*Just thought I should post this here and see if it can be improved before submitting it*

So, from the browsing of the Pit and occasionally lurking the metal forum, I've noticed a pattern emerge. There are people who religiously follow one genre of music, and immediately dismiss any music they hear outside of their genre,or opposes their favourite band/s. Then there are people who have a more open minded view to music, and listen to new material before they judge the content and decide whether it is worth listening to.This can lead to a feud between fans of bands/genres.

An example of this is Megadeth-Metallica feud. I like both bands for their music, but mainly Metallica's pre 1991 stuff, and a majority of Megadeth's albums. From what I've seen in documentaries, Dave Mustaine can be an asshole, but he is an amazing guitarist and is great wordsmith in the lyrics of his songs, particularly on Megadeth's newest album 'Endgame'. For example, in "This Day We Fight" Dave sings, "On this day I decide to anoint my fists, Engaging them in the mode of power and war". For me, this capture's the raw emotion of a soldier eager for battle in a foreign country.

When Metallica kicked Dave out of the band, and replaced him with Kirk Hammet, he started Megadeth and the feud between the bands began. Now some Megadeth fans hate Metallica and their fans, and vice-versa, all because of a fight in the 1980's. Metallica fans that I know don't even listen to Megadeth songs, and instantly call them MegaGay as soon as the band is mentioned. I try to tell them how they have good songs, but they just say the band is sh-it and change the subject.

Another example is of metal fans disliking Avenged Sevenfold, when they have similar influences and styles in their music to other metal bands. I recently purchased their new album 'Nightmare', and I don't know why they are disliked to such an extent, because I see no reason for their blind hate. Their guitarist Synyster Gates wrote some incredible solo's on the album and on their previous albums, and the lyrics on the album clearly show their mourning over the passing of their drummer, Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan.

So who are the real fans? People who have variety in their taste, or those who have a narrow-minded taste? Because I listen to some mainstream music such as Paramore and Green Day, and there are people that I know who can't understand how I can listen to them and listen to metal too.
Life's shit
Last edited by Super Scout at Aug 24, 2010,
This looks more like a blog post than an article to me
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
tl;dr, The pit is full of elitists.

Anybody who enjoys a bands music is a real fan. Do you really think the band gives a shit who the "real" fans are as long as people are enjoying their music?
People are shallow,accept that.
If you could reason with religious people,there would be no religious people.
Quote by Super Scout
*Just thought I should post this here and see if it can be improved before submitting it*

So, from the browsing of the Pit and occasionally lurking the metal forum, I've noticed a pattern emerge. There are people who religiously follow one genre of music, and immediately dismiss any music they hear outside of their genre,or opposes their favourite band/s. Then there are people who have a more open minded view to music, and listen to new material before they judge the content and decide whether it is worth listening to.This can lead to a feud between fans of bands/genres.

You're JUST noticing this now? Also whats with the history lesson about megadeth/metallica every metalhead in the world knows that story? I am confused by your statements and the general idea you are trying to get across
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Quote by IRONMAIDENTLICA
You're JUST noticing this now? Also whats with the history lesson about megadeth/metallica every metalhead in the world knows that story? I am confused by your statements and the general idea you are trying to get across

I'm not just noticing, just thought that I should put into a blog.

That's why I posted it here, looking for some crit on what I should take out.
Life's shit
Cool story.. bro?

I agree though. Let people like what they want. I like Trivium, yet dislike their biggest influences - Metallica. I dislike nearly all rock bands, especially those with female vocalists, but I've liked Paramore since their first album (has NOTHING to do with the fact that Hayley is hawt >.<"). I'm also a fan of videogame music (Nintendo fanboy/nerd :/).

And none of what is on my ipod I am ashamed for people to see. Be it the Pokemon theme, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole or Infected Mushroom.

You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Quote by soundjam
tl;dr, The pit is full of elitists.

Anybody who enjoys a bands music is a real fan. Do you really think the band gives a shit who the "real" fans are as long as people are enjoying their music?

Yes, because the people that enjoy their music download it, and don't contribute to the band whatsoever.
The 'fanatics' are more likely to buy the albums.

Personally, I'm an open minded guy, I can listen to Eminem and then switch to Dream Evil and then BB King. It just depends on what mood I'm in.
Quote by duncang
This looks more like a blog post than an article to me

Gotta agree.
RIP Tom Searle.
I personally have somewhat of a wide range of music. my favorite band is Avenged Sevenfold but I won't go all "WTF HOW CAN YOU HATE THEM" mode because I know others have diffrent tastes they have their opinion and I have mine. and I can go from listening to BFMV to Backstreet Boys to Eminiem personally if it sounds good to me I'll like it. and with rap I like it if it's about life and not about bitches money and cars *cough* lil wayne *cough*
This article is too short and more of an already well-known history lesson of one of the most popular bands in history than an article with an actual point. It jut kind of seems like you took an obvious observation pasted a history to it and called it an article. Needs a central point to it.