Page 1 of 2
L.A. builds US's most expensive school

I think this is a ridiculous waste of money.

What does the Pit think?

It would be pretty sweet to attend there though...
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Did they start building it before or after the recession started? Its not like you begin building it and just stop because of hard times
I saw this yesterday. My first though was "I hope this is the final piece needed for the entire place to slide into the Pacific."
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
It's almost as cool as spending money on a mausoleum.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
I thought California was broke?
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
As my dad always used to say to me when I wasted my money on something overpriced and pointless, "if it's worth it to you, be my guest and buy it."

Guess L.A. doesn't have anything better to spend their money on.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
jeeeeeeesus christ, 568 MILLION on a school... bit of a waste of money tbh, but i guess it'd be a sweet place to go.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by tubatom868686
Its not like you begin building it and just stop because of hard times

There are unfinished townhouses in my town that will beg to differ with you.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
That's strange, considering many other cities are closing a number of their schools.
Quote by Gyroscope

They are
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
As I understand it, the original money for the school construction came from a bond measure voted for by the public. Thus the original money could not be spent any other way. Along the way there were unforseeable mandatory costs that had to be paid (i.e.- $33 million that needed to be spent on methane gas mitigation costs, $15 million on historic feature preservation costs, etc.). Then there were the ever inflating construction material costs. And so on and so forth. You see, the voters need to be VERY careful what they vote for- the unforseen consequences can sometimes be very costly.
Quote by Jackal58
My first though was "I hope this is the final piece needed for the entire place to slide into the Pacific."
This.
One day met a and he was all like because he had
never met a before. I told about the powers that this
possessed and he proceeded to it for its magical meat.
Then died. The End.
Quote by Gyroscope

Doesn't mean they'll stop spending more than everything.
Would be more logical to build/better stock libraries around the area as oppose to just putting every penny into one building.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
school is officially a waste of time and money.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by tubatom868686
Did they start building it before or after the recession started? Its not like you begin building it and just stop because of hard times

That sort of thing happens all the time actually.

I'm sure they had this school planned and budgeted for at least 5 years now. It isn't like you just start up a project like this during the recession. If they felt they had the funds to complete it, then good for them.

EDIT:

In Los Angeles, officials say the new schools were planned long before the economic pinch and are funded by $20 billion in voter-approved bonds that do not affect the educational budget.

So there you go. They were approved and the money voted for before the economic crises started. I can't exactly blame them for going forward with the project in that case. Why build half of the school and stop? That would be even more of a waste of $ than building it in the first place.
it's a school...soon it's just going to end up with graffiti all over the outside walls, writing on the bathroom walls, writing in the classroom walls, possibly a smashed window, unused wardrobes stuffed with joints and sigs and cans, and i don't know what else.
that was worth it.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
honestly, i've learnt in run down, old buildings and high-tech smart buildings and i always learn more and have more fun in the tacky buildings. this is just for the teachers and to make sure the misbehaved kids get more out of their education.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by Craigo
Daytripper's got this one.

At least that money was probably also funding private contractors.

I'm sure it did. Plus they said there were thousands of teachers who lost their jobs during the recession. This means quite a few of them will likely have jobs again.
That's good but I saw on the news today that they have LCD TVs in the halls and some special floor in the gym

There's probably a lot more stuff in there that is unneeded.
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Quote by Jackal58
I saw this yesterday. My first though was "I hope this is the final piece needed for the entire place to slide into the Pacific."

And this has probably already been said but it would have been started and planned way before the recession started.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Shouldn't they be spending that money on fire fighters, rescue workers and what not considering half of the state is perpetually on fire, having an earth quake, having a mud slide or some other natural disaster?
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
Shouldn't they be spending that money on fire fighters, rescue workers and what not considering half of the state is perpetually on fire, having an earth quake, having a mud slide or some other natural disaster?

They should be preparing for when they slide into the ocean.
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
I was involved in a schools project and it finished construction a few months back. It cost £55 million for 2 schools and a PE centre with swimming pool and so on. That school is just way overboard and reckless considering the times we are in now.
I still feel like nobody is realizing the fact that the plans were in place and the money approved before the financial crisis hit.

It isn't like they planned this in the middle of the crisis. That would be stupid, and anger about it would be justifiable.

I can understand thinking it's stupid that they would spend that much on a school, but I'd rather have them spending it on a school than a lot of other things.
Quote by daytripper75
I still feel like nobody is realizing the fact that the plans were in place and the money approved before the financial crisis hit.

It isn't like they planned this in the middle of the crisis. That would be stupid, and anger about it would be justifiable.

I can understand thinking it's stupid that they would spend that much on a school, but I'd rather have them spending it on a school than a lot of other things.

Could have gotten a few schools for that price lol
Only us middle class and lower folks are experiencing a recession. Those whom were wealthy before it still have just as much bank.
Great idea on paper. However, the real stinger is the amazingly high dropout rate and the massive teacher lay-offs.
Plus, the way the average student treats things, it may become run down real quick
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
"Trans Princess". You're bitching over nothing, and you know it.
What better way to get a sub-par Amurican education than getting it in a ridiculously oversized taxpayer funded building?
Quote by :Vicious--
how did u guys get from pit flags to mace windu raping kids using an ice cream truck

Quote by -Vogel-
"Don't touch my buttsecks"
Page 1 of 2