Hi everyone!

Ive been playing the guitar for 4 months. I used to play the piano until i went to study in london and became musically stagnant up to the halfway point of my 2nd year when i decided to buy a guitar just so i could play SOMETHING.

I own a PRS SE Singlecut.

This is what i can do up to this point of my guitar development:

1. I can play chords, power chords while keeping a good rhythm.
2. I know most of the commonly used guitar scales.
3. I can play entire songs like Hotel California, Stairway to Heaven, Enter Sandman, Sweet Child of Mine fairly well (minus the solos) .
4. I can alternate pick quite well.
5. I can pull off pinch harmonics cleanly (but have not used them in songs).
6. I can bend in tune (not particularly good at muting the bends though).
7. Hammer ons and pull offs are fine as well (just not at crazy speeds).

I am wondering what should i do now to improve. The last song i learnt was stairway and i can play that song well but when it comes to the solo, its a whole different story.

Ive been practising the solo for 3 days (just the first few bars) and i can play the first like 10 seconds or so at quarter speed. I suppose im not at the level at which i can play the stairway solo yet so continuing my efforts in learning the solo may hinder my development (as in my time can be better used to learn other things first to get my playing up to scratch before attempting the stairway solo in the future).

My question is, what now? Preferably i want to learn songs (and increase my playing speed). Do i just continue learning the stairway solo or do i move on and practise something else?

Thanks in advance for any replies
yeah but what songs? i dont have a teacher (too expensive in central london) and tbh, i never even listened to metal or wtv until i started playing the electric. so i have a limited knowledge on what songs would be appropriate for my level (as u can see the songs ive been playing are really popular well known songs)

is the solo too hard for my current level of playing? or does it take extremely long to learn to play?

i just want to play songs that are best for my development. no point in jumping into something that is waaaaaay harder than i can play at my current level.

and im not even sure if what i can do at 4 months is worse/better than the average person. i have no idea if im on the right track or whatever. all i do is look for random tabs and video lessons and learn from there
Go to www.guitarbackingtracks.com and download some stuff and just jam to them...get your a minor pentatonic scale down and you should be able to do a good version of stairway bro...it don't have to be note for note I don't think any of us will be replacing jimmy page in led zep anytime soon so just learn your scales,practice to a metronome then you'll actually see your improvement
You may wanna check out steve vais 10 hour guitar workout...its hard I won't lie but it helped me and still does to this day...nothing builds speed and accuracy except doing it man...good luck
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
i can do the minor pentatonic. but i dont think i can play the stairway solo the way i play the minor pentatonic (alternate picking for each note)

i use hammer ons and pull offs to play the stairway solo so it feels different.
Maybe not use it on that song I don't know man....I never really sat down to learn it,I've played it in cover bands and I do the first main lick and the last main lick and just fill in my own shit in between, there's prolly a million vids on youtube that teach that solo u may wanna check that

haha its not that i wanna learn that solo so badly. my main question is what do i learn next to improve?
lol learn the minor scale,google it and you'll find tons of stuff about it. I really think what you need to do though is learn all the cliche' rock licks...start at the beginning with hendrix,clapton,SRV,page,angus dudes like that ,absorb all their licks and styles, then get some backing tracks and put them to use...it will boost your confidence and you'll learn a lot of key things like vibrato,and phrasing...try that out man ,that's where I started