Page 1 of 2
I've been deciding on these two. Im just curious which you guys think is better for playing at low volumes in an apartment. it will be used for hard rock in the style of gnr, iron maiden, ozzy, zeppelin...that kind of thing. what do you guys think?
Last edited by crazygnr1996 at Aug 26, 2010,
Don’t listen to the BS on from the UG tube snobs who can’t get off the bandwagon for these amps; tube amps don’t sound good if you have to keep the volume down. Get a modeling amp or a tube preamp and some monitor speakers. If you’re dumb enough to get on the UG tube snob bandwagon buy the Jet City so you can at least sell it later when you realize how bad tube amps are with the volume between .5 and 1.
Quote by jpnyc
Don’t listen to the BS on from the UG tube snobs who can’t get off the bandwagon for these amps; tube amps don’t sound good if you have to keep the volume down. Get a modeling amp or a tube preamp and some monitor speakers. If you’re dumb enough to get on the UG tube snob bandwagon buy the Jet City so you can at least sell it later when you realize how bad tube amps are with the volume between .5 and 1.

and how bad cheap SS amps sound when distorted/overdriven

Jet city by a mile if you dont want a clean channel..its better for the type of music youplay
Last edited by archenemyfan at Aug 24, 2010,
Quote by jpnyc

Your profile says you have an HT-5. Now it does say your selling it but you still bought one.

I would say get the HT-5 because of the two channels and headphone jack. If neither of those matter then yes going for the Jet City is the better choice.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by jpnyc

See, that's why there's 5w (and even smaller) tube amps. So you can have the volume on 2 or 3 in your apartment. You don't need to crank most amps for them to sound good.

Also, nice generalising, brah. Not all tube amps are created equal, neither are all solid state ones.

TS, if you want really low volumes, the HT5 is the better choice. If the volume of a loud tv set is acceptable, the JC isn't too loud, either. I think the JC will be more to your taste, tonally.
I'd get a Super Champ XD. It will cover those styles and it sounds great at low volumes. You get the advantage of an excellent modeling preamp combined with a 15 watt tube power amp. The best of both worlds.
Quote by Sound_Garden_X
Your profile says you have an HT-5. Now it does say your selling it but you still bought one.

I would say get the HT-5 because of the two channels and headphone jack. If neither of those matter then yes going for the Jet City is the better choice.

Im guessing hes just pissed he jumped on the HT5 bandwagon.
Quote by jpnyc
God you suck at posting dude. Just stop.
The HT-5 sounds great at bedroom levels. And it only gets better when it's cranked. Not every tube amp sounds bad at low volumes, and I'd say a tube amp can never sound bad at low levels, it's just not as good as it could be when cranked.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
The HT-5 sounds great at bedroom levels. And it only gets better when it's cranked. Not every tube amp sounds bad at low volumes, and I'd say a tube amp can never sound bad at low levels, it's just not as good as it could be when cranked.

Basically my sentiments also. My 6505+ doesn't sound bad at low volumes, it just sounds much better cranked, and at low volumes it still beats the shit out of most Modellers
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Basically my sentiments also. My 6505+ doesn't sound bad at low volumes, it just sounds much better cranked, and at low volumes it still beats the shit out of most Modellers

It also helps that my amp is a small 5-watter. I've never been happier with my tone.
Just curious, are you unhappy with your Pod X3? Because, IMO, that plus some headphones is ideal for low volume playing.
Quote by jpnyc

Someone's grumpy.

Sure - it's not going to sound good at .5 volume, super fizzy and weak, but nothing will - .5 on a 100w amp is REALLY quiet. If you can't turn up an amp past .5, you might as well not even have an amp in the first place. Modern tube amps are meant to sound good at low volume, no longer do you need to crank amps for them to sound good because the gain is in the preamp, not the power amp. Sure, they'll sound better if you get some volume out of them, but they won't sound bad just because they're low volume (assuming you're at at least 1).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
well i like the sound ok but i just dont like wearing headphones. im learning to play while standing up and its very annoying while having headphones. plus eventually im gonna wanna start playin with my friend ( he got drums a couple weeks ago ) so i want a real amp to jam with. is the jet city best for those tones?
Quote by crazygnr1996
well i like the sound ok but i just dont like wearing headphones. im learning to play while standing up and its very annoying while having headphones. plus eventually im gonna wanna start playin with my friend ( he got drums a couple weeks ago ) so i want a real amp to jam with. is the jet city best for those tones?

The HT-5 won't be loud enough to jam with a drummer then.

The JCA is an awesome amp, especially for the price. I love mine
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by crazygnr1996

The JC 20 would work great for you, I think. I used one for a bit before deciding on the 50. For Ozzy, you might want to throw some extra distortion in front of it, but for Zep & stuff, it should give you plenty of drive. Will also be fine with a drummer.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
^adding more speakers isn't going to make it louder. In fact, the Emperor 1x12 I bought for mine makes that amp louder than through my Mesa 4x12

Quote by Ratraisin
The JC 20 would work great for you, I think. I used one for a bit before deciding on the 50. For Ozzy, you might want to throw some extra distortion in front of it, but for Zep & stuff, it should give you plenty of drive. Will also be fine with a drummer.

The 20 has plenty of gain for Ozzy. Ivan get modern metal out of mine, without a boost
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by crazygnr1996

Ah, well that's a whole other story. In this case the JCA 20 should work out rather well for you.
Quote by jpnyc

Hmm. I don't think that people should listen to the BS from YOU, brosef. My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is a hellish loud thing, and for practising by myself, I don't need to go above 2. It still sounds great, though.

@ TS: Don't believe the hype about the Blackstar. Sure, it's OKAY, but it's nothing particularly special. The Jet City, however, is a nice little amp, so I'd take that one.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Playing with a drummer? Jet City wins.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by crazygnr1996
would a 4x12 make it too loud? i know its kinda overkill but ive always wanted one
too loud? no. too badass for you? probably.
Quote by MatrixClaw

The 20 has plenty of gain for Ozzy. Ivan get modern metal out of mine, without a boost

Maybe my other guitarists way-over-the-top-gain was making mine sound mild in comparison. Which happened to be thru a JC 100. Also
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Quote by jpnyc

I play my HT5 on 3 with it boosted by my EQ pedal

Also on topic

JCA
But i like the HT5 too
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
alternatively, i was looking at the egnater tweaker. its a bit more expensive, but the sound demos on youtube sound waaaay better. anyone have experience with the tweaker? from the videos, sounds like the tweaker has a much fuller sound than the jet city.
The Tweaked had a fatter sound but it was pretty muddy IMO. Cool amp, but all the features on it didn't do as much to the sound as I thought it would, most were pretty subtle.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by jpnyc

I REALLY WISH ACOUSTICMIRROR WAS UNBANNED
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
lol, I was wondering where he was.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by NosralTserrof

GTFO!!

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by beckyjc
Dont worry, youll always be cooler than acousticmirror/whatever his name is.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by beckyjc
Dont worry, youll always be cooler than acousticmirror/whatever his name is.

holyshit if only I had matrixclaw's reputation..

hearing you're awesome from becky jc is the best sig-able thing in UG
Quote by beckyjc
wat...why?
Because you're potentially cooler than MC?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
Because you're potentially cooler than MC?

What the!?

Clearly no one is cooler than me

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2