Hi my husband is after an epiphone les paul and he has been looking on ebay, but I dont trust them. Can you get fake guitars ?
Where is the best place to buy from and what is a good kind, he has around £280 to £300
thanks
You can get fake anything. Especially guitars. If you're buying from somewhere online, make sure it's a proper, respectable shop.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Lots and lots of fake guitars on ebay, If it's postage only that's normally a good sign it's a fake

And if it's to good to be true (cheap) then probably also is a fake, also check the feedback.

All my gear is from ebay and i made sure i could pick it up and inspect before buying
I buy effects and stuff off ebay,I've bought a few guitars but usually I would try them out first so I would say yes but be cautious

Have u tried gbase.com?
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Last edited by rdobson2 at Aug 24, 2010,
It's pretty easy to spot fakes.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I buy stuff all the time and have never had any problems.

just post the link in here if your worried about something.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
if possible, buy your guitars from shops or well know online stores. there are fakes on ebay but there are also proper guitars. here's a couple of ways to spot fakes - if the price is extraordinary/too good to be true, i suggest trying it first and also, it's a pretty good indicator that a guitar is fake if the image is off of google or it looks like an image a proper guitar shop would use (eg. white background, perfect angled picture of guitar) if you see what i mean.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
i bought a strat off ebay once, years back at this point. i was nervous about not being able to play it first, but the deal was great and i set up my own guitars anyway. everything turned out well. all the comments above include great ways to help spot a fake.

get lots of pics....get the serial number and do some research on it...look to the sellers feedback rating and see what comments others have given them
i bought of ebay 5 times, 3 times i was cheated. its a risk. and never again......there r loads of good companies in th uk!
thanks for all the replies, I think I will talk him into saving a bit more and buying from a shop for peace of mind.
I say if your after a good Les Paul clone, check out rondomusic.com, especially if you're gonna order something you've never tried online. Otherwise, a lot of music stores carry Epiphone.
dv247 is generally pretty cheap in the UK, and free postage too.

there are definitely lots of fakes on ebay; as bubbs says, they're fairly easy to spot, but you have to know what you're looking for.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No, I personally would not. Reasons?? Because you don't really know what you are getting and secondly you can't try out the guitar before buying it. Also, how do you return the guitar if you don't like it after a few days???

I would stick to brick and mortar guitar stores.

ron666
I have bought a few guitars off Ebay including a real Les Paul. Follow the rules of common sense and you won't get burned.
Quote by LK_revival
I have bought a few guitars off Ebay including a real Les Paul. Follow the rules of common sense and you won't get burned.

+1, I love eBay but you do have to be careful. I got screwed once it was a lesson learned, I now steer clear of anything being sold from china
i got my epiphone les paul off ebay and its fantastic, just make sure you know where your buying it from.
MCR FAN 405

originally posted by diveright
for one does not simply walk in to a spinning propeller

Originally posted by BLToast
Buckethead is the meaning of awesome
I just bought a Jackson guitar off ebay a couple weeks ago. The setup was totally out of whack when I got it, but I've since got it dialed in near perfect and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. But you certainly can get scammed if your not careful.
ok I cant convince hubby to wait and buy one from a shop, he seems to think they are all real but tbh he does not know much about one guitar to another, as I dont either and i dont want him to be ripped off so can i post the link on here of the one he is looking at or is that not allowed, he has till about 9.30 uk time tonight to decide
thanks
post the link
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Buying off ebay is a bit dodgy, but as long as you know what you're looking for, can spot dodgy people and fakes then you should be fine. Post the link here and we could probably tell you whether it is a good idea or not.
E-bay is perfectly safe if your smart about it. If a deal looks too good to be true it probably is. Only buy from sellers with substantial and excellent feedback. Many e-bay sellers are guitar dealers and are very well versed in selling guitars. If buying used from a private seller I always make sure their feedback is absolutely perfect and that they have sold and shipped guitars without issue.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
I've bought 3 guitars from ebay already (and aiming for a 4th one). It all depends on the seller. Check their feedback and do some background research on the item to make sure its real. Also don't forget to ask the seller questions if you're not sure about something (just to confirm)
hi here is a link, the actual link for the guitar we have been offered, i cant get the link to work but the same seller has 2 others for sale so here is the link for them which hopefully does work !! I know they are not the exacy guitar we have bid on but I figured if 1 is fake/real the otheres will be the same. Thanks again guys

the link !
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/zj525happy/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25
Last edited by dawnjess at Aug 25, 2010,
I'm no epiphone expert (far from it), and personally I'd want better, more close-up pics than that, but I *think* they're probably ok- the two you posted, anyway. But as I said, don't quote me on it, I don't have any epiphone guitars to compare those ones to.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've bought off eBay and sold on eBay. I've been careful and not got burned. There is dodgy/stolen stuff out there for sure, but fairly common sense ways of protecting yourself.

Check the feedback. How much of the feedback is as a Seller? Positive feedback as a buyer menas little if someone is selling stuff.

Ask up front if you can pay cash on collection or try the guitar first even if you have no intention of doing so. Few scammers want prospective scamees turning up on their doorstep. Ask for additional photos.

For the links you posted, I too would want more pictures and to know why the seller is selling, how long they've had the guitar, how old it is, are there any problems etc. The fact someone who has not really sold anything before is suddenly selling 2 new guitars with no explanation raises suspicion in my mind. I would steer clear of this - or at the very least ask what is going on - there are loads of Epiphones bought & sold on eBay and other reputable online sites to take a risk.

An honest seller will be able to give you answers. A dishonest seller will likely be evasive. If it doesn't feel right, walk away (so to speak).
I find it odd that this seller is selling NEW guitars--- as a "private" seller. Just saying.... how does someone come into several new guitars like this?

Quote by dawnjess
hi here is a link, the actual link for the guitar we have been offered, i cant get the link to work but the same seller has 2 others for sale so here is the link for them which hopefully does work !! I know they are not the exacy guitar we have bid on but I figured if 1 is fake/real the otheres will be the same. Thanks again guys

the link !
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/zj525happy/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25
^ + ^^ agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by filtersweep
I find it odd that this seller is selling NEW guitars--- as a "private" seller. Just saying.... how does someone come into several new guitars like this?

Agreed. Look at his history. While it is all positive he mostly has a history of buying cheap non musical items. He doesn't list detailed information on the guitar other that specs. Brand new in the box.....why are they?

I dunno, it could be a legit sale but there are concerns. In terms of British money is this a average deal or a wow deal? If it is a wow deal I would be really suspicious.
Last edited by LK_revival at Aug 25, 2010,
I got my Jackson RR5 from Ebay. I did that thing where I collected the Item more then they posting to me. And I posted links on UG here. I talked to the people at their house and they seemed like nice people so yeah.

Edit: Also look at their history.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
i think calling at someone's house to check the item is legit is a great idea. Instead of just getting ripped off with a dodgy guitar, you can also get coshed over the head/your wallet nicked/raped/trafficked into the bargain.

I mean, I dunno, maybe there are a lot of people into low level gip who aren't real badasses and who won't rip you off to your face, but I'm not really going to take that chance.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Another way to avoid fakes is to ONLY buy if there are pictures of the actual item that is being sold, no stock photos.
Quote by TMF128
Another way to avoid fakes is to ONLY buy if there are pictures of the actual item that is being sold, no stock photos.

Yar. If they have like 3 crappy cell phone pics, you should probably pass on it. If they only have 'stock' photos, you should probably pass UNLESS it's a large seller with something like 15,000+ positive feedback then you can probably trust them.

The biggest thing is to look at their feedback though, look for trends in the comments and if there's alot of negatives, and also just make sure they all have real prices and not thousands of 0.99$ sales. Honestly it's nearly impossible to get ripped off as long as you look, paypal is there to back you up too.

I've bought and sold hundreds of things over ebay and never once had a problem or got ripped off.