Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade from my iPhone soon and it turns out I can go up to an iPhone 4 and not incur any losses. Only thing is, I'm kinda intrigued by Android technology, as it's a totally different format and (from what I've heard) not governed by a nazi corporation who charges £2 for a ringtone.

I was really looking forward to getting an iPhone 4, then when that 4 OS came out for iTunes everything started cocking up, all apps on my current iPhone started crashing, messages take ages to load. And some of the things the sales guy pitched to me when praising the iPhone 4 came with the new OS.

What I'm looking for is a brief introduction to Android or any other worthwhile alternatives. Also I decided I'm going to change from O2 to Orange, on the basis that it simply has a little more to offer to me personally.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I've driven 102,888 extra miles for every 1 mile an environmentalist has walked....
Wait.... the Nazis sell ringtones now?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi
Wait.... the Nazis sell ringtones now?

I thought it was only screen savers. =/
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
Unless you're a developer i really wouldn't worry how the OS works.

Just know that it works great.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy S. Like an iPhone but better and you don't look like a cock for having one.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy S. Like an iPhone but better and you don't look like a cock for having one.

Yup i got a desire. Only bad thing is battery life, much better value for money though.

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Android is awesome, I can assure you that. The app marketplace isn't amazing, but it does have some good stuff in there. I own a HTC Desire, and I'd have it over an iPhone any day.

EDIT: I never have a problem with the battery life, but saying that I do have to charge it daily...but I just charge it when I go to sleep. Sorted.
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Last edited by Audioslave95 at Aug 24, 2010,
HTC provides some of the best android phones. Desire and Evo are great. Although there will be a new desire model announced later in the year. check those out
Quote by zapatista89
you know the music from zelda that plays when you open a chest? that played in my head reading that headline.
Quote by Audioslave95
Android is awesome, I can assure you that. The app marketplace isn't amazing, but it does have some good stuff in there. I own a HTC Desire, and I'd have it over an iPhone any day.

EDIT: I never have a problem with the battery life, but saying that I do have to charge it daily...but I just charge it when I go to sleep. Sorted.

To be fair though, on the Iphone App market and android app market, at least 90% of the apps are useless.

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Quote by adj209
Yup i got a desire. Only bad thing is battery life, much better value for money though.

Depends how much you use the apps and how many of the animations and stuff you have on. I turned all the frilly crap off and barely use the apps so lasts me a while.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Depends how much you use the apps and how many of the animations and stuff you have on. I turned all the frilly crap off and barely use the apps so lasts me a while.

Yeah i've got all the gimmicks off, only wifi on.

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Android is Linux-based and is therefore open source! You can easily gain root access to your phone, which is a bit more intricate in the iPhone. I love Android.

Sprint has the HTC EVO 4G, which is a superb phone. I'd highly suggest looking into that.

Verizon's heavy hitters are the Droid X, with its uber massive screen, and the Droid Incredible, which is quite similar to the EVO 4G. The Droid 2 is also nice if a physical keyboard is important to you.

Also, the Galaxy S phones seem pretty nice. My favorite phone manufacturer is HTC, though. They make the EVO 4G on Sprint, the Droid Incredible on Verizon, the HTC Aria on AT&T, and I'm sure something else that I'm missing. Does HTC make the Nexus One?
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
2 cups, 1 string.

I was looking at an Iphone 4 too, I will keep an eye on this thread.
I think HTC would be the way to go, can't recommend moving to orange, I was with them for four years and they were awful.
Quote by element4433
What if the way their wieners were positioned they could only pee into each other's mouths?

And one had his finger joined to the other's butthole?

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
HTC Desire.

Sorted.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Laird95
I think HTC would be the way to go, can't recommend moving to orange, I was with them for four years and they were awful.

Why's that then?
I've driven 102,888 extra miles for every 1 mile an environmentalist has walked....
At the moment the Samsung Galaxy S is the best Android phone, the stuff from HTC is a bit wobbly.

If I were you I'd wait for the Windows 7 phones come out... those look promising. Either that or stick to iPhone, they're great as it is.

I say all this being a touch-screen HATER, I'd stick to Blackberry myself
My friend has a samsung galaxy or something, they're freaking awesome. And another dude i know has a pretty sweet nokia thingo
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
i have a moto droidd, from verizon. I think its pretty ****ing awesome. I have never had an iphone to compare it with though. but a couple of things i have noticed about my android when i compare to the iphone;

- change my background to what ever i want
- Adobe Flash player runs in with the browser
- Open source
- Root Access enables a whole lot of other things you can do to with your phone
- i am able to download alot of the paid apps for free
- download and use different ROMs and customize the software
- i am also able to overclock my phone to make it faster
- I also have a PSX emulator to play playstation 1 games on my phone along with snes, sega, GBA
F' IT
(whats the worst that could happen)
Quote by vitchb
At the moment the Samsung Galaxy S is the best Android phone, the stuff from HTC is a bit wobbly.

If I were you I'd wait for the Windows 7 phones come out... those look promising. Either that or stick to iPhone, they're great as it is.

I say all this being a touch-screen HATER, I'd stick to Blackberry myself

The Galaxy S and latest HTC's are almost identical. HTC's touch screens are far superior to the Samsung as well.

Windows phones are terrible imo, too much stuff on the OS and it cloggs it up.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I was thinking about getting the Droid 2 but some people I know have said they don't like the firmware.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by Jimothy
Why's that then?

Poor customer service, awful reception and very expensive from my experience.
Quote by element4433
What if the way their wieners were positioned they could only pee into each other's mouths?

And one had his finger joined to the other's butthole?

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
I've had my HTC Desire for 2 months now and i can easily say its the best phone i have ever had.
Quote by jambi_mantra
The Galaxy S and latest HTC's are almost identical. HTC's touch screens are far superior to the Samsung as well.

Windows phones are terrible imo, too much stuff on the OS and it cloggs it up.

Win Phone 7 looks to be an overhaul so let's wait and see, it looks pretty nice from what i've seen
att has the sony ericsson xperia x10 that uses android tech and is supposed to be a competitor of the iphone. its fairly new so i'm not sure how good it is. but from many years experience, the sony ericsson brand is really reliable...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Get an iphone 4 and jailbreak

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
I've got a droid 2 and pretty good. I'm actually on it right now
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
This Droid sounds interesting..... Can anyone tell me what Root Access is?
Another HTC Desire user here - everything is much faster than my old iPhone 3G, signal is better and I got a better deal on my contract terms as I went for a cheaper phone.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by Jimothy
This Droid sounds interesting..... Can anyone tell me what Root Access is?

The ability to navigate to the 'root' (example: the root in windows is "C:\" in linux it just "/" ) of the file system and all the program files, system files etc. Basically; root access = access to everything you'd never need to mess with and the kitchen sink. In most operating systems that aren't developed by Macintosh root access is given to users who have admin access.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 24, 2010,
I got an iPhone 4 cos I had enough points with Orange to get one without paying much extra...

and I have to say it is absolutely amazing, my dad has the 3G and it beats it in everything; and the HD recording is superb ^^ then again I haven't tried the HtC or the others mentioned...
Gibson Les Paul Std HB
Fender MIM telecaster MW
Epiphone ZW Les Paul
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
MXR ZW-44
Dunlop Crybaby
Line 6 Relay G30

www.myspace.com/arovidia

Quote by Will Swanson
Pull your scrotum out, and smear it over your walls.
i have a htc desire and think its great but i dont really know to the full extent of what the phone can do :/
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Rice_Pilot

Having a patent on the idea of it doesn't mean that they're going to do that anytime soon, if at all.

Anyway, if TS gets it relatively soon he can just choose not to update the os if they do get the fancy "kill switch."

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
I'm sticking with iPhone because I know that every time it does something wrong or breaks/crashes etc etc I can just take it down to an Apple store and have them look at it and fix it/replace it. I've had a 3G since it's come out, and yes, Apple controls the apps that you have access to, but they've also given me $1,500 worth of free iPhones to replace ones that have broken under my ownership. Additionally, while it is pretty popular to hate on iPhone/Apple at the moment, all the cons you listed to owning an iPhone 4 are wrong. 1) If you're paying a cent for ringtunes, you're doing it wrong. Google that shit. 2) iOS 4 is slow on my iPhone too; thats because its a 3G. The OS was designed for use on iPhone 4, and if you've ever used one, you'll know the thing runs like a dream.

Anyways, yes the Android phones are a great deal cheaper and most likely worth every penny with their "free market" apps, but any cell phone is an investment. Having worked on the other side, selling these phones to people and hearing their complaining about things going wrong, the service I've received at Apple stores regarding my iPhone can't be topped and that makes it worth it to me to stick with their products.
Well OP, do you have a 3g iphone right now?

The only iphones that can handle the iOS4 is the 3gs, and iphone4. Iphone4 has the same processor that is in the iPad which is apples own A4 with 512mb of ram it hauls insane ass, iOS4 looks incredible on it, I have a 3gs that runs iOS4 flawlessly but if I could go up to the iphone 4 I would do so in a heartbeat, its super super fast the screen has more pixels than your eye can even see. xD the camera is much better this time around, id say go for the iphone4 you wont regret it. It also has been proven that Iphone 3g's that update to iOS4 become slower than balls apple is trying to fix this but it probably wont happen.

What im pretty much saying it get an iphone4 it will run 10 times better than your old phone did.
Last edited by IbanezPlayer27 at Aug 24, 2010,