What guitar parts of this song would you suggest I play? I know the solo, but its a bit strange to wait 4 minutes to play your first note of the song if you're playing alongside the track. Since theres like 6 or so guitars in it, I don't know what parts I should be playing. I was thinking playing the acoustic intro and then anything that sounds slightly electric, what do you think?
What do we think? What do you think? You're the one who wants to play the song. Think about which aspects of the song strike you the most, i.e the melody, the chord progression, and then play it. There's no reason you shouldn't know the chords from start to finish. Learning the lead is an exercise in futility if you haven't used to your ear first to understand why that lead fits with the chords underneath.

Basically, you should be trying to capture the aspects of the song that strikes you the most. You should, at the very least, be able to play to play along with the the entire song using basic chords.
Quote by Johnbobman
but its a bit strange to wait 4 minutes to play your first note of the song if you're playing alongside the track.

How about playing the electric guitar part that is throughout the song rather than just wait for the solo.
Quote by Johnbobman
What guitar parts of this song would you suggest I play? I know the solo, but its a bit strange to wait 4 minutes to play your first note of the song if you're playing alongside the track. Since theres like 6 or so guitars in it, I don't know what parts I should be playing. I was thinking playing the acoustic intro and then anything that sounds slightly electric, what do you think?

John-

I can only suggest the parts you MUST play --

Capo at fret 7 and play acoustic guitar 1. I would take it all the way to chorus 1.
All of the chorus fills played by electric guitar 2.
Play electric guitar parts 5 & 6 in unison in verses 4 and 6.
The main electric guitar solo exchange followed by the outro.

You can fill in in between with the rhythm guitar parts you like most, there's a bunch of them.

http://www.guitargurudirect.com/HotelCalifornia-TheEagles.php