its gonna be hard to put back in without knowing how to do it...I built the guitar... so ...good luck BUDDY.....lol...as for slash pickups...I just got a couple more...my computers input isn't good enough for them ..I do get some noise...but they do sound like slash and sound good too...if I had the money for a better input device I think the computer is the way to go to get close to slash's 20 year old setup lol ...and def leppard still uses his same 80s gear...and you know something...I think it sounds the best...but it depends what you want...slash fine tuned a sound that everyone was using...he just tweeked it ..brought out the best of the best...and boom....its HIS sound.... and then the choices he made on making songs....BOOM that sound is perfect for his play...so ...hes unique...and people saying try to get your own sound...fine....yes you may...but really...Slash and eddie van halen have fine tuned a unique sound...angus..def leppard...they are amazing song writers that are not to be overshadowd by anyone that has "their sound" ...it still comes down to what you write and play...and def leppards phil has his sound that is everyone's sound too...but he just knows how to play so well that he shines on anything he plays...you know what I mean? they all have their goods...
Chill dude! This thread has been dead for 6 years. You using an ouija board?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!