I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites where you could get a break down of many of the different things you need to think about when making an electric. I'm looking for things such as: the advantages of different types of woods, advantages of different body styles and neck styles, everything to do with the electric side of it and what things make certain sounds, blah blah blah. Pretty much a break down of what makes a guitar sound the way it does. Thanks for any help you can give.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've been to mylespaul forums and they have a bunch of build threads over there. Pretty interesting and maybe you can get some ideas from there too.
Read peoples build threads on here, and project guitar tutorials. Ultimate tonewood thread (in central hub, link above) for advantages and disadvantages of each wood. As for neck styles, do you mean bolt on/set/neck through? Coz if so, bolt on is easiest to assemble/dissassemble for repair, but sustain isnt as good. Set neck is in the middle for both, but neck through is best for sustain but a nightmare to repair if something goes wrong. I personally like bolt on best - i can take the neck off for stuff like fret dressing.
Body style would have very little tonal differences - its more the wood used. If you used the same pickups, wood etc as a les paul, but made into the body shape of a tele it will sound like a les paul. Personal preference here.
If you need anything else just ask
Quote by Invader Jim
a well-made bolt-on has just as much sustain as a set-neck. bolt-ons are wood-to-wood contact and set-necks are wood-to-glue contact.

Agreed. My Jackson has a bolt-on neck and didn't have good sustain. Now, after putting a brass big block in it, has a lot of sustain.

I would check out Project Guitar. A bunch of information at one place.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)