My 6505 has suddenly gone really quiet, at master volume 3 its barely even bedroom levels, and the distortion is really thin and fuzzy sounding. I read online that this is normally because of a faulty preamp tube, so I bought an EHX 12AX7 and swapped it for each preamp tube in my amp 1 by 1, but this didnt fix the problem at all.

Anyone have any ideas? I need to gig with this thing on Sunday and it sounds awful

Ibanez RG1550 with Bareknuckle Nailbombs and Mothers Milk
1976 Gibson SG Standard
Peavey 6505
Framus 2x12 (V30s)

If it's doing that on both channels, you might want to consider power tubes.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Yeah both channels doing it points strongly at power tube problems.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
All power tubes seem to glow the same, all look to be in working order, how can I tell which ones blown if it is? Cheers!

Ibanez RG1550 with Bareknuckle Nailbombs and Mothers Milk
1976 Gibson SG Standard
Peavey 6505
Framus 2x12 (V30s)

i would do a eurotube retube kit if you can spare the cash.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by DarylCooper
All power tubes seem to glow the same, all look to be in working order, how can I tell which ones blown if it is? Cheers!

Were a tube to be blown, you would know it because the amp would have shut down abruptly during play when the tube blew. This occurs because an internal fuse blows when the power tube goes.

Glowing tubes is not a solid indicator of tube health. What is not visible is the breakdown of cathode emitter or anode plate where they no longer emit or collect electrons the way they should. This is what happens when a tube wears out. Depending on how well-matched your tubes are, it can be only one that's worn out to the point of affecting your sound this way, or it could be all four are evenly worn (give or take) or maybe just two.

Dougstubes.com, tubedepot.com, or eurotubes.com are all three great places to grab matched quads of power tubes.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Aug 25, 2010,