Page 1 of 2
hi, i am thinking about what amp head i should purchase next and have narrowed it down to a JVM 410H and a DSL 100 JCM 2000.
I play glam Metal including Motley crue, Van Halen etc.
I have considered a JCM 800 and have decided against it. I would be using this amp regularly for band practise and gigs.
Thanks!
EDIT: PLEASE KEEP THIS POST ABOUT THESE AMPS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. AND GIVE ARGUEMENTS WHY ONE MIGHT BE BETTER THAN THE OTHER.
Last edited by RockGuitarist09 at Aug 24, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Neither really. What's wrong with the 800 or something like a Splawn or Egnater Renegade?

closes city? Used? Budget?

never looked at Splawn or Egnator to be honest. The JCM 800 just seems to be to much hastle with it being one channel. and i'd also like a amp with an effects loop.
My closest city is Newcastle UK, i dont really care if its used as long as it works and is in good condition. I don't really have a budget at the moment im just looking for the near future. My dad says after 11 more gigs he will get me whatever amp i want. though i dont want to be to cruel and get a really really expensive amp. (i know the JVM 410H is really expensive but i'll probably put a bit towards it if i get this one).
In case this helps my local store is guitarguitar.co.uk i might use ebay if i can get a good deal on it.
The JVM is a lotta lettuce for an amp that has a very... mixed reputation. You're better off with a Splawn Quickrod, which sounds like a hot-rodded 800. I'd say that's perfect for what you're playing.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by stykerwolf
The 800 slays both those amps if you ask me
Didn't Motley use 800s anyway?

i think they still do
Orange Rockerverb 100.

That amp makes me happy.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MortifiedLizard
The JVM is a lotta lettuce for an amp that has a very... mixed reputation. You're better off with a Splawn Quickrod, which sounds like a hot-rodded 800. I'd say that's perfect for what you're playing.

I've searched the main shops online in the UK and not heard a whisper of the name splawn. Though ive looked at the quickrod and it seems very impressive. But i dont think its available in the UK
Jcm 800.

/thread.

Seriously, dude. Check those out.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
between the 2 the dsl definitely although a jcm 900 or 800 would be better
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Fisheth24
Jcm 800.

/thread.

Seriously, dude. Check those out.

This isn't about the JCM 800. Its about the DSL 100 and the JVM 410H
There are two channel JCM800s you know?
2210/2205
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1^

There is a Splawn dealer in Europe that you can find on their web site. Not sure if they carry any in stock. They are usually build to order.

Of those two I like the DSL better. There is something about the distortion of the JVMs that I personally do not care for, even on the green mode. Cleans and reverb are nice though. If you go the JVM route look at the 210.

Also look at the Laney GH heads and the Rockerverb as mentioned.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 24, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
There are two channel JCM800s you know?
2210/2205

but there's no effect loop. Which i really want.
Quote by stykerwolf
What's up with the capitals? anyways if you want our suggestion on only those two amps and are not listening to our advice of other amps, then DSL

the whole thing was meant to be in capitals to make it stand out but when i submitted it, it ended up like that. i usually do leave my opinions open but i want to find out which i prefer out of these 2 first
the JVM is a pretty good amp, when i played it i thought it was very good. you get 4 channels which is overkill IMO but better than just one or two. the DSL i have never played but have only heard good things about. go and find one of each and play them back to back if at all possible
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
^why is 4 channels better than 1 or 2?

Seriously, the more channels and extra junk that get added to an amp the more the tone degrades. Your signal has to deal with more stuff in its path. My opinion of course.

TS - I just think the DSLs imo sound more organic than the JVM but the DSLs also suffer from some quality control that I've noticed - similar to the JVMs. Sounds like you are pretty stuck on these two so you'll just have to go play them and make your own decision.

This is a forum, so opinions and other options you will get whether you want them or not. For the money I probably would not buy either one. A two channel modded 800 would be perfect and FX loops are over-rated. I used to think I needed one too and now I don't really use it.

Also, typing in ALL caps is considered yelling on a forum and I don't think you wanted to come across as yelling.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 24, 2010,
Try the JVM out, i thought it rocked. It could do everything, and everything well. There are mixed opinions about it, and I have admittedly not tried a jcm800 or 2000, but from what i have heard the 800 is way better.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Neither really. What's wrong with the 800 or something like a Splawn or Egnater Renegade?

closes city? Used? Budget?

no offense but Flagship =

agreed.

TS, you play hair metal but don't want an 800???
atleast LOOK at the Splawn line up too.
...and if you have the money to burn, check out Diamond amps (I like the Phantom... basically yet another hotrodded JCM800 tho TBH)

EDIT: ^311, can't altogether agree with the last comment about multiple ch's, but I see what you're getting at. TS, don't be fooled by 'bells & whistles,' choose an amp that sounds the best to you.
Last edited by GrisKy at Aug 24, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Seriously, the more channels and extra junk that get added to an amp the more the tone degrades. Your signal has to deal with more stuff in its path. My opinion of course.

TS - I just think the DSLs imo sound more organic than the JVM but the DSLs also suffer from some quality control that I've noticed - similar to the JVMs. Sounds like you are pretty stuck on these two so you'll just have to go play them and make your own decision.

+1

The extra channels, features, etc. may sound like a good idea and provide flexibility, but you'll probably end up using two main tones and ignoring everything else. You'll dial in a clean and dirty sound to your liking, throw a boost in front, and call it a day.

More times than not, that's the case for gigging musicians. You'll find that more than two main tones will turn into a hassle.
I don't understand why you're so dead-set on having one of these two amps. There are many other amps in that price range that do the same tones many times better than the JVMs and DSLs.

It seems to me like you just want an amp head with the Marshall logo on it. If that's the case, they sell stick-on logos on ebay for like 2 bucks.

So with that said, I recommend neither. Marshall hasn't put out anything worth the new price tag ('cept maybe the Class 5 and some RIs) in like 2 decades.

As long as you're looking to drop over a thousand, look at Orange Amps. Rockerverb or Thunderverb, both slay Marshall's current high gain offerings. They are a British company and pretty much set out to do what other amp companies do except better for the same amount of money.

And 4 channels is overkill. Modern high gain amps have enough gain on tap that clean channels get crunchy and OD channels get heavy. A cheap clean boost for solos would be quite possibly the only extra bit of gain you'd need for the kind of music you'd want. Besides, 4 channels = more intricate circuit with more travel length which = more tonal degradation.
Last edited by Seref at Aug 24, 2010,
^ The handwired 2061 and 1974 reissues are also good.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
What about Blackstar? It's run by a group of guys who left Marshall and their amps cost less if I'm not mistaken
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

This is a forum, so opinions and other options you will get whether you want them or not. For the money I probably would not buy either one. A two channel modded 800 would be perfect and FX loops are over-rated. I used to think I needed one too and now I don't really use it.

Also, typing in ALL caps is considered yelling on a forum and I don't think you wanted to come across as yelling.

clean, low gain, high gain rythm and high gain lead tones all in the box no need for adding pedals or anything. i'd say that was more versatile than a 2 channel amp, however i would say that the DSL is better the JVM is a good amp but not worth the price tbh
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by Seref
I don't understand why you're so dead-set on having one of these two amps. There are many other amps in that price range that do the same tones many times better than the JVMs and DSLs.

It seems to me like you just want an amp head with the Marshall logo on it. If that's the case, they sell stick-on logos on ebay for like 2 bucks.

So with that said, I recommend neither. Marshall hasn't put out anything worth the new price tag ('cept maybe the Class 5 and some RIs) in like 2 decades.

As long as you're looking to drop over a thousand, look at Orange Amps. Rockerverb or Thunderverb, both slay Marshall's current high gain offerings. They are a British company and pretty much set out to do what other amp companies do except better for the same amount of money.

And 4 channels is overkill. Modern high gain amps have enough gain on tap that clean channels get crunchy and OD channels get heavy. A cheap clean boost for solos would be quite possibly the only extra bit of gain you'd need for the kind of music you'd want. Besides, 4 channels = more intricate circuit with more travel length which = more tonal degradation.

There is such a thing as used amps. And no Orange are not a replacement for marshalls. I have heard plenty of people who bought an orange expecting this and they were dissatisfied. If he wants a marshall, let him get one.
Quote by shredftw
clean, low gain, high gain rythm and high gain lead tones all in the box no need for adding pedals or anything. i'd say that was more versatile than a 2 channel amp, however i would say that the DSL is better the JVM is a good amp but not worth the price tbh

My Splawn covers all of that ground with two channels, no pedals, and 3 button footswitch for:

Clean/OD
OD1/OD2
Solo Boost

and yes, ALL of the gain on it is usable.
Quote by RockGuitarist09
but there's no effect loop. Which i really want.

All those bands you mentioned would have been running all their effects out front.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by GrisKy
agreed.

TS, you play hair metal but don't want an 800???
atleast LOOK at the Splawn line up too.
...and if you have the money to burn, check out Diamond amps (I like the Phantom... basically yet another hotrodded JCM800 tho TBH)

EDIT: ^311, can't altogether agree with the last comment about multiple ch's, but I see what you're getting at. TS, don't be fooled by 'bells & whistles,' choose an amp that sounds the best to you.

i have looked at them and i cannot find any UK suppliers.
Quote by RockGuitarist09
i have looked at them and i cannot find any UK suppliers.

TS. Ever heard of the Internet? Could get it shipped in from Europe.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by MatrixClaw
Orange Rockerverb 100.

That amp makes me happy.

You should try the Thunderverb.

Anyways, I actually owned a JCM800 in my teens. Great amp but something about it left me wanting ..........more..........of.........something. Its been YEARS since I've even seen one.

I've played a few Splawn amps and they were definitely more impressive then my old JCM800.

I have only limited experience with the JVM & DSL series from Marshall. I definitely prefered the tone on the JVM over the DSL. However, I also feel that the 50 watt JVM (JVM-205H) sounds MUCH better then the 100 watt version (JVM-410H).

All that aside, if you can afford a Splawn amp then go check one out, they are really cool. Otherwise, between the ones you have picked out, it would definitely have to be the JVM.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
One last point of interest. I absolutely HATE it when people ask on forums about which amp they should buy. I mean, I'd be happy to describe my experience with them. But this is an amp that you are buying for YOU.

You really should go to the store and try them all out for yourself. See which one you like better. Isn't that more important then which ones we like?

Also, if neither one of these amps jump out feel like they are "the one" for you. Then don't force yourself into a purchase. Go out and keep looking until you find the right one.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
I recommend the DSL 100 because you can get one used a lot cheaper than a JVM 410H.

I've seen DSL 100 heads go for as little as $550 on ebay. That's a LOT of great tone for not too much money.

I have both a DSL 100 and a JCM 800 2203X and they both get exactly the tone I want.

I never channel switch though. I just set the amp for a medium crunch, back off my guitar volume for cleans and step on my Tubescreamer for high gain hair metal tone.

I agree about needing an effects loop. I find them extremely useful if you're going to use chorus and delay. Also a clean boost works great in your effects loop if you want to boost your overall volume when taking a solo.

In summary: Get the DSL 100. Great tone. Effects loop. Channel switching (if you're into that sorta thing), and very affordable used.
Quote by dcooper830
I recommend the DSL 100 because you can get one used a lot cheaper than a JVM 410H.

I've seen DSL 100 heads go for as little as $550 on ebay. That's a LOT of great tone for not too much money.

I have both a DSL 100 and a JCM 800 2203X and they both get exactly the tone I want.

I never channel switch though. I just set the amp for a medium crunch, back off my guitar volume for cleans and step on my Tube screamer for high gain hair metal tone.

I agree about needing an effects loop. I find them extremely useful if you're going to use chorus and delay. Also a clean boost works great in your effects loop if you want to boost your overall volume when taking a solo.

In summary: Get the DSL 100. Great tone. Effects loop. Channel switching (if you're into that sorta thing), and very affordable used.

I have never seen one that cheap, but I'm not saying your lying. I got my for about $850, (for the head) and it was Voodoo Modified. I love that amp, would never sell it.

By the way dcooper830, I saw your videos on Youtube. I Like them a lot. Great playing with great gear.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by the1967mustang
I have never seen one that cheap, but I'm not saying your lying. I got my for about $850, (for the head) and it was Voodoo Modified. I love that amp, would never sell it.

By the way dcooper830, I saw your videos on Youtube. I Like them a lot. Great playing with great gear.

I've seen them as low as $400 locally.

I wouldn't give you more than about $600 for a DSL.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
the JVM has a more modern amount of weight and depth in the tone.
800s are fine for that 80s rock tone. but it is not the end all of marshall tone.

trying making modern metal albums with the 800, its still retains that 80s rock sound.
JVM has way better saturated gain into the circuit, and heavier bass and lower mids.

the DSL100 has more of vintage modern tone, they keep the tones in check, its not very saturated in gain. will achieve the 800 or JVM with pedals and eqs.
Page 1 of 2