Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, let me hear your opinion on this.

As you guys will probably have noticed, once you learn how to play guitar, you notice that everyone and their uncle plays it. Ok, not really, but you get the idea. On the other hand, you struggle to find a bass player, let alone a good one.

Therefore, if you had the intention to play in a band, ANY band, as long as you could make some pocket money playing pubs, wouldn't it be best to be a bass player?

I'll give an example. I used to have a bass player in my band who was absolute horrid. He couldn't play anything without looking at his bass ALL the time. He had absolutely no idea what he was playing and he couldn't play anything that required half a skill.

In the end, me and him went different ways, I started focusing more on school and he kept on looking for bands. Eventually he found one with some pretty good guitar players, a great drummer and a fantastic singer. They played together for 4 years and played a few gigs here and there. One day, I even saw a video of him playing with his band on youtube, and you guessed it, he still kept looking at his bass and played some of the worst bass I have ever seen (like playing the same note for 30 seconds).

Now, I've been thinking possibly joining a band just for the sake of playing on weekends for pocket money. Since I will be in Uni, any money is worth it, really.

I already own a bass, and with my skill and flexibility, surely I should have an advantage, right?

Let me know what you guys think.
Almost every beginning band looks ages for a bass player or ends up with a guitar player play the bass. So if you want in a band quick you'd better gonna play bass.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
I'll attribute my level of success to my skill at making music, not my instrument.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Well, if you want to give up the idea of getting the higher priority when it comes to girls and attention, sure.

There's a reason bass isn't the most played instrument, and that's the price of the fact that you can easily find a band to play in.
DeVillains!
Ah the typical 'I can play guitar, therefore I must be great at bass' theory, never fails to make me smile.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Thats how I did it. I took 5 years of failing at guitar and turned it into winning at bass. Im pretty good too if I say so myself.

Sadly Tallica is right...nobody can hear the bass player most of the time but that just means when you make that inevitable **** up, nobody REALLY notices. Except the other bass players in the room.

I also enjoy playing bass a lot more than guitar now. So it wasnt as simple as "I suck at guitar, Im changing instrument"
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
Last edited by Zolom at Aug 24, 2010,
In one of his interviews Les Claypool said that this was one of the reasons he picked up bass.
So i guess you are right on that one.
But it is awful when a guy plays bass just to get gigs.I'm tired of those root-note-only players.
I can play guitar... decently.
I fail horridly at bass. It's a completely different instrument as far as playing style is concerned.

Also, I know 18 guitarists within a 5 kilometer radius. Only 2 bassists. So yeah, they're harder to find for a band. Thus, more bands are going to be looking for them.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Aug 24, 2010,
It's a bigger chance that you find a band that looks for a bass player than a band that looks for a guitarist!:P

I'm a bassist too and I'm kinda wanted! Here in my hometown in Sweden there are very few bass players so everytime a guy sees me playing he goes like: Oh, you're a bass player? Wanna try playing with my band?
If they **** up no one really notices. Like, I see live videos of successful bands and some times the bands stop playing for a few seconds to mess with their effects, and no one notices.
Quote by btones
Well yeah, it doesn't hurt to know as many instruments as possible.

Lame use of 'the more you know' picture there btones, I am dissapoint.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I've actually been playing bass just for this summer as there was a band that needed one and I thought it'd be a good opportunity to get some more gigging experience and of course money!
It's probably easier to get in a band when you're a bassplayer. But you'll make yourself look like a fool (not mentioning the rep of the band which could harbor some talented players) if you suck bollz at playing bass. It's not all about hitting the notes in the correct order. It's about feeling the groove, being the link between rythm and melody and most of all it's about NOT constantly looking at your fekking instrument. Oh and yes, a GOOD bassplayer CAN be heard. You just have to give your settings a little more attention. Also, it's important that the volume of the guitars isn't too high, it'll ruin the sound. You'd better go for balance than bleeding ears.
I guess so, I mean, I'm not an expert bassist, but I get asked to play in a bunch of bands.

I guess it's either because

a) I'm god at bass and I just didn't know it.

b) I dont just play root notes.

or...

c) I play bass
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by Todd Hart
Lame use of 'the more you know' picture there btones, I am dissapoint.

I am a galactic mass of disappointments

Bandless bassist reporting in. I live in a small town.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I've noticed that its easy to play bass, but its very difficult be a bassist. Same applies with drums.

Guitars don't matter. Anyone can play guitar.
The reason why people play guitar more is because it is seen as the main instrament in the band. Like people don't start playing football (soccer for you american folk) thinking "I wanna be a defender!" because striker's get the glory.

And just cause you can play guitar doesn't mean you can play bass.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
this man is of knowledge

Woo someone said i was smart, how silly
Quote by salgala2000
I hate guitarist who say "I'm decent at guitar. 6>4 so i must be 3/2 as good on bass!!!".

Funny. I always thought as myself as being a terrible guitarist.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
I'd say that competent drummers have the advantage because they are a lot more essential and rare.
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
You guys need to get to know more black people..I know a shit ton of bass players and a handful of guitarist!

I started out on bass. Wasn't bad, switched to guitar when our guitar player suckled ass and our singer was fired. our old singer is now our current bassist our old guitairst is our new singer and I am the lead guitar player.

Bass helped me with guitar when it came to hand strength. other than that they are very different instruments.
Being skilled at bass really sucks, because pretty often you will find guitar players who have not dedicated as much time to their instrument as you have, who think that playing guitar is oh-so-much more difficult. It's that feeling of 'Wow, if I had chosen guitar, instead wanting to make music more easily and play bass, I would probably be lightyears ahead of that person.'
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
Quote by Metallica1554
they can't be heard,

People can hear me. I turn it up louder than most people do. But I can play the thing pretty good, so I can get away with it.
Quote by SimplyStrings
Being skilled at bass really sucks, because pretty often you will find guitar players who have not dedicated as much time to their instrument as you have, who think that playing guitar is oh-so-much more difficult. It's that feeling of 'Wow, if I had chosen guitar, instead wanting to make music more easily and play bass, I would probably be lightyears ahead of that person.'

This.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by Ylasto
Well, if you want to give up the idea of getting the higher priority when it comes to girls and attention, sure.

There's a reason bass isn't the most played instrument, and that's the price of the fact that you can easily find a band to play in.

Actually, one time I went to a local band show with a girl. When the guys got on the stage, she pointed at the bassist and passionately said: "OMG, his guitar is sooo long!"
Nobody who actually knows anything about guitar or bass would think that guitar skills=bass skills.

I play guitar, but I spend a lot of time at my friends house, and I play his bass some. Sure, when you look at them they're similar, and knowledge of one definitely helps when playing the other, but on a bass the frets are farther apart, and all the bad bassists I see play with a pick and all the good ones play with their fingers, so I play it with my fingers. It's good for improving finger strength, but I couldn't play half the stuff I can on guitar on bass.

I have no respect for bassists that are just there playing root note. I have the utmost respect for bassists that actually know how to play (i.e Cliff Burton, Geddy Lee).
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
I would say that because there are less bassists, we get more leeway.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by salgala2000
I hate guitarist who say "I'm decent at guitar. 6>4 so i must be 3/2 as good on bass!!!".

Those are the most fun kind of guitarists. So I decided to learn the Selkies solo and Andy McKee's Rylynn on bass. A guitarist gave me all that, so I played the two pieces, handed him the bass and said "your turn."

That was fun.

Quote by ninjaapirate
Nobody who actually knows anything about guitar or bass would think that guitar skills=bass skills.

I play guitar, but I spend a lot of time at my friends house, and I play his bass some. Sure, when you look at them they're similar, and knowledge of one definitely helps when playing the other, but on a bass the frets are farther apart, and all the bad bassists I see play with a pick and all the good ones play with their fingers, so I play it with my fingers. It's good for improving finger strength, but I couldn't play half the stuff I can on guitar on bass.

I have no respect for bassists that are just there playing root note. I have the utmost respect for bassists that actually know how to play (i.e Cliff Burton, Geddy Lee).

Justin Chancellor uses a pick and is a fantastic bassist. Same with Chris Squire, Dave Ellefson... using a pick is not a crutch and only small minded musicians see it as such.

Also, Cliff Burton was just a lead guitarist playing bass, not a bassist.
It's not only about getting in a band, for me at least, it's about earning respect from your fellow musicians. The guy TS described doesn't sound respect-worthy.

Quote by Deliriumbassist

I concur.
Last edited by Mudmen190 at Aug 24, 2010,
I'm primarily a guitarist, but play bass in my band, mainly because there are no bassists.

But I wouldn't consider myself a root-note bassist, I'm skilled enough to make interesting basslines
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Dan Briggs, 'nuff said.

Though yeah, maybe. Though tons of bands these days do use 2 guitarists, sometimes 3, so there's a 2/1 Guitarist/bassist need mostly.
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
In certain kinds of music, any dillhole who can play guitar would be able to play bass.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Marry me!
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Those are the most fun kind of guitarists. So I decided to learn the Selkies solo and Andy McKee's Rylynn on bass. A guitarist gave me all that, so I played the two pieces, handed him the bass and said "your turn."

That was fun.

Justin Chancellor uses a pick and is a fantastic bassist. Same with Chris Squire, Dave Ellefson... using a pick is not a crutch and only small minded musicians see it as such.

oh shit, Ben just came in and took over the thread
Absolutely. I started playing bass a few years ago after many years of guitar beforehand. To start with it's very easy to learn particularly if you already know your way around the fretboard so there's not much to do before charging in there.

Secondly, there's way less pressure. I can make tons of mistakes and improvise a little when playing songs and hardly anyone notices. Actually, the first time I auditioned for my band we played Holy Wars by Megadeth and I screwed up the end so badly but they thought it was brilliant because they couldn't hear

Thirdly, it's waaay easier to join a band as a bassist. There are loads of people who want a bassist and so you get to choose which one suits you best.

The only downside is that sometimes it isn't as fun to play as the guitar is and it's far more tiring.

EDIT:

Amen to that Deliriumbassist. I use a pick and it's not because my fingers are slow (though I admit the stuff I do with my band would be extremely difficult without a pick). I prefer the sound from a pick. It's sharper and I can get more bite out of it than I can with fingers. It all depends on the style though.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Last edited by isabiggles at Aug 24, 2010,
Page 1 of 2