Looking for some guidance GG&A, I have a chance to get a TC Electronics Classic Phaser for £100 which is a nice deal (normally its about £180), I've been looking to get a decent phaser now for mainly Frusciante-esque solo stuff and some Radiohead stuff, and it would be nice to get something different from the usual small stone / phase 90/100 with a bit more options for tweaking. So, should I go for it?
Last edited by greenwoodfan93 at Aug 24, 2010,
Hate to bump, but I'd love a bit more feedback, this is my last day to go for the pedal, so I'd love to hear as much about it as possible. Cheers guys.
I haven't tried it myself, but at that price you might as well check it out and flip it if you you don't like it
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Cheers for the replies guys, I think I'll go for it, I've heard a few things about there not being much low end with it, but hey, I can always flip it if I don't get on with it, and most I've heard has been relatively favourable.
If it's the XII phaser or the XIIBK phaser and the "original" not the Classic or Vintage series of late, definitely go for it. I have two XII and two XIIBK phasers made in the 70"s and 80's and they are staples on my boards. Awesome sound, you can connect an expression pedal into the Program jack and utilize it as a "Vibe" pedal when you set the filter at 12. If the phaser comes w/ the blue and red TRS plugs for the Program jack, that is a bonus. The plugs have resistors in them that help alter high or low ends.
That is an excellent price, nab it.
Quote by jnepo1
If it's the XII phaser or the XIIBK phaser and the "original" not the Classic or Vintage series of late, definitely go for it. I have two XII and two XIIBK phasers made in the 70"s and 80's and they are staples on my boards. Awesome sound, you can connect an expression pedal into the Program jack and utilize it as a "Vibe" pedal when you set the filter at 12. If the phaser comes w/ the blue and red TRS plugs for the Program jack, that is a bonus. The plugs have resistors in them that help alter high or low ends.
That is an excellent price, nab it.

Ah thanks for the info, I think the one I'm looking at is the XII of the Classic series, its not the same as the one I saw on your board (which is looking awesome btw), do you know about any significant difference between the older 'original' pedals, like yours, and the newer classic series? Cheers.
I have never played through the classic series stuff. From my understanding, although I could be wrong, the guys at T-Rex were engineers from TC Electronic. T-Rex went into a licensing agreement to build TC stuff to be marketed under the TC name. Supposedly they are similar in sound, although the physical layout is different, the controls are still the same. To date, the "Classic" and "Vintage" pedals are no longer in production, as the agreement between TC and T-Rex have expired. The biggest difference between the original to the "classic is the lack of the "program" jack and the external bypass jack for an additional on/off switch. The "classic" line is also powered via a center negative 9V power source and the original was powered thru a positive tip source. At that price, I would still get it.