So, as some of you may know I started playing bass more and more like I used to. Anyways, right now I'm doing quite well, I've got muting (which was a problem I had since day 1 of playing bass) fixed, and I'm learning more songs and stuff.

Right now, I'm trying to fix my pressure issues. I'd just like to ask you guys...are there any exercises that would help me not play as hard? If you understand what I mean

Also, I'd like to start playing more by ear. Right now I'm relying mostly on TAB and sheet music, but I'll be honest, TAB is what I usually learn my songs with, and many of you think that isn't as good. I know the best way to learn is by ear, but I just can't seem to learn Any tips? Would trying to learn the Nightmare album by A7X be a good way to start learning by ear?

Finally, scales. Holy shit scales. Right now I know this one, which goes like:

G---------------2-4-5--
D-------2-3-5----------
A-3--5------------------
E------------------------

hope that came out right...

But I don't even know what it is (although I think it's a major scale...by how it sounds)...what scales should I learn, How, can anyone give me a basic lessons on scales haha?

Anyways, that's it for now. Sorry if it's a big thread, but I just got back to bass and I want to make sure I'm doing things right!
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by salgala2000
If my singing is correct yes it is a major scale.
Don't play so hard, well... Just don't play so hard lol.
To start learning by ear, try to learn easy songs where bass is just the root note, figure out the note.
No i do not think a7x is a good place to start.

A7X is pretty easy

haha, what would you recommend?
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
I listen to almost everything (except Country Music and Rap (although some is aight ), so just suggest something and i'll give it a try

Quote by Deliriumbassist
You'll be a lot more driven to learn something that you enjoy listening to, so stick with A7X if that's what you like.

Yeah, but I don't know if I should start there, or with something else that could be a little more simple
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
Last edited by Rancid Ivy at Aug 24, 2010,
Ok. dbassist said you'll be more driven so if you think you can go for it. I don't listen to metal that much so i can't reccomend you stuff like that.
U2-Where the streets have no name
Wild thing
House of the rising sun
Strokes- Reptilia
Blink 182
Tom Petty- Free fallin

BEST SUGGESTION: Go on youtube and search up, backing tracks. Most of them will be fairly simple, they usually tell you what key your in, so it's easier
Quote by salgala2000
Ok. dbassist said you'll be more driven so if you think you can go for it. I don't listen to metal that much so i can't reccomend you stuff like that.
U2-Where the streets have no name
Wild thing
House of the rising sun
Strokes- Reptilia
Blink 182
Tom Petty- Free fallin

BEST SUGGESTION: Go on youtube and search up, backing tracks. Most of them will be fairly simple, they usually tell you what key your in, so it's easier

Good idea with Blink-182, funny how i didn't even think about them. I already learned their version of Another Girl, Another Planet by ear, so I think I'd be able to learn more of their songs, even if they aren't exactly my favorite band

And, I dont think A7X would be a great idea, seeing as they often drop tune and I'm used to Standard Tuning more
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
As for the pressure problems, just think about this as a motivator.. the lighter you are with both hands, the faster you'll be able to play in the long run. Your left hand should push down as lightly as possible while allowing the note to ring out with no buzzing. Your right hand should pluck as lightly as possible. Looking back, you're asking for exercises.. alas I don't know any personally, sorry. I guess just try to keep that stuff in mind whenever you play anything.

I would recommend practicing the major scale pattern (yes that is the major scale) all over the neck. In addition, I would learn the minor scale pattern, and then seek to understand both.

As for figuring out things by ear, my only advice is to start simple. Trying to learn songs that you like is sound advice, but if it's too difficult (nothing to be ashamed of, we all start somewhere) I would try to find a song with a very clear bassline. Every song you figure out will help you understand, and figuring things out gets easier every time. I started by going through my music library on shuffle, and if a song was too hard to figure out, I'd skip it and go to the next one. If you can figure out what key a song is in, you can often use the major and minor scale patterns to help you figure out the basslines with ease.

Sorry for the long post, I hope at least some of this helps!
Gear:

Fender Jazz
Spector Legend Custom 5
Yamaha BB415

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
Last edited by kamayzing at Aug 24, 2010,
Yeah it did, and you made me realize that I have no idea what a "key" is and how to know in what "key" I'm playing in. I've seen those terms around all the time but I never bothered to learn them, back when I first started playing Can anyone elaborate?
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
Well you may start out by choosing a single lick or maybe just find the tonal centers of songs to start out.
If you start out being like "I'M GOING TO LEARN THIS ENTIRE SONG RIGHT NOW" Then you'll get frustrated because (most likely) you won't be able to get it all right.
If you figure out one riff from your favorite song, you feel great. Come back the next day and learn another, maybe 2 if you're feeling zealous. And write them down so you don't forget.

To not play as hard, simply don't play as hard =P But make it a conscious effort. Push the strings down just far enough to get the sound out. Do this for one note at a time, pick a note, fret it as lightly as you can, just until the sound comes out (clearly, no buzz), lift your finger up and do it again. Then do another finger, then do them in succession, then do entire scales, arpeggios, riffs.

As for scales.. It'd be hard to give you all the information you need to know. Yes, the scale you posted is a major scale. 1 of the 3 Major modes that can be made from the major scale. (not sure if thats the right wording.. maybe someone can word it better...)
If you want to experiment with scales, take the scale you posted above (which is an "Ionian" scale. The 1st mode. This is the root. It's the scale you would use if someone said "Play a song in C)... but start on the 2nd note and play through it (without changing any of the notes), thats called Dorian, the 2nd mode. Then start on the 3rd note, thats Phrygian and so on.

You can learn them all that way, or you can think of scales as they are related to the root scale.
So, using the scale in the OP, thats C Ionian (or C Major, they're synonymous). If you want C Dorian, you would say it's a flat 3rd and 7th. As in the 3rd and 7th notes in the scale are flat. And so on through the modes.

This may be all over your head atm. But ask one of your friends who knows theory, or do a google search, there are many pages that break it all down for you.

EDIT: It will be a lot easier if you learn what the notes on the bass are. It's not essential to be able to read music, but knowing where the notes are and how they relate to each other and their position on the bass makes things a lot better.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Aug 24, 2010,
Yeah, I already know where the notes are on the bass
Thanks man, that was pretty helpful. I'll have to read it over again, but I think that post'll help me a lot, thanks!
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
Yeah I have a habit of making long rambling posts... But I hope you can pull some sense out of it =P

Awesome name by the way. Rancid n OpIvy rule.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol