Im building my own guitar, and I'm reading Melvyn hiscocks book on to do it. And I can't find anywhere where it says where I should put the pickups relative to the bridge and the neck, should I just wing it?

Also, should i glue or bolt on? And if i buy a neck off warmoth, but I want a slight neck angle, will I have to work that into the tenon myself?

Any ideas welcome, thanks
There ARE "sweet spots" for pickup placement relative to the bridge and the neck, but the frame of reference isn't actually those things. Sometimes, it has more to do with the shape and size of the body. That's something I'm afraid I'm completely unqualified to give advice about.

But one thing I do know, is that there's a reason the majority of guitars out there have 21 or 22 frets as opposed to 24. Along the string, the 24th fret position is considered a "sweet spot" too, and placing the pickup at that second octave position can affect your tone in ways differently from having the pickup at the hypothetical, say, 27th fret position.

But hey, it's all to taste and there isn't really a set rule about it.

As for neck/body connections, I say bolt-on just for ease of setup and maintenance. I don't think I'd really trust myself with a glue job, and a bolt-on is just easier. And I don't really notice much difference in sustain, though some beg to differ. Again, that's purely to your own taste.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Great advice thanks

Anyone out there know about neck angles?
Quote by travislausch
There ARE "sweet spots" for pickup placement relative to the bridge and the neck, but the frame of reference isn't actually those things. Sometimes, it has more to do with the shape and size of the body. That's something I'm afraid I'm completely unqualified to give advice about.

But one thing I do know, is that there's a reason the majority of guitars out there have 21 or 22 frets as opposed to 24. Along the string, the 24th fret position is considered a "sweet spot" too, and placing the pickup at that second octave position can affect your tone in ways differently from having the pickup at the hypothetical, say, 27th fret position.

But hey, it's all to taste and there isn't really a set rule about it.

Yeah, and as soon as you fret a note that "sweet spot" is out the window.

it's mostly tone-chaser hype blown way out of proportion. believe it if you want. I sure dont.