Okay so I played this lick last night and I have to know if it's just hard for me or is it really actually hard to play quickly and cleanly? You tell me...

|----------------6---------------6------------|
|------4--5--7----7-5-4-5-7----7-5-------|
|----------------------------------------------| x4
|----------------------------------------------|

Try to play it using the one finger per fret rule, starting with your index on the 4th fret, middle on the 5th, pinky on the 7th, and then use your ring finger to hit the 6th on the high E.

Is this only hard for me?????
i mean this in the nicest way possible but.....its just you brotha.
Depends on the BPM, but with a little practice it shouldn't be that hard I guess.
It's hard for you now. It will become effortless when you develop enough.
yeah its kinda tricky but you shouldnt beat yourself up with this. just play it slow then gradually go faster youll get it.
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
Looks like I need to practice as well. It would help if I was into music with faster playing.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by teamhex
Looks like I need to practice as well. It would help if I was into music with faster playing.

indeed,allmost like 90% of the goons around here who cant play and ask me for lesson,but then all they listen to is like....silversun pickups,and indie/alternative rock (p.s.what makes it so alternative if it mainstream and thats all the radio plays?)
anyway,but then they ask why they arnt that good.its like a athlete,and then a fat guy....fat guy says "why cant i run faster then you" 1,it starts with actions,ther plenty of mild souls who can play shred guitar,but they work at it,mainly you have to have a want/desire to play,it has to eat at you to want to play,if you dont have that drive.....just give up guitar or just trade in for a acoustic and sings mellow whatever songs.as for the people who ask for lessons.....the 90% get turned down,because they dont have a drive and practice at home like ther suppose to,waste my time,and thers.
Last edited by CAGEDtheory at Aug 24, 2010,
|---------------------------------------------------|
|-------------7--11--7-----------7--11--7-----|
|-----8--9--------------9--8--9--------------9--|

Try it now, same notes but easier fingering
Ho guys I didn't say I couldn't play lol I do listen to lots of shred music and I practice hours everyday hahaha. The lick itself isnt hard to play (it actually ridiculously simple I know) if I could finger it however I wanted, but what I'm really asking is if the fingering is hard for anybody else. Using the ring finger to hit that Bb. Oh and by the way bpm is like 145 to 160 or so. It just surprised me how hard that was to do cleanly. Thanks for all the feedback bros
Sounds like you need to learn some finger independence. Grind the Sweet Child O' Mine intro and do 1-2s with your ring and pinky fingers 'til you cry from boredom.
the inherently awkward nature of your lick contributes to the challenging features of said lick, both mentally AND physically. altering the lick to adjacent strings in order to alleviate said difficulty would only assist in minimizing the effectiveness of the lick. performing the lick as part of a practice routine or warmup prior to an important concert may enhance your ability as a guitarist. it is SUPPOSED to be tricky!! if you think it is so easy, CONGRATULATIONS!
It's not you, people who say it's you are either a) natural born geniuses and have around 10 years of experience playing guitar (which I assume they are, this board is literally filled with pros like that) or b) can't play shit and don't know what they are talking about (unlikely to find a person like that on this board).

It's quite hard lick if you try it around 120bpm+ 16th notes alt picked - because a) it involves changing strings which might be hard for a beginner b) fingering of it is quite awkward.

Good exercise tho, try to play it very cleanly at around 50-60 bpm for a week, then it will become a little bit easier. Good news is that learning will help you in many areas.

ps. alt pick it strictly, no legato or "I don't know wtf I am doing" aka economy picking.

ps. if you can already play it at 140 bpm 16th cleanly, then I'd stop practicing is and start recording an album.
Last edited by mdeeRocks at Aug 25, 2010,
Start of slow I mean really slow till you can get it as clean as you want then speed up and repeat the process till you get to the speed you want. Try use a different fingerings also and find the most comfortable to you. Practice makes perfect I practice atleast 4 hours a day thats not including jamming after I get done practicing what I want to practice I.E scales,technique, and then learning another few bars of a song im working on.
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Is a very typical Paul Gilbert lick. Is gonna really hard if you're don't have great finger independence between the ring and pinky which is very common.

And what is that "I don't know wtf I am doing" aka economy picking thing? It sounds like the same type of "anchoring is bad" theory.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by mdeeRocks

ps. alt pick it strictly, no legato or "I don't know wtf I am doing" aka economy picking.

I'm curious as to why you believe economy picking is equivalent to "I don't know wtf I am doing"...
Quote by DaMetalMaverick
I'm curious as to why you believe economy picking is equivalent to "I don't know wtf I am doing"...

I know this wasn't directed at me, but a lot of people who are just alternate picking badly slap the name "economy picking" on it. Chances are, if you haven't set out with the goal of learning to economy pick, you're not economy picking.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
I know this wasn't directed at me, but a lot of people who are just alternate picking badly slap the name "economy picking" on it. Chances are, if you haven't set out with the goal of learning to economy pick, you're not economy picking.

Well that's not true, I know a guitarist or two who economy pick but they didn't start out thinking "I'm going to learn to economy pick" - they started out thinking "I'm going to learn to play guitar" and didn't think about the intricate physical details.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well that's not true, I know a guitarist or two who economy pick but they didn't start out thinking "I'm going to learn to economy pick" - they started out thinking "I'm going to learn to play guitar" and didn't think about the intricate physical details.

I said, "chances are", most of the time when I hear somebody claim that economy picking just came naturally to them, it turns out they're just alternate picking badly.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
the intro to condemned by aild took me a bit to figure out since the "high" notes are offbeat, but it just takes practice.

there is no huge stretch or anything in that likc so like others have said, if you start slow enough and find the groove you should be able to accelerate the speed in no time.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON