Ive been deciding wether I want to buy this amp or not, and I think I do. The only thing Id like to know from maybe someone whose played or owned one is can I get good AC\DC, Metallica tones out of it at the right settings?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by britishsligean
the 6505 is more of a metal amp than a hard rock amp, maybe look at a blackstar or marshall

No.

You can definitely get hard rock, classic rock, etc. tones out of it if you EQ it right and keep the gain lower.

The 6505 is a lot more versatile than people give it credit for. Unless you need pristine cleans as well, you should have no problem at least getting AC/DC and Metallica out of it.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
No.

You can definitely get hard rock, classic rock, etc. tones out of it if you EQ it right and keep the gain lower.

The 6505 is a lot more versatile than people give it credit for. Unless you need pristine cleans as well, you should have no problem at least getting AC/DC and Metallica out of it.

He's got a classic 30 (in his sig at least) so that should cover cleans
Quote by flashmdg
He's got a classic 30 (in his sig at least) so that should cover cleans

Yeah, I do still have the Classic 30, It just dont get metal tones I need, obviously. An A/B box would allow me to switch amp to amp, wont it?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by WtrPlyr
The Classic 30 will be better for AC/DC, and maybe even for older Metallica.

With the tubescreamer It does do pretty good, but I was wondering if the 6505 would also do it so I don't need to keep two amps.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by fender4482
Yeah, I do still have the Classic 30, It just dont get metal tones I need, obviously. An A/B box would allow me to switch amp to amp, wont it?

Yeah, of course ive got a classic 30 and im getting a booster to push it into the metal territory heres my thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353571&page=2&pp=20
classic 30 could do it with a booster easily, but the 6505 would probably do it better
Quote by DrNick
No.

+1, the 5150s are very versatile. Just because mostly metal bands use themdoesnt mean you can't use them for something else. I mean they were designed for van halen and ted nugent uses them too. Plus, I quite like the cleans and on the II/+, however the gain on the original is still the best.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You can absolutely approximate an AC/DC tone with the 6505's crunch channel. Hell if you crank it high enough you can even get it on the clean setting, but good luck doing that without an attenuator.

As a side note, I think it's funny that AC/DC, a band who helped define the sound of the cranked Marshall in Rock N Roll, doesn't even play Marshalls anymore.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
As a side note, I think it's funny that AC/DC, a band who helped define the sound of the cranked Marshall in Rock N Roll, doesn't even play Marshalls anymore.

It's arguable that there are lots of modding companies and standalone companies that can reach the ideal Marshall-esque crunch better than Marshall itself can. Really makes you think.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
It's arguable that there are lots of modding companies and standalone companies that can reach the ideal Marshall-esque crunch better than Marshall itself can. Really makes you think.

In that case it means that it's not a Marshall tone, but a tone in general, and Marshall simply pointed the way and approximated that tone so that other makers, especially boutique makers, could further refine and achieve it.

Marshall's best cases of achieving this tone were due to its hit-and-miss manufacturing nature. Ask most Marshall enthusiasts and they will tell you that many Marshalls will sound or respond at least slightly differently when comparing two of the same model.

I'd say that could be possibly due to inconsistency in transformer manufacturing. And it's not much of a secret that the quality has suffered in recent years, but then again so has Fender, Peavey and other major makers.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.