I play on a regular basis, and by regular basis I mean 1 or 2 hours a day. After I lost my job I've been playing guitar more and more and have begun to develop a sharp pain in my right arm from my bicep down to my elbow. Is this just an effect of me playing a lot more or is it something I should get checked out and/or see if my posture is incorrect.
Are you a right or left handed player?

If the pain is in your picking arm it sounds like you're picking by using your whole arm. To avoid injury and to be more efficient you should only be using your wrist. I'd take a break from the guitar and see if the pain goes away after a couple days.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
By restricted the movement of your arm are you unconsciously tensing the muscles in your arm?
Do you pick from the wrist or from the arm - in most cases wrist is way to go. Post a video maybe?
A certain amount of tension in your forearm is necessary for playing fast, but it must be controlled and it doesn't feel like a pain, more like a burn (very similar to what you get when lifting weights).
Quote by Spartan101400
I am a Right handed player, I don't think I'm picking with my whole are though, I try to restrict as much movement in my right hand as possible.

I think the bold part is the problem. You shouldn't be trying to "restrict movement" art all! This will only produce unnatural motions and extra tension. Work on getting your picking motion relaxed and from the wrist (as in, consciously move your wrist, not restrict all other movement).
Quote by chainsawguitar
I think the bold part is the problem. You shouldn't be trying to "restrict movement" art all! This will only produce unnatural motions and extra tension. Work on getting your picking motion relaxed and from the wrist (as in, consciously move your wrist, not restrict all other movement).

I agree. Dont try to restrict your arm movement, try to keep as relaxed as possible.
I am working on a video now, I will edit this post when it is done, shouldn't be more than 10 minutes.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9RZ6Akb_f8 here's a video for those who asked.
Last edited by Spartan101400 at Aug 24, 2010,