Hey, I'm looking for a new combo amplifier. My price range is anything up to $1000, maybe a little higher if necessary. I want a TUBE amp with great clean tones but that can also play stuff like classic or hard rock (AC/DC, Zeppelin, etc.) I don't necessarily need enough distortion for metal though because I have a 5150 already. I am much more focused on getting an amp with some really good cleans. Any suggestions you have to offer would be appreciated! thanks.

I don't really need a huge amp, I want one that would be suitable for small clubs (in other words I don't want to have to keep the volume at 1 if im somewhere small and then lose all my tone) but I also want one that can get loud enough for some fairly sized venues.

EDIT: I also don't want to have to crank the amp to get a distorted tone, I want it to be pretty versatile sounding without making drastic volume changes.

EDIT: thanks a lot for all of your suggestions guys. I just decided that I want to probably buy a decent amp for around $500-$700 and spend the rest on an ibanez tubescreamer and a few other pedals, possibly a loopstation of some sort.
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Last edited by Pants99 at Aug 24, 2010,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
You might be able to get a used Fender Bassman for a grand. Of course you'd have to crank it or use an OD for hard rock.

yeah, I was checkin them out. the thing is I don't want to have to crank the amp to get a distorted tone, I want it to be pretty versatile sounding without making drastic volume changes.
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Orange Rocker 30. Their about £600-£700 new in UK which I think is just within your budget, though you may need to go used. Cleans are awesome, though you may need an EQ pedal to alter the tone abit as the clean channel has no EQ, it's just the pure sound of the guitar. The distortion is one of the best I've heard, with overdrive you can probs can metal but if your looking for AC/DC and Led Zep then this amp should do you nicely.

It's only 30 watts but tbh that should be plenty for any big-ish venues you'll be playing as most will mic your amp up anyway, and even if they dont it should be enough.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
any more suggestions in regards to the updated initial post?
Last edited by Pants99 at Aug 24, 2010,
bump
Marshall Class 5
Egnater Tweaker
Mesa DC-3 (or, if you can save up about $300-$400 more, a Mark I reissue)
Budda Superdrive 18.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??