See the Thread Title.

I haven't a lot of experience with this stuff, so I'd love to get a concise answer.

Also, if it were okay, could I use a instrument cable instead of a speaker cable?

Edit, if you need to know which kinds, it would be an ENGL Powerball into a Squier SP-10.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Last edited by Junnage at Aug 24, 2010,
No you cant, you must use speaker cable....wait a second...your trolling aren't you? Unless your trying to blow up the 10 in that practice amp I wouldn't recommend it. Plus you need to know the resistances of the speaker and the amp.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Aug 24, 2010,
I have a strange feeling that the combo doesn't have the proper wattage.

For this to work, you would need to use the speaker cable attached to the combo's speakers, and you would need to match up the impedance and make sure you have sufficient wattage.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Don't make the same mistake that some people do, which is using a cable to connect the amp's speaker output to the combo's speaker output, or to the combo's guitar input. Make sure you're actually using the combo's speakers.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Aug 24, 2010,
what are the amps in question? no you can't plug the output of the head into the input of the amp. you have to connect the head directly to the speaker.

the speaker must be able to handle the wattage and have the right impedance of the head too.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Junnage

Edit, if you need to know which kinds, it would be an ENGL Powerball into a Squier SP-10.

Just...

If you have enough money for a Powerball, you can have enough money for a decent cab to go with it.

edit;

not sure if serious....

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Last edited by Chrisiphone at Aug 24, 2010,
If you do that you are going to get into all kinds of trouble......

Get a cab with the corresponding ohms and use a speaker cable. If you put the speaker out on that amp into the input on that squier, you are gunna make something go boom.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Holy shit man, don't do that. It's dishonorable to the ENGL.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by SEALSniper1152
you can use any 1/4" cable, but there is no good way to run an amp head through a combo

For what it's worth, I don't have a cab at the moment, I just run my 6505 through my VHT's speakers. They're running at 4 ohms and 150W, and it works out just fine.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by SEALSniper1152
you can use any 1/4" cable, but there is no good way to run an amp head through a combo
Wrong and wrong. If you use an instrument cable, there's a change it can't handle the wattage. It may require some modding, but if you connect a head's speaker out to the combo's speakers, there's no reason it won't work.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by DrNick
For what it's worth, I don't have a cab at the moment, I just run my 6505 through my VHT's speakers. They're running at 4 ohms and 150W, and it works out just fine.

I think he means running it through the amp, not just borrowing the speakers.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Hahahaha, Powerball into a sp-10.

Gotta be a troll.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by teamhex
No you cant, you must use speaker cable....wait a second...your trolling aren't you...

Unfortunately I'm not trolling. I'm really a noob to this kind of shit. It's my first head + ...err, no cabinet.

Quote by DrNick
I have a strange feeling that the combo doesn't have the proper wattage.

For this to work, you would need to use the speaker cable attached to the combo's speakers, and you would need to match up the impedance and make sure you have sufficient wattage.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Don't make the same mistake that some people do, which is using a cable to connect the amp's speaker output to the combo's speaker output, or to the combo's guitar input. Make sure you're actually using the combo's speakers.

Okay, well then I'd probably have to buy a speaker cable. And I don't know how to check the impedance on the amp that it's going into.

And yeah, I made the same mistake people did do. The other day, I plugged the ENGL Powerball with a speaker cable into a Crate 120's input and it worked and set the EQ flat on the clean channel and it worked and sounded great.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
what are the amps in question? no you can't plug the output of the head into the input of the amp. you have to connect the head directly to the speaker.

the speaker must be able to handle the wattage and have the right impedance of the head too.

To answer again,

It is an ENGL Powerball going into a Squier SP-10.

Yesterday (or was it two days ago?) I used an ENGL Powerball into a Crate 120 Guitar Amp (don't know which kind specifically)

And how would I connect it directly to the speaker?

Quote by Chrisiphone

Just...

If you have enough money for a Powerball, you can have enough money for a decent cab to go with it.

edit;

not sure if serious....

Laugh all you want. Thanks for contributing, really. I mean, if I had enough money for a decent cab, wouldn't I already have bought one?

Quote by Talentless
If you do that you are going to get into all kinds of trouble......

Get a cab with the corresponding ohms and use a speaker cable. If you put the speaker out on that amp into the input on that squier, you are gunna make something go boom.

I had that impending doom feeling about it, which is why I decided to consult GG&A

I haven't gotten a cab because I can't afford one right now and won't be able to until some of my other gear shit sells.

Quote by Kanthras
Holy shit man, don't do that. It's dishonorable to the ENGL.

Wish I didn't have to bro, but money's tight, no choice.

Quote by FuzzLove
Hahahaha, Powerball into a sp-10.

Gotta be a troll.

Hahaha I wish I was trolling.

I literally have zero knowledge about this, so that's why I'm asking and pretending like I know a shitload of shit when I know...well jackshit.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Why have you spend so much money on guitars/amps/pedals and you havn't even bought a speaker cabinet???!?!?... I really do try and refrain from being mean to people on here, but that's just ridiculous.

If you get a good combo, there will be a speaker cable plugging into and speaker jack on the amp. Sadly the SP-10 dosn't have one of those.

Plus, the speaker in that combo will sound so absolutly god awful that there is no point in doing it.

You're just going to have to save for a cab, that's the only way that you're going to get a good sound from that amp.

I refuse to belive that you have such a profesional amp but you don't even know how to set it up!
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Junnage
Wish I didn't have to bro, but money's tight, no choice.
That sucks man. Well, I'm sure the ENGL will understand. If the impedance of the speaker is right, there is a way. But you'll need to keep the head turned down. If the speaker blows, damage to the head will follow.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

you cannot run your amp through the combo's speaker. 100watt head ---> 10watt speaker = certain disaster.

save up like you did for the engl and find a used 1x12 or 2x12 cab that can handle at least 100watts.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by FuzzLove
Why have you spend so much money on guitars/amps/pedals and you havn't even bought a speaker cabinet???!?!?... I really do try and refrain from being mean to people on here, but that's just ridiculous.

If you get a good combo, there will be a speaker cable plugging into and speaker jack on the amp. Sadly the SP-10 dosn't have one of those.

Plus, the speaker in that combo will sound so absolutly god awful that there is no point in doing it.

You're just going to have to save for a cab, that's the only way that you're going to get a good sound from that amp.

I refuse to belive that you have such a profesional amp but you don't even know how to set it up!

I do understand how ridiculous it is. And you can refuse to believe it, but to a point, it is true.

Quote by Kanthras
That sucks man. Well, I'm sure the ENGL will understand. If the impedance of the speaker is right, there is a way. But you'll need to keep the head turned down. If the speaker blows, damage to the head will follow.

Trust me, my baby does understand! And my ENGL can go with 4, 8 or 16 ohms!
Quote by UnsignedRecords
you cannot run your amp through the combo's speaker. 100watt head ---> 10watt speaker = certain disaster.

save up like you did for the engl and find a used 1x12 or 2x12 cab that can handle at least 100watts.

I figured that much, that's why I asked that crazy question.

Which 2x12 cab at least 100 Watts would you recommend. I was debating between a Mesa 2x12 (haven't decided which TYPE) and an Orange 2x12 so far, but I was hoping there would be a cheaper alternative (used, I mean).
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
i dunno which speakers go well with the powerball, but check out ebay for used avatar, mesa, orange, mills acoustics, etc cabs.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by Kanthras
Wrong and wrong. If you use an instrument cable, there's a change it can't handle the wattage. It may require some modding, but if you connect a head's speaker out to the combo's speakers, there's no reason it won't work.

It ain't gona work, I can promise you that right now, not sure what wattage the powerball is, I'm assuming 100 tube watts, but, lets, see, 100 tube watts into a little practice amp that is 15 SS watts and has a 4.5 in speaker.........

You do the math, the damn thing will catch on fire.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It ain't gona work, I can promise you that right now, not sure what wattage the powerball is, I'm assuming 100 tube watts, but, lets, see, 100 tube watts into a little practice amp that is 15 SS watts and has a 4.5 in speaker.........

You do the math, the damn thing will catch on fire.

Just for the record, it's 10 SS watts and has an 8 inch speaker!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

But yeah, my question's been answered.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Both Orange and Mesa cabs are awsome in both construction and speaker quality, you couldn't go wrong with either really.

Orange cabs have Celestion V-30 speakers, which are abit too harsh sounding for me.

Most Mesa's have Black Shadows, I have one of those in my amp, it sounds great.

But there are many different speaker combinations that you can have, in many different cabs, it all depends on what sound you're after.