Hey there people of UG, u guys have been a big help before, lets hope this works out. im a metal head that loves thrash.....but i want to buy a cheap (up to $350-ish) classical or acoustic. now this thread bears 2 questions. how is an acoustic going to benifit me over classical or vice versa. im just looking for an acoustic instrument to play besides my electric. and the second question being would you guys have any recomendations within my price range? ill answer any further questions u guys need to know, not to familiar with acoustic instruments.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Classical guitars are usually smaller and with nylon strings, personally I'd go for classical, they aren't big fat and ugly.
the big question - which do you prefer the sound of, nylon or steel string guitars? i really love the sound of steel string myself. you don't mention if you would be playing the same music on either guitar, or if you got a classical you'd play classical music on it. me, i played classical on a classical for years, and now i play it - and music i generally prefer - on a steel string. if you go with classical music, typically the teaching is structured and the playing methods can be beneficial to all kinds of guitar playing.

do you live by any guitar stores? if so, go play some of both types of guitars and see which turns your crank. and if you like steel string, decide what size of guitar you prefer for comfort and sound. try yamahas in the fg700 series - 700, 720, 730 - but keep in mind that they use yamaha strings, so whatever you try will sound even better with other ones. check out seagulls - the entourage s6 should be in your price range. and check out the breedloves in your price range. if you live by a store that's not a gc, check out blueridge guitars, particularly the br-40 or br-43, depending on size preference.

and play a few that are above your price range to get a frame of reference for sound quality. since you're an electric player, it's worth mentioning that action can be adjusted on acoustics, so if you find a guitar you like that seems stiff or the strings seem high, it can be dealt with.
I think you would probably prefer the acoustic guitar as its better for contemporary music, try them out at the shop though
Quote by Zeletros
Classical guitars are usually smaller and with nylon strings, personally I'd go for classical, they aren't big fat and ugly.

On the other hand, steel string guitars aren't small childish looking objects that sound like my fisher price guitar that I had when I was 4. :/. Geez.
Quote by silver8ack
On the other hand, steel string guitars aren't small childish looking objects that sound like my fisher price guitar that I had when I was 4. :/. Geez.

Or you can buy a folk size and have the best of both worlds.
Quote by silver8ack

If you hate classical guitars so much, was there a point to asking which was better?
Quote by Zeletros

Quote by silver8ack

silver8ack - don't feed the troll. ignore him - maybe he'll take his silly prejudices and ridiculous remarks and go back to the other sections of the forum. a guy who doesn't know there are smaller acoustic guitars obviously knows nothing about acoustics at all.
Yea I couldn't help myself

@ Xian, I don't hate classical guitars. I was just leaving a sarcastic reply to that persons remark about steel stringers.
Pretty simple really, if you're looking to strum, go steel. Fingerpicking is optional, but far easier on a classical nylon.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by patticake
silver8ack - don't feed the troll. ignore him - maybe he'll take his silly prejudices and ridiculous remarks and go back to the other sections of the forum. a guy who doesn't know there are smaller acoustic guitars obviously knows nothing about acoustics at all.

Hey, **** you.
thanks you guys, im sure this is gonna help me make my decision. although i do want to go extensivly into fingerpicking, i think im going to go with a steel string.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
i fingerpick most of the time - you don't need a classical to do that. it is helpful to have a bit wider neck for fingerpicking, btw. not as wide as a classical, but 1 3/4" nut or there abouts. the great thing about the seagull original s6 and some other seagulls (although not the entourage models) is their fabulous 1.8" nut and deeper neck. gives plenty of room for your fingers to get between when playing fast fingerstyle.

Quote by EspTro
thanks you guys, im sure this is gonna help me make my decision. although i do want to go extensivly into fingerpicking, i think im going to go with a steel string.
Quote by patticake
i fingerpick most of the time - you don't need a classical to do that. it is helpful to have a bit wider neck for fingerpicking, btw. not as wide as a classical, but 1 3/4" nut or there abouts. the great thing about the seagull original s6 and some other seagulls (although not the entourage models) is their fabulous 1.8" nut and deeper neck. gives plenty of room for your fingers to get between when playing fast fingerstyle.

Yep! And even if you don't fingerstyle it's great. It's different for everyone, but I am MUCH more accurate with my fretting hand on the 1.8" width vs my old acoustic which was 1.68 I think.
Proper finger picking technique is best learned on a classical in my opinion.

If you're just doing modern finger picking, steel string is fine.

If you think in the future you may want to take your finger picking to the next level and play some real classical pieces, I suggest learning on the nylon first.

You can just buck up and buy both - a cheap classical for 80 bucks and a yamaha f700s for 150.

Anyways, make sure you try all guitars out before buying. Opinions differ. While I like the way the S6 sounds, to me the necks on seagulls feel clunky. Great guitar for the money, but it's all about personal feel. I really like the yamaha and ibanez necks.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 24, 2010,