Forgive me if this is stupid but I was messing around with a B Major scale and liked the way it sounded with a raised fourth. I'm trying to figure out actual name for it and it think it's B Lydian (of the F# Maj scale) but I'm not sure. I've read countless times that modes aren't scale based but this just seems to be right according to everything i've read.

I read the modes sticky too but thought this was an exception just because I'm trying to make sure I'm right.
It depends on the backing. If you are playing this scale you have over a progression in B major, then it's just the B major with a raised 4th. If you are playing a modal (lydian) progression, then the scale will be in B lydian.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
you could play it against a Bmaj#11 - make sure you take out the five, so it would be B D# A# C# F
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Quote by AlanHB
It depends on the backing. If you are playing this scale you have over a progression in B major, then it's just the B major with a raised 4th. If you are playing a modal (lydian) progression, then the scale will be in B lydian.

That's actually the only reason I'm asking. I'm trying to come up with some interesting chord progressions formed from some of the scales i like. So the triads you can form with these notes would come out the same as in the major scale except for the 2, 4 and 7 chords right?
Quote by King Zirconium
Forgive me if this is stupid but I was messing around with a B Major scale and liked the way it sounded with a raised fourth. I'm trying to figure out actual name for it and it think it's B Lydian (of the F# Maj scale) but I'm not sure. I've read countless times that modes aren't scale based but this just seems to be right according to everything i've read.

I read the modes sticky too but thought this was an exception just because I'm trying to make sure I'm right.

Yup a B Major scale with a raised 4th is the B lydian mode/scale. No accompaniment is necessary for this distinction.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Yup a B Major scale with a raised 4th is the B lydian mode/scale. No accompaniment is necessary for this distinction.

What do you mean by "accompaniment"? I'm not up to snuff on certain terms when they pertain to thoery so forgive me...
Quote by King Zirconium
What do you mean by "accompaniment"? I'm not up to snuff on certain terms when they pertain to thoery so forgive me...

accompaniment = "a musical part that supports or provides background for other musical parts" in this case I'm referring to the chords that would support the melody.

The point being that the scale/mode spelled..

B C# D# E# F# G# A#

IS the B lydian mode. No background music/chords are necessary to distinguish it as such.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 24, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky

IS the B lydian mode. No background music/chords are necessary to distinguish it as such.

Of course, but if TS were to apply it to music (he clearly stated above he's trying to create chord progressions) the music is highly relevant.

I know that alone, with no music it could be lydian, but it could also be a major with a raised 4th.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Of course, but if TS were to apply it to music (he clearly stated above he's trying to create chord progressions) the music is highly relevant.

I know that alone, with no music it could be lydian, but it could also be a major with a raised 4th.

Well, Major with a raised 4th IS Lydian. But yeah, the context is always relevant. I just didn't want him to think the scale can't exist on it's own.........or that the relevance of harmonic context was something that was unique to modes.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 24, 2010,