Hey guys. I want to ultimately tune my bass guitar to drop a, and the obvious problem here is fret buzz etc. I was thinking instead of buying the lightest bass strings i could find, and tuning UP to the same notes as drop a from standard, and then using an octave pedal (looking at boss oc-3) play an octave down. would this create the same effect? is there any major problems with this? does anyone have experience?

cheers,
luke
Octavers sound kinda sterile, though the new morpheus Drop-Tune could be something to look at - you tune down by half steps, so you could keep your bass in simple ol' Drop D with it. Don't think it's too expensive either.

Or, you know, try and set your bass up for Drop A. Take it to a music shop, and ask if they'll do it for you.
not at all needed. Just get heavy strings and a set up
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
cheers. the next step was to get it set up for lower tunings. ill give that a look. thanks mate
totally go with the heavy gauge strings. Its cheaper and you'll get the real tone. Thats what I did with one of my guitars. I wanted to have it set up for Bb standard so I just bought some massive strings and adjusted it. Works great!
Um, maybe a bit pricey but if you frequently want to use Drop A, just get a 5 string/ERB and tune the low B down a tone, I do this for all my deathcore stuff

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Yeah, octave pedals have a, in general, really hard time tracking. To use it as an alternative to drop-tuning... it's just not viable.

Over the past few years i've owned a Whammy IV, Boss OC-2, Boss OC-3, EHX Micro POG, EHX POG2, EBS Octobass, and the DIgitech Bass Synth Wah. They were fun for individual parts... but FAR too unreliable to use as an 'always on' pedal.

+1 to grabbing a cheap-ish 5 string. Octave pedals are expensive anyways and generally in the $200+ range... you can get a 5er for that price and it' sound way better for what you are trying to do.

If you wanna stay with a 4 string, get heavy gague strings and set it up so there will be no fret-buzzieness.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Or you could get your nut filed and put the lower 4 strings of a 5 string pack on. Then you just need your bass set up a little bit and you're good.
Bass is my life.